More Ads on TV, Just Global, Just Shaw ?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
my5cents
Guru

More Ads on TV, Just Global, Just Shaw ?

Post by my5cents »

I've been noticing an annoying intrusion to my TV watching enjoyment.

Initially I was just annoyed on principle.

I'll explain. You've just endured a 3 minute ad slot on a program you are watching. Or, you have just fast forwarded or skipped through three minutes +/- of ads. The program begins and a few seconds later the bottom ¼ of the screen displays an ad.

Great way to force your viewer to watch your ad, since it's being shown during the TV show.

I haven't liked it, but endured it, without taking real notice. Most ads as I recall have been "watch so and so program on such and such date on this station".

More recently it has been Shaw ads. Some white cartoon figure on a light blue background, advertising fast internet or whatever.

Then the other night the "ad overlay" appeared during a portion of the program where there were English subtitles. The characters were speaking in German. All I could see was the end of a word "se"

The rest of the subtitles were blocked by the white cartoon figure and "Power your business with our fastest WiFi Ever. Shaw) Business" blocking the bottom ¼ of the screen ¾ of the way across the screen.

Now, the station was Global (owned by Shaw) and the ad was a Shaw ad, it got me thinking, is this just a Shaw thing ?

Also I think the CRTC regulates how many minutes of ads can be run during a hour of TV during certain times of the day. So is this "overlay" Shaw's attempt on squeezing in more ad time ? The three minutes of ads wasn't enough ?
Attachments
Shaw Ad on Global b.png
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
driveangry
Übergod

Re: More Ads on TV, Just Global, Just Shaw ?

Post by driveangry »

LOL, I was just watching the news during lunch and was thinking that it would be nice to see some news and weather during the GlobalBC Noon Commercial Hour.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

driveangry wrote:LOL, I was just watching the news during lunch and was thinking that it would be nice to see some news and weather during the GlobalBC Noon Commercial Hour.

... and plus the ..."News" isn't new. Every subsequent news cast is at least ¾ the same "news" as the previous news slot. And the "Breaking News" is a joke, something that happened earlier today. I remember back when "Breaking News" meant something just happened.

Some of the news segments get very stupid, when you have two or three day old news being recycled.

During wildfire season I get sick and tired of seeing the same water drop for weeks and weeks.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I have not seen the ads you are talking about, of course only time I watch any of Global channels is when golf is happening.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Yes very annoying. The internet forums are full of negative comments about this. Just one more reason cable is dead. Netflix is the way to go. Cable companies are desperate for revenue, they know people skip the traditional commercials so they got creative. Probably hired some punk 'genius' right out of university who thought this would be a good idea. Bad.
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”