Travelling to Mexican All-inclusive

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Travelling to Mexican All-inclusive

Post by TylerM4 »

Heading to my 1st all-inclusive trip to a Mexican resort and my 1st time in Mexico since a child.

Question: What currency should I bring with me? US Dollars or Pesos?

We'll be spending most of our time on the resort, but will likely go on a couple of excursions. Currency mostly needed for tipping the resort staff, paying for resort "extras", and for use while out on excursions (1 shopping trip, 1 snorkeling trip).

I'd think Pesos, but apparently US Dollars may be more desirable? :130:

While we're at it - any other tips for someone who's never been to an all-inclusive?
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Travelling to Mexican All-inclusive

Post by w84u2 »

TylerM4 wrote:Heading to my 1st all-inclusive trip to a Mexican resort and my 1st time in Mexico since a child.

We'll be spending most of our time on the resort, but will likely go on a couple of excursions. Currency mostly needed for tipping the resort staff, paying for resort "extras", and for use while out on excursions (1 shopping trip, 1 snorkeling trip).

While we're at it - any other tips for someone who's never been to an all-inclusive?

USD is preferred, most will quote you prices in $$$. Leave a couple of USDs on top of your in-suite fridge for the guy that comes and restocks it daily, he will make sure that you are well stocked every day for the rest of your trip. Remember that most employees there make $5/day in wages, giving a $2 tip is an incredible bonus to them. Try to use the same bar within your site, on the second day, tip $5 for two drinks, the next round ask for the Cadillac Margarita, be careful about how fast you drink that one though, it will be very strong.
When you go out shopping for souvenirs, never offer more than 1/2 the asking price, and be prepared to walk away if you don't get it, you will be surprised at how many times they will run after you and catch you at the door to agree to your price. When a Mexican vendor is angry after the sale, you know you have made a good deal.
Never buy anything from the beach vendors, they are always a rip off. They may say Ray-Ban on the label and they may only cost $20.....they are not Ray-Bans. Other things you buy, examine them very closely, like the zippers and buttons, and check the labels for where they were made, lots of stuff there that is made in China. Keep all of your receipts or make notes on what you paid for and how much, this will come in handy when you return to Canada.
Avoid shopping on the property stores, their prices are more than Walmart prices. Avoid all offers of free stuff, they all come with strings attached and are usually trying to get you into a timeshare seminar/sales pitch. Don't waste your time. You will be bombarded by these starting inside the airport.

Where are you going?
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

TylerM4 wrote:Heading to my 1st all-inclusive trip to a Mexican resort and my 1st time in Mexico since a child.

Tyler, I have been to Mexican all inclusive around 20 times and absolutely love it there. Where are you going and what resort? I always take American dollars and pesos. When the locals deal in American dollars they always round to an even dollar...so technically you can save money buying in pesos, albeit a small amount. Again, IMO this depends on what part of Mexico you are going to. If you do excusrsions from the hotel, just pay using a credit card. Depending on where you are going, excursions can be done on your own with local transportation, and can save hundreds of dollars for a couple doing a few excursions. You mention snorkeling....if possible go,to Costco and buy their adult snorkeling kit and save money and snorkel in front of the hotel or just ask someone at the resort where a good spot is...and then you don't have to rely on used snorkeling equipment. Tipping can go a long way and get you just about anything you want. If you want the fridge in your room stocked, leave a couple bucks in there..etc. take a travel mug for the swim up bar...keeps Drinks cold and much larger than the tiny plastic cups they provide. As far as safety is concerned, don't do anything that would,get you in trouble at home, be respectful and you will be fine. Brush up on your spanish, they really appreciate when you at least make an attempt speaking their language. A few words can go a long way. Oh, don't drink the water! Lol
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Bottled water is okay. If it is a good resort, check with the front desk about their filtration system before having ice in your drinks. GET YOUR Hep. "A" shot series. 60 days before departure. It takes 3 shots and the druggist can do it for you at the store.
Be very wary of drinking anything outside of your resort, take bottled water from your suite with you, drink lots of it during your outings. Stay well hydrated.

I rented a Jeep and traveled for a couple of days with it, but always took advantage of my included breakfast before leaving and was back by supper. DON'T drink and drive and be very cautious of your speed. Most tickets can be resolved roadside with cash. Getting stopped by the police can be a very un-nerving experience and rental cars are usually newer and white.....easy pickin's for the police.
Ola, donada, buenas noches, are the 3 most used words that you will be expected to know. Ola will be used the most.
Take lots of extra heavy duty sunscreen, too many have had their trips ruined by bad sunburns on the first day.
Take empty suit cases and fill them up while there, they do have some real good prices on some things. Don't buy anything that is illegal in Canada, like switch blades. Be very careful of buying anything electrical.
Remember that copyright and Brand-name laws do not apply in Mexico.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

This thread is great! I get to relive my own personal experiences all over again.

