Travelling to Mexican All-inclusive

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Travelling to Mexican All-inclusive

Post by TylerM4 »

The wife wants to go shopping :cry:

Thankfully she wants to visit a semi-authentic Mexican market rather than look at fake Gucci purses in some tourist trap. Doing some research, it seems that there is decent shopping in both Playa del Carmen and Tulum. However, the market at Playa del Carmen is much larger and only a little further away. So I'm thinking we'll head over to Playa del Carmen for a day.

I haven't been in mexico since I was 13yo and from what I remember shopping was a very different experience from Canada. No prices posted, everything bartered. If I remember correctly, the tour bus driver basically told us: "Do not pay their asking price. Good rule of thumb is you should target 1/2 of the initial asking price".

So anyway. Looking for any and all advice around a shopping trip.
- I don't know where in Playa del Carmen to actually go. Looks like a big place. Any streets/areas you can recommend?
- Feedback on the "Pay 1/2 of initial asking price" rule of thumb. Other negotiating strategies?
- Do all vendors expect you to barter? I understand there's a walmart in Cancun - I'd think their prices are fixed? How can I tell when to barter and when to pay the marked/asked price?
- What types of products? My wife loves authentic Mexican vanilla and I'm sure will look at cloths. I'll likely try to find a bottle of tequila. I think my mother in law came back with some really nice colored glassware. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Thank-you!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

T-shirts, lots of T-shirts! :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Bsuds wrote:T-shirts, lots of T-shirts! :biggrin:

I've been looking for a new "1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, Floor" shirt. The one I've got still looks decent to me but the wife says it's embarrassing when I wear it in public. Must be time for a new one! :up:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have learned to take less clothing on a trip than I need because I will buy enough to get through the trip.
Leave extra space in the luggage for it too. One trip we took an extra suitcase (inside another) knowing we would need it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

TylerM4 : There is a walmart in Playa del Carmen as well. Most of the tourists go to 5th avenue for shopping. It's mostly souvenirs and such there , and the merchants are quite aggressive. I enjoyed it the first couple of times I went there , not so much anymore. If you do go , go in the evening. If you see something you like , don't buy it because you will find it for way less a little further down the street. Even 1/2 a block away up any side street will be a more laid back and less touristy experience. At the far south end of 5th ave there is a nice shopping plaza with higher quality goods , and prices to match. It is a nice quiet retreat from the sensory overload of 5th. Relax on the patio of the Haagen Daz ice cream shop there.
Bartering is still done , but not as much flexibility as there used to be. Many things do have prices marked on them. Beware , the merchants are tricky , they will see your wristband and tell you that they were your waiter at the hotel and try to get you to buy something from them. There are also people there who will offer you a great deal on excursions , truth is they are trying to get you to attend a time share presentation. ( they get paid for every gringo they convince to attend )
Learning how to smile politely and say No Thank You is a must before venturing onto 5th Ave. My wife is a touch gullible and I had to drag her away from a few persistent folks.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

TylerM4 wrote:The wife wants to go shopping :cry:

Thankfully she wants to visit a semi-authentic Mexican market (what is semi-authentic?) rather than look at fake Gucci purses in some tourist trap. Doing some research, it seems that there is decent shopping in both Playa del Carmen and Tulum. However, the market at Playa del Carmen is much larger and only a little further away. So I'm thinking we'll head over to Playa del Carmen for a day.Playa is fun but busy. 5th ave is a long street with more shops than you can imagine and it's taxing being beckoned every 3 feet by vendors but remember, that is their livelihood and they depend on the tourist dollars. "no gacias" is the phrase most often used here. There is a "less authentic" area of shops at the south end, several of which will give you free shots of tequila. Be careful with that tough cuz aint noth in truly free.

I haven't been in mexico since I was 13yo and from what I remember shopping was a very different experience from Canada. No prices posted, everything bartered. If I remember correctly, the tour bus driver basically told us: "Do not pay their asking price. Good rule of thumb is you should target 1/2 of the initial asking price". Nope. Those days are gone.

So anyway. Looking for any and all advice around a shopping trip.
- I don't know where in Playa del Carmen to actually go. Looks like a big place. Big enough for sure. Any streets/areas you can recommend? Stay on fifth. One thing about Mexico is that one block East or West can take you places you maybe shouldn't be. Not saying that it's dangerous but there is no reason to go down some of them unless you want a more "authentic" perspective.
- Feedback on the "Pay 1/2 of initial asking price" rule of thumb. Other negotiating strategies? The beach vendors are the best ones to haggle with. Most of the shops have set prices but you can ask. Get used to being told no though. Never lose sight of the fact that this is their country and while everyone loves a deal, don't be insulting too them.
- Do all vendors expect you to barter? I understand there's a walmart in Cancun - I'd think their prices are fixed? How can I tell when to barter and when to pay the marked/asked price? Please don't go to Mexico to go WAlmart. That's just embarrassing and th eprices ther are no different than here. There's just more booze for sale.
- What types of products? My wife loves authentic Mexican vanilla and I'm sure will look at cloths. I'll likely try to find a bottle of tequila. I think my mother in law came back with some really nice colored glassware. Anything else I should keep an eye out for? Every store sells vanilla. It's cheap.

