Good for you recipes

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Good for you recipes

Post by perspicacious »

With all this talk about new years resolutions and people wanting to get healthy and fit, I thought it would be kind of cool to start a thread on healthy meals/snack ideas to help eachother achieve their goals. The ideas is to post a recipe of snacks or meals that you've discovered that is in your rotation of meals that are good but also healthy.

I'll start!

When I am craving something sweet I get a bowl with a about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of yogurt (either plain or vanilla flavoured) and throw in a handful of frozen berries (either blueberries or raspberries). The berries cool the yogurt down fast and it's like having frozen yogurt. Got this idea from my trainer at the gym during a workout.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
KatRaven1

Re: Good for you recipes

Post by KatRaven1 »

Some Cheerios added to that is quite nice also.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Kind of defeats the purpose of keeping it healthy don't ya think? Just looking for those who actually want to have a support thread of good for you meals and snacks.
KatRaven1

Post by KatRaven1 »

Depends what you are going for. This recipe is also from a fitness challenge I did. If you are in a carb loading phase. It's good
Everybody's fitness/health goals are different. And there are different ways in reaching these goals
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

I love yogurt with frozen fruit too!
My problem is carbs... love them and need to try cut them out more.

I make my own protein bars. I can pronounce everything in them and they are satisfying. I got mine on Pinterest, searched and searched until I found one that works for me.

Protein Bar Recipe

1 cup oats
1/2 cup whey protein powder (I use Kaizen vanilla, but any flavor works)
1/2 cup cereal of your choice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 beaten egg whites
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup nuts (I use pumpkin and sunflower seeds mixed)
1/4 raisons
2 TBSP peanut butter (all natural - I use Adams)

Preheat oven to 325F
Line baking pan with parchment or spray cooking spray
Mix dry ingredients
In seperate bown combine all others
Add together, mix well, form into your pan
Bake about 30 minutes
Done!
Cut into sections and let cool before you take them apart.

This is extremely versatile and can substitute nuts and dried fruit with whichever you like. Same goes with the nut butter and honey.

Enjoy! ~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

KatRaven1 wrote:Depends what you are going for. This recipe is also from a fitness challenge I did. If you are in a carb loading phase. It's good
Everybody's fitness/health goals are different. And there are different ways in reaching these goals

True, very true. I retract my prior comment!
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

I'll post a salad recipe I made up after much googling for a new recipe. I tend to look at many recipes and modify them to my taste:

For those beet lovers!

Beet Salad

Ingredients:

3-4 large beets
2-3 good sized carrots
1/4 - 1/2 Red Onion *depends on how much you like onions
Goat Cheese

Dressing:

3 tbsps. Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1-2 tbsp Honey or Agave
Salt & Pepper

Directions:

Pre heat oven to 375deg
Wash and cut top and bottom of beets. Drizzle olive oil, salt & pepper to lightly coat then wrap each beet separately in aluminum foil. Put on cookie sheet and bake in oven for approximately 45-60mins or until soft to touch. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before unwrapping. Once slightly cooled, unwrap and cut skin off and then chop beets into squares and put in bowl. As beets are cooling, peel carrots and cut to little rounds. Boil water and add carrots and boil until they are cooked, drain and put drained cooked carrots in bowl.Cut 1/4 or 1/2 red onion into any size or slices that you prefer, add raw to bowl.

In a small bowl mix 3tbsp of balsamic vinegar, 1/4cup olive oil, 1 tsp of Dijon mustard and 1 - 2 tbsp of honey or agave. Mix and taste, add more honey if needed. I usually prepare to taste. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Mix dressing in with beets, onion and carrots and blend together. Top with fresh goat cheese. Can be made ahead of time as a cold salad, but I prefer it served warm as the goat cheese melts with the warm ingredients. Very tasty salad and good for you too. You can use canned beets, but fresh is always best.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

just feast your eyes on these golden tipped beauties....

spinach potato nests.jpg

I've already placed my request in with the chef ....Oohhh yeah!

http://mayihavethatrecipe.com/not-just- ... est-bites/
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

That looks yummy!!

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”