Always remember to be very careful. Keep your passport, credit/bank cards in your in-room safe. A drivers licence is plenty of ID for anything you may encounter. Keep your USD cash split into your 2 front pockets. NEVER bring out a large amount of cash in view of anyone. AND $20 bills are like $100 here. Take nothing larger, they won't have change.
Don't stick to your hotel site for your whole trip, get out and see as much as you can and explore what the country has to offer. I stayed in Los Cabos, but traveled to Cabos St Lucas, LePas, Toto Santos (Hotel California), and 4 wheeled in the desert with my Jeep.
Be proud of your Canadian citizenship, Mexicans prefer Canucks over Americans, we have a very good reputation down there. If possible, wear a Canadian flag on your clothing. Get off the beaten path and away from the typical tourist areas, prices are better and the people are nicer.
Be prepared, they are very aggressive with trying to get you into their store/shop/booth. That's okay, once you get used to it. One of the favorite phrases they use to catch your interest is "CHEAPER THAN WALMART"!!!! and "ALMOST FREE".
It's a great place to buy wallets, sandals, hats and blankets ( be careful about the blankets though, they will shrink!) and many other leather goods. Don't buy their booze! Get it at the airport Duty Free. Although, if you want a novelty Tequila, get a mickey with the worm or scorpion in the bottle.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Where are you going?

I’m a vet of the East coast (down the ‘Trans Canada’ highway).

Specific to your OP—

Take both Mexican pesos and US dollars. Order them ahead at your bank. As many of the smallest denominations that they’ll give you: 20 peso / 50 peso notes, and US five dollar bills. The Mexican ATMs usually dispense 200 peso notes similar in colour to our 20s but they are much less valuable—today 200.00 MXN = 12.48 CAD. A snorkel tour will usually have equipment available. You need stuff that is guaranteed to work, no leaky masks, and including vests. My favorite ‘tourista’ shopping strip on the East coast is main street Tulum. Favorite ‘fast food’ lunch there is Pollo Bronco https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_R ... nsula.html

Go easy on the number piña coladas you have in a day. The coconut milk can give newbies the trots. And, yes, always use bottled water—even to brush your teeth.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Oh, and my favorite words are:

Hola (hello), Buenos días (good morning); Buenas tardes (good afternoon); and Buenas noches (good evening).

Si (yes); Pour favor (please); Gracias (thanks); Muchas gracias (thanks very much); and the comeback to someone thanking you is De nada (you’re welcome).

And don’t forget Muy bien (very good).

Then there is Hasta luego (see you later); Hasta manana (see you tomorrow); and Audios (good bye).
Last edited by Pat-Taporter on Jan 10th, 2017, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Excellent, thanks all.

Did a little more research on TripAdvisor, and the general recommendation there is Pesos. USD also works but apparently you'll get a better price with Pesos and it saves the locals the hassle of exchanging. Also - apparently the best place to get your Pesos is at the hotel ATM as the ATM markup isn't any more than the currency exchange markup from local banks here in Canada. I would like to get my hands on smaller bills for tipping tho.

We are going to Mayan Riviera. Looks like it's a huge resort and a higher end all inclusive package. Family booked, so I didn't really do much of the research, etc. Resort is the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa.

I don't plan to drive. We'll take a bus/shuttle/cab for the 2 or 3 times we leave the resort. Someone told me not to use the travel/shuttles offered by the excursion operators as they fleece you on the cost. Anyone have any tips here?

Family has been talking about Shell-Ha and how we "HAVE" to go. Ah - actually spelled "Xel-ha". The website sure makes it seem like a nice place, but with a family of 4 we're looking at a $800-1000 day! Wow! Anyone been?
http://www.xelha.com/

Appreciate all the tips!
- Plan to bring my own insulated cup.
- Plan to bring my own snorkel and mask. Not sure if I'll bring the flippers.
- Lots of sunscreen and bug spray.
- Brush up on my Spanish.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

TylerM4 wrote:Excellent, thanks all.

Did a little more research on TripAdvisor, and the general recommendation there is Pesos. USD also works but apparently you'll get a better price with Pesos and it saves the locals the hassle of exchanging. Also - apparently the best place to get your Pesos is at the hotel ATM as the ATM markup isn't any more than the currency exchange markup from local banks here in Canada. I would like to get my hands on smaller bills for tipping tho.

We are going to Mayan Riviera. Looks like it's a huge resort and a higher end all inclusive package. Family booked, so I didn't really do much of the research, etc. Resort is the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa.