You will have fun in Playa and on the gulf coast in general but it's not authentic Mexico really. It is touorist Mexico. It was carved out of the jungle for us. Take the ferry to Cozumel. You catch it in Playa. They are big catamaran type boats and Cozumel is a great place to explore. Beware of restaurants selling beer 2 for 1. That only applies if you eat. Buy ice cold beer at many of the little confectionart type stores. Usually it's a buck or less. Yes, you can wander around with it. Don't stare at the heavily armed soldiers you will see nor ask them if you can take their picture. Ther'e usually a beach soccer game going on on the beach which is a block off fifth. Fun to watch.

Most important? Enjoy yourself and don't sweat the small stuff.

Sorry for all the spelling issues. I'm tired.

Thank-you!
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Well said Dreamer!!!

However, as a people watcher I respectfully disagree on one of your points!

I think going to (notice I did not say "shopping") a Walmart no matter what part of the World is a GREAT

way to see how the locals shop!

You should see some of the characters I have enjoyed watching at Walmarts in Oklahoma City, Detroit, Baltimore and

Atlanta...just to name a few...lol
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Thanks all.

By "Semi-Authentic" I mean a mexican feel with mexican products, but vendors who can speak a little english and accept payment in USD if required.

The walmart was just an example. Doubt we'll go there unless we're just looking for essentials like sunscreen or a pair of sandals or something.

I'd still like a little more clarity on when to haggle and when not to. Apparently even the Taxi drivers expect you to haggle with them on a rate so I'm expecting to do a fair amount of haggling.

Some of what I've heard elsewhere:
- Price isn't marked - yes haggle.
- Glass storefront - no haggle
- Curbside vendor, open air vendor, beach vendor - yes haggle.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

TylerM4 wrote:
Bsuds wrote:T-shirts, lots of T-shirts! :biggrin:

I've been looking for a new "1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, Floor" shirt. The one I've got still looks decent to me but the wife says it's embarrassing when I wear it in public. Must be time for a new one! :up:

Believe me, when the wife starts to say something it's time, baby, time.

I know one wife who'd take photos of her hubbys raggy t-shirts and then sink the t-shirt into some garbage can. If he wanted to see, he could look it up in a photo folder.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

TylerM4 wrote:Thanks all.

By "Semi-Authentic" I mean a mexican feel with mexican products, but vendors who can speak a little english and accept payment in USD if required. You're never required to pay in USD so don't. It costs you more. Pay in pesos which you can have your bank bring in for you at a good rate.

The walmart was just an example. Doubt we'll go there unless we're just looking for essentials like sunscreen or a pair of sandals or something. Cancun is a long way to go for sunscreen. Respect your beach time and pay the extra buck or two and buy it in Playa or even the resort.

I'd still like a little more clarity on when to haggle and when not to. Apparently even the Taxi drivers expect you to haggle with them on a rate so I'm expecting to do a fair amount of haggling. If you are leaving from your resort, the rates are posted so no haggling allowed. The same rate applies on the way back but you would be advised to tell them what that rate is before you get in the cab on the way back. That way, no surprises.

Some of what I've heard elsewhere:
- Price isn't marked - yes haggle.
- Glass storefront - no haggle
- Curbside vendor, open air vendor, beach vendor - yes haggle.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Then Barney, you need to be taking discreet photos and posting them here so we can all enjoy the people of Walmart.
fishnhunt

Post by fishnhunt »

Here's a couple things that I don't think were mentioned. Bring a soft cooler bag like the ones you get for free at the beer store. I always have beer on ice everywhere I go and usually leave it there. I would suggest going to akumal, there's a smaller ocean lagoon there called Yal-kul, not as good as Xel-ha but way cheaper. You can also go to the public beach at akumal and swim with turtles for free, just remember at the entrance to the beach to keep walking, be polite, and telll them you will come back for life jackets. There is also a killer cenote at Akumal. I could go on and on about that whole area but that would take to long and I'm not the fastest on the keyboard.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

US $ can be used pretty much everywhere and sometimes that's the only price shown (targeting tourists).

When you book an excursion, I don't think I've ever seen a price listed or quoted in pesos from the get go, unless you specifically ask
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

The times that I was there, I never seen a Mexican "shopping". They shop where tourists don't see. Mexicans don't buy the trinkets that the tourists do.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Many of the souvenirs you'll see are not "Mexican". I did a cruise years ago and it was funny to see the same souvenirs at every port, just stamped or marked with the different country names. The ONLY things we'll buy are paintings or statues if we see the artist actually making the piece. Everything else is just crap and is probably made in China.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”