Video streaming service Shomi to shut down

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Video streaming service Shomi to shut down

Post by oneh2obabe »

Video streaming service Shomi announced Monday it will shut down at the end of November, two years after it launched.

"The business climate and online video marketplace have changed markedly in the last few years," David Asch, senior vice-president and general manager for Shomi, said in a statement.

"Combined with the fact that the business is more challenging to operate than we expected, we've decided to wind down our operations."

Asch said the company remains proud of the service it launched and the role it play in evolving video landscape in Canada.

More at link
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/sh ... -1.3779675
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Video streaming service Shomi to shut down

Post by GordonH »

If anyone is wondering who owns Shomi, Rogers & Shaw are the owners.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Said that in the article - also stated that the market "changed markedly in the last few years" yet Shomi was only launched two years ago. It seems the challenge of competing appears to be the downfall. How different is it from Netflix? I have no idea about either of them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Wondering if Bell service will be doing the same thing soon, its called Crave TV.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Wondering if Bell service will be doing the same thing soon, its called Crave TV.

That's what Telus pushes too. Had it for awhile but it seemed that a lot of the content you had to pay extra to watch.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Wondering if Bell service will be doing the same thing soon, its called Crave TV.

Bsuds wrote:That's what Telus pushes too. Had it for awhile but it seemed that a lot of the content you had to pay extra to watch.

Makes sence since Bell & Telus use each other cell towers.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Had Shomi for 8 months through Shaw, cancelled it 2 weeks ago. Watched MAYBE 10 movies in that time...........it was definitely a distant cousin to Netflix. The Netflix Original Series won me over. If only Netflix was a little faster putting newer releases out.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

gosh darn!! canadian content couldnt compete? hoodathunk? canada needs to strive to make better shows. not content subsidized ones.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”