Brutal 2016 losses!

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Brutal 2016 losses!

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Prince
David Bowie
Robert Vaughn
Leonard Cohen
Gene Wilder
Rick Parfitt
Muhammad Ali
Glen Frey
Merle Haggard
Dan Haggarty
Florence Henderson
Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer)
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bman wrote:The heroine of an entire generation?
She was an actor.
Merely.
No more special that the other hundreds of thousands that will die today.

I'll never understand why peeps worship artists as godlike.

It's quite evident that there are things you don't understand.

I don't see anyone diminishing the value of any lives lost, wherever on the globe they may be.

I also don't see any worshiping going on really.

What I do see is that for many of us, the numerous losses this past year, are people we sort of grew up with, in a manner of speaking.

These deaths are particularly significant to those coming from the same generation, and their loss is a glaring reminder to us of how short life is, and how we might well be next, so naturally it strikes a chord.

I think you are simply reading too much into it!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I find that reading the daily local obits much more significant than that of an artist that probably not one person reading this post ever met.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Bman wrote:The heroine of an entire generation?
She was an actor.
Merely.
No more special that the other hundreds of thousands that will die today.

I'll never understand why peeps worship artists as godlike.

I agree. I mourn those I know and connect with, not celebrity as I do not know them, nor are they my family.

I find it odd to have such an emotional connection with a person that honestly you do not know only how the media paints them.

I do think that it Ok to feel empathy for the family has it's always devastating to lose a loved one. I think it also fair to say you will miss their art.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Bman wrote:I find that reading the daily local obits much more significant than that of an artist that probably not one person reading this post ever met.

I get what you're saying. I can't speak for everyone, but for me it isn't so much the loss of the person that gets to me, it's knowing that's the end of whatever it was that they gave to us. There will be no new songs from Prince, no new books from Richard Adams, no new movies with Carrie Fisher. Some famous people die and it doesn't bother me, but some, because of what they did, are part of my world. :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

WeatherWoman wrote:I agree. I mourn those I know and connect with, not celebrity as I do not know them, nor are they my family.
I find it odd to have such an emotional connection with a person that honestly you do not know only how the media paints them.

That's the whole point, most mourn those they have a connection with, but that connection doesn't necessarily have to mean by blood.

There's not too many of my generation who don't know who Florence Henderson was, and The Brady Bunch was a regular staple of our entertainment diet. We connected with her art, and we won't see her in anything anymore ever again, so in that regard it's a loss to us. Same with Carrie Fisher.

As far as I'm concerned these are more of a loss in fact, (because of that connection) than reading obituaries of people who perhaps may be local, but I still don't know from Adam, and they never touched my life in any way, fashion, or form, so why would I be demonstrating any feelings of loss? Empathy for their survivors yes, but loss not so much.

I'm of the mind that that is perfectly normal.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Some me someone who didn't feel the wind go out of them when the learned John Lennon was shot dead.

This thread is about pop culture and cultural icons, not Mrs. Smith we knew back in grade six.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Queen K wrote:Some me someone who didn't feel the wind go out of them when the learned John Lennon was shot dead.

Or John F. Kennedy, Princess Diana, Elvis Presley, and so on.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

None of them affected me when they died. Not a bit.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I know someone who still mourns elvis Presleys death.
I laugh out loud every time she expresses her sorrow.

She doesn't come around much anymore...
Probably a good thing, since she's so emotionally fragile.

She didn't even know the guy.

I mean, geez. It's been what? 40 years?
Get a grip.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/ru ... -1.3912548

I don't know if 92 unfound, unfamous, choir members who happen to be Russian is considered a "brutal loss" by North Americans, unless you consider that in their last moments all of them as people would have been utterly terrified.

I consider that brutal, no matter what year it is, no matter what nationality.

If we go further, thousands died in the Mediterranean seeking a better life.
Thousands died in Yemen. Saudia Arabia executed a Prince of their own.
A plane loaded with young soccer talent crashed last month. All but a few died.

It's been a brutal year.
Last edited by Queen K on Dec 27th, 2016, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Bman wrote:I know someone who still mourns elvis Presleys death.
I laugh out loud every time she expresses her sorrow.

She doesn't come around much anymore...
Probably a good thing, since she's so emotionally fragile.

She didn't even know the guy.

I mean, geez. It's been what? 40 years?
Get a grip.

I know someone same, same...They even have a shrine (so to speak)
in their house.

Crazy..

Now my Dale Earnhardt memorabilia all on one shelf is different! :D
Don't dis "The Intimidator"

I was a young teenager when Elvis died and I know exactly where I was when I
heard the news, not even a very big fan.

Weird how some things stick with you.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I know where I was when Princess Diana died but can't think of where when it was announced Muhammod Ali died.

We all have different affiliations in our psyches for cultural icons.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Entertainment such as music, movies and books (literature) are all avenues that have taken most of us away from reality for periods of time. Each of us is different in how we have reacted to the "entertainers" in our lives. Music has and always will be a big part of my life going back to the 60's........Rock and Roll, Blues and very little Country. So many "classic" songs that I hear today bring back memories of moments and events in my life that were very important to me then and even now. I can never relive those times in my life but I am surrounded by timeless music and will never forget it. It was truly an epic period for music.

So........when the "entertainers" we appreciated so long ago leave us today, YES.........many of us do have a personnel connection in that THEIR lives and musical creative abilities changed our lives and "took us away"..........sometimes from horrific personnel and world events.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Do we usually think of famous Canadians as worthy of a list dedicated to the ones who died? Nope, not usually.

But here is a short list from Castanet and I'm including it. Note the scientist at the end of the list, Apollo program and all.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#184618

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”