I don't plan to drive. We'll take a bus/shuttle/cab for the 2 or 3 times we leave the resort. Someone told me not to use the travel/shuttles offered by the excursion operators as they fleece you on the cost. Anyone have any tips here?

Family has been talking about Shell-Ha and how we "HAVE" to go. Ah - actually spelled "Xel-ha". The website sure makes it seem like a nice place, but with a family of 4 we're looking at a $800-1000 day! Wow! Anyone been?

The Mayan is very good for cabs and public transportation. If you go to Xel-ha, just take a cab there and just pay the entrance fee. That way you're not paying for an "excursion" but still see everything. If you walk out of the resort and go to the highway, you can catch their public bus. Very safe and have used many times. Take the bus to Playa for the day and take a cab back to resort. Can also take a cab to a Akumel for an awesome beach and amazing snorkeling. Good chance to see large turtles there....and some good restaurants there also. The Mayan is a great place, you will enjoy.

Appreciate all the tips!
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

TylerM4 wrote:Excellent, thanks all.

Appreciate all the tips!

You will enjoy that resort,I've stayed there 8 times. Which hotel are you in? They are all lovely, but it doesn't matter beacause you can enjoy the restaurants, bars, and amenities in all of them. If you get a rainy day, buy a pass to the spa and pools...a beautiful relaxing day with dicentra sauna, steam rooms and tubs. I also recommend the spa for services such as massage, etc.
Xel-ha is fun for a day, especially if some of the group are not experienced snorklers. If there are kids in your party, I would definitely recommend it. The reef at the resort is also good, lots of colourful fish and they have snorkels if you don't bring your own.
There is live music at at least one or two of the hotels every night if you like to dance. The Hemingway bar has top shelf alcohol and the sports bar is open 24 hours with lots of snacks and drinks for after partying. The beach bars are also 24hour and really good snacks but serve only wine/beer after midnight.
I can't say enough about tipping well, but I've found that for a two week stay we needed about 400 American.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I've been to the Grand Palladium as well. HUGE resort! Good times. Really great service as well.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Pat-Taporter wrote:Oh, and my favorite words are:

Ola (hello), Buenos días (good morning); Buenas tardes (good afternoon); and Buenas noches (good evening).

Si (yes); Pour favor (please); Gracias (thanks); Muchas gracias (thanks very much); and the comeback to someone thanking you is De nada (you’re welcome).

And don’t forget Muy bien (very good).

Then there is Hasta luego (see you later); Hasta manana (see you tomorrow); and Audios (good bye).

Besides the suggestions about money...the above by Pat-Taporter is an excellent one and goes a long, long way.

Learning a few phrases is es muy importante...even if you just try a little.

Phrases like: Cómo se dice esto en Español...how do you say this in Spanish? or Qué es esta llamada en Español

...what is this called in Spanish? or Dónde está el cuarto de baño...where is the restroom? Most Mexican's get a

bit of English even in Elementary School just like we do French.

Of course, knowing a few of the swears always seems interesting too.

For some reason, the swears have always been some of the first words I have 'mastered' in new languages I have learned.

:up:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Yeah, it's funny about the language because the more you go and try to use it the more you get to know by osmosis.
All of a sudden a few years ago I surprised myself when I realised I had a pretty good conversation with a cab driver and didn't even realize it until it was over. [icon_lol2.gif]

Also, TylerM4, you pretty much got it right from your research, depending on the size of the group, take a 'colectivo' for running up and down on the 'trans Canada', but I hope you get an included shuttle from the airport.

I know where you are, but for example, here's a quick reference to how the colectivos from Playa work.
http://everythingplayadelcarmen.com/how ... or-cancun/

And shoo pretty much nailed it about Xel-ha etc.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Wow, great info! I'm excited to hear of other castanetters who's been to the same resort. Lots of good tips! We are at the Kantenah hotel, I'm told it's the more family friendly of the group.

I read somewhere that the best strategy for tipping a bartender is to find a bar you like early on in the trip, and give the bartender something like a $50 tip. Anyone use this strategy? I plan to be in swim shorts most of the time and don't really want to bring cash around with me all of the time.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

TylerM4 wrote:Wow, great info! I'm excited to hear of other castanetters who's been to the same resort. Lots of good tips! We are at the Kantenah hotel, I'm told it's the more family friendly of the group.

I read somewhere that the best strategy for tipping a bartender is to find a bar you like early on in the trip, and give the bartender something like a $50 tip. Anyone use this strategy? I plan to be in swim shorts most of the time and don't really want to bring cash around with me all of the time.

Never a $50. Never more than $5.......Bartenders move from bar to bar within the resort every day.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”