Best place to buy groceries?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Best place to buy groceries?

Post by Glacier »

whitecandle wrote:^^^Not hard to throw flyers in your reusable bags and head to 1 or 2 stores but if you'd rather waste your tme and gas driving to 4 or 5, have at it.

It's not a waste of time. I have to go to Save-on because they sell stuff stupid store doesn't sell. Same goes for the farmer's market. Plus, some days you just need bread, milk, and condoms, so you just go to the closest store.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So that was you in front of me with the price check in condoms! Nice to have met you. Get the warming kind next time, bet she'll love them.

I like Save-On-Foods in the Mission, Urbane Fare for their lunch foods, and Independent. I'm addicted to Costco and we do have the space for storage, so it's nice to not have to buy so little, I like very little in the way of prepackaged stuff these days so what we used to buy and what we buy now are two different things. Juices are the best, we switch it up.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Queen K wrote:So that was you in front of me with the price check in condoms! Nice to have met you. Get the warming kind next time, bet she'll love them.

I like Save-On-Foods in the Mission, Urbane Fare for their lunch foods, and Independent. I'm addicted to Costco and we do have the space for storage, so it's nice to not have to buy so little, I like very little in the way of prepackaged stuff these days so what we used to buy and what we buy now are two different things. Juices are the best, we switch it up.

You were not politically correct in you statement..........."get the warming kind next time, bet she'll love them". It should have read "she'll OR he'll love them". This would be more inclusive in todays society.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

How do you know if Glacier is a he/she or ze?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

fvkasm2x wrote:
whatwhat wrote:My issue with Costco is you have to be able to afford the price up front (my boyfriend and I get 5 things from costco regularly and every time it costs us about $150). Which in the long run is cheaper, but we have to plan to have that $150 ready to go.

Put it on a credit card? They used to take Amex, but now it's Mastercard

Well normally we do budget for it, as we only get certain things we really need, and use often from there (TP, coffee, toothpaste, frozen chicken and advil) obviously only the essentials. And if we are having a truly skippy week, we just buy the non bulk item at Save On instead. But normally we are pretty good with our money, I try and only use credit for emergencies.
hail Satan y'all
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You get cash back from MC Costco card. Just got a cheque fro $50 for last year. We use CC for lots of purchases and make sure we pay it in full every month or if you want to be really careful pay it online when you get home. That is in addition to the rebate from Costco membership too. That is separate.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

I got a Costco coupon for $72.11 and a Capital One rebate for $99.22. Just in time to renew my membership for $100.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

whatwhat wrote:And the storage issue lol. We live in a little 1 bed room carriage house, there isn't enough storage to be able to bring home such big quantities.

Storage? What storage? Our weekly run to Costco costs us $100-$150 and it all fits into our little fridge and it's gone within 5 days :(
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Costco, Quality Greens for fruit and veggies that I don't buy at Costco and Click and Collect at Superstore for canned goods and misc. items. I love being able to shop online and then just pick it up on my way home. It's worth the 3 bucks to not have to go in the store. My garden helps out too, as well as hunting and fishing. We'll be stepping those up this year.

I have the black card at Costco, most of the cashiers know me by name now. They are really the best bang for your grocery buck for most things. And they are always good quality.
Last edited by JLives on Jan 28th, 2017, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Even Steven wrote:Storage? What storage? Our weekly run to Costco costs us $100-$150 and it all fits into our little fridge and it's gone within 5 days :(

5 days?!! It is only the two of us, and trying to store and eat Costco sized quantities into our apartment sized fridge and freezer just doesn't work for us at all. But luckily we only have to go every 1-2 months or so to restock on the essentials.
hail Satan y'all
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote:Storage? What storage? Our weekly run to Costco costs us $100-$150 and it all fits into our little fridge and it's gone within 5 days :(

What are you buying that you eat that fast? Certainly not for example a package of Chicken thighs or 2.5k of Hamburger!

There are only 2 of us but we buy there and a freezer and vacuum sealer are the only way we can do that. Separate and freeze in smaller portions. I sure don't want to eat the same thing for 5 days in a row. lol
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I buy all my meats in bulk packages, last time was Wal Mart because someone gifted my a
$150.00 card.
99% went just to meats, then reduced to portions and frozen.

Other than that I shop at stores I know are Family owned and operated.

If I happen to be in Vernon though, I will stop and re-supply there.
Even Safeway prices there are much lower than anywhere in Kelowna.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

I buy beef and pork tenderloins from Costco, and the butcher them up myself. (I like my steaks 2" thick). Chicken breasts, sometimes. Paper products, coffee, and Campari tomatoes are great, cheddar cheese, and bacon. Canned goods that will not go bad in my lifetime, ketchup, tomato sauce and EVOO are also good buys.
Some of the everyday stuff in smaller pkgs. are of equal price at WM. I would never buy meat or veggies at WM.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Bsuds wrote:What are you buying that you eat that fast?

LOL, beats me. But every week it's $100-$150 gone at Costco :(

Two packs of fish - that's $40-50 right away. One pack of chicken. Some cheese, some milk, some eggs. Broccoli, