Travelling to Mexican All-inclusive

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Travelling to Mexican All-inclusive

Post by Pat-Taporter »

TylerM4

Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't get all the details of your earlier post.

Regarding Xel-ha—here’s one price that I found online for a family of four. It seems to be more in line with what we paid on walk-up. C$303

But this is the most basic package. Please read about what’s included below compared to the link you posted.

https://www.getyourguide.com/cancun-l15 ... 0e5134e454

Also, regarding the colectivo to Xel-ha, just ask at the Palladium about were and how to catch it. Round trip for four would be about 400 pesos. It’s a bit of a walk into the park from the highway. So you might consider having the Palladium get you a ‘quoted’ round trip cab for convenience.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

LOL one time we got a 50 peso cab ride from Tulum to Akumal Sur. Of course we gave the driver a 50 peso tip.

Also, for first timers, if you take the collectivo going south from the Palladium to Xel-ha (or going from Playa to Tulum) don’t freak out if it deeks off the highway into places like Akumal Pueblo and / or Chemeuyil to pick up or drop off passengers. The bonus is you’ll catch a glimpse of how the workerbees live. And a few of the restaurants in the little towns are really-really good too. Once, we got a rare and special serving of the ultra poisonous lion fish at El Ultimo Maya in Akumal Sur, and there’s a 'genuine' back street bar in Chemeuyil that serves beer and botanas (the free non-stop variety of Mexican finger food or canapes from the kitchen both hot and cold for as long as you care to stay and imbibe). In any of these places you can definitely practice your 'dos cervecaz por favor, muchas gracias, and mi gusta'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh sorry, and always ask your sever in these places if anything is picante (hot spice). And if it is, then try just the teensy weenciest taste to start. Aside from that, the rule that has worked for us with offsite food so far has been ‘the Mexicans really wouldn’t want to poison their own.”

Also at the Super Pool Express tienda in Chemeuyil we found they stocked a particular (LOL I forget the name) bottle of white rum for around 70 pesos. We thought it would taste like paint-remover, but what the heck, and it turned out to be great. From then on, that’s what went into the blender. It seems booze can be found cheap most everywhere local: it’s the beer and wine that can be expensive.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Of the 3 "X" excursions I've done, I'd rank them:

#1 Xplor
#2 Xel-Ha
#3 Xcaret

I've done Xel-Ha a few times and it's great, but the zip-lines at Xplor are just amazing. They're very different experiences and both are great though. Xcaret is just way too much walking for my liking.

On your way home, you'll get picked up around 4 hours before your departure time so you'll have time to kill at the airport. The duty free shop is huge and the selection of tequila is great... a lot of free samples for the taking too! Grab a bite to eat at Guy Fieri's and get the wings... they're some of the best wings I've ever had. I like the food there better than the Margaritaville.

When you land at the airport, walk right past all the guys offering to take your bags. Just go outside and find your tour operator and they'll direct you to your ground transportation. Drop your bags at your van/bus and go grab a few beers for the ride. There's a bar just outside and they'll take pesos or US $.

Buy some floatie pool toys off Amazon... they've got some decent ones for $10. They're awesome to have in the ocean or the pool. Everyone will be jealous of them. They cost 3x that at the resort.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Treat the servers and house keeping staff well. Treat all Mexicans with respect. Buy your pesos before you leave. Don't pay with US dollars. Say hola to every resort worker you see. Cabs are cheap. Collectivos are crowded but an experience. Bar tenders don't all move around the resort so if you find one you like, ask him where he is most of the time, tip him with 100 pesos, shake his hand and move to the front of the line. Leave 20 or 40 pesos every day on your bed with a note the first day that says "para ti" and you will always get roses and animals made from towels. The water is fine. Be adventurous. Try picante. It's good. Go to Playa Del Carmen. It's a blast. It's pronounced plya, not play ya. It means beach. Take the ferry to Cozumel.

Don't get sucked into the cheap drinks in Playa. Don't cheat the vendors. They're not there to be cheated. Don't get arrested. It's surprisingly easy to get arrested if you're an a hole. Don't drink and drive. The drink with the worm is Mezcal, not tequila. Buy your take home booze at the airport. Don't lose the little card they give you on the plane when you are coming in to Mexico. Use the room safe. And last but not least, it's Mexico. Not anywhere else so don't get bent when stuff aint like it is at home. You will love it.

Vaya con dios.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Man am I ever glad I created this thread. Lots of good tidbits here - thanks all.

While we're at it. Does anyone have tips associated with bring Children along? My 3yo and 6yo boys are coming as well.

Tips for preventing sunburns on children other than frequent sunscreen and hats? They both have a fair complexion and will burn easily.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's clothing that shield the sun. I've seen adult clothing at Wholesale Sports so I would imagine there are other places in town that sell the same for children as well.
Funny this came up in a search:
http://www.walmart.ca/en/kc/fun-under-t ... 3029613000

Try MEC
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

Not sure about the area you are going, as we've gone to PV and surrounding area's a few times now....

1. To travel - we always took the chicken bus (short of the initial travel to and from your hotel). Chicken bus - didn't feel unsafe and was dirt cheap and quite an experience.
2. When you get to the airport do not get sucked into the people offering you transportation... your hotel will have a designated bus outside - usually its included in your price of your hotel. Don't even make eye contact with the others - huge money grabs
3. Go onto trip advisor and look at the reviews of the hotel - its too late to change, but thats where you find out the tips about the hotel. Like for my last hotel, wouldn't have known that they don't have face clothes (towels yes but no face clothes) or people will tell you about certain things that the hotel may neglect to mention.
4. On day one do not buy from the beach vendors or they will not leave you alone. Even if you want to "look" at something they don't understand "window shopping". So if there is something we want we wait till the last day to buy.
5. Stay away from the over priced touristy restaurants... Go online and look up the good local restaurants - usually AMAZING food, cheap drinks and great staff.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

We use a backpack as our beach bag. We take a snowboard lock to lock our bag to our chair when we're going to be away from them for awhile. We put our camera, money, Kindle, etc... in the same pocket, thread the lock cable through the zippers and around the chair, lock it, and can walk away essentially worry free for hours if we want. I'm sure it's safe without the lock, but it's just peace of mind for us for $10.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

TylerM4 wrote:Man am I ever glad I created this thread. Lots of good tidbits here - thanks all.

While we're at it. Does anyone have tips associated with bring Children along? My 3yo and 6yo boys are coming as well.

Tips for preventing sunburns on children other than frequent sunscreen and hats? They both have a fair complexion and will burn easily.

Kids and babies are cool in Mexico.

If you find you need it, there's a medical clinic with an English speaking staff and doctor on the main street of Akumal Pueblo (the village on the west side of the highway going south).

Consciously, constantly seek out shade. But even in the shade they can get a sunburn, so keep the other prevention methods at the max.

I probably don't need to mention this but,

Always, hand in hand, or hands on everywhere you go.

And lifevests when near the water.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Oh, and ear infections are most common in kids who play in the water. Maybe discuss this with your doctor before you go.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Dang, sorry, if you want mosquito repellant with DEET bring some from Canada.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I've been on quite a few all-inclusive vacations to Mexico and have never taken or used bug spray. The resorts all did a good job of controlling bugs. Only once, on a trip in Cuba to an "eco-resort" did I regret not having bug spray.

As a general tip to anyone going, I really enjoy resorts that don't require reservations for the a la carte restaurants. I like being able to just stay at the beach as long as I want and go at my own pace. We can take our time getting ready for dinner and just never feel rushed.

Also, adults only is what we almost always choose. I prefer not to be around kids on my vacations. But I know some resorts have excellent kids programs that will keep them entertained for most of the day.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Jonrox, packing the bug spray is just a precaution, especially with kids. I guess when you were there you never tried to get anything with an effective dose of DEET.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I have read some of the responses , but not all. Sorry for any duplicate info :

Bring peso's , or withdraw them from a bank affiliated ATM while you are down there. Buying US$ here and then using them there will end up costing you a lot more. Yes , most things have price tags showing US $ , because so many of their customers are american.
Get lots of small bills 20 peso , and 50 peso , for tipping. I leave a 50 for the maid each day , and also leave a 20 or a 50 in the minibar fridge for the guy who stocks it. He will jam it full if you leave a tip. I always leave a tip after meals , but don't usually tip bartenders (personal choice) . Have never felt like I was getting crap service because I was not tipping.

If you were 2 or three people , I would say just use the colectivo bus system , but larger groups are best to use taxi. Colectivo is used by the local workers. Walk out to the highway , the taxi there will always be cheaper than if you call one in to the resort. The drivers will aproach you with a price , which will go down right after you tell them you are planing on taking the colectivo. When we traveled with family , often there were 7 or 8 of us who wanted to go somewhere , so we did call a taxi to the lobby so we would get a 10 passenger van.

Palladium is a pretty good resort for first timers , because they have everything you need. Dedicate your first day to exploring , get to know the grounds and amenities around your part of the resort , bar , restaurant , snack bar , pool , etc.
If you go to the beach , and it is rocky in the water , just walk a little ways up or down the beach and find the spot that is perfect for you.

Don't book excursions through your travel company , or in advance from anyone for that matter. It is always a better deal to just walk up to the gate and buy a ticket. This way you aren't tied to a schedule either. I usually decide at breakfast what I want to do today. Sometimes it is weather dependent , a perfectly calm day would be good for snorkeling at akumal for example , while a very windy day might be better for Xel Ha or Xcaret.

Depending on how many are in your group , you might want to consider booking a private airport transfer through Canadian Transfers , or USA Transfers. They will be waiting for you at the airport , and you will be on your way long before the big bus pulls out , thus you arrive at the resort check in and have a drink before the line up even arrives. On the last day , you will likely be able to stay at the resort for an extra hour before heading to the airport.
Be sure to check if your flight home is on time. If it left Kelowna 3 hours late , it is going to leave Cancun 3 hours late as well. In December , we were stuck inside Cancun airport for an extra 2 1/2 hours , when we could have been enjoying our resort. Check out time is 12:00 , but you can eat and drink right up until the time you leave. The resort we go to (Barcelo) has a baggage storage area , change rooms , and showers available for late departers. ( most resorts do )

Have a look at your resort on google earth. There are miles of pure white sand beach to the north , and what looks like pretty good snorkeling areas to the south. Going out for a long walk up the coast is something I enjoy doing , not a great idea if you are towing the 3 year old though. Bring some bottled water , and good shoes or water shoes. The rocky parts of the coastline (called ironshore) is unbelievably jagged. (you will know what I'm talking about when you see it)

Most of all , have a great time. Appreciate the experience. Some people ruin their entire vacation looking for things to complain about.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

You might want to pack a fire extinguisher.

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/1860 ... can-resort
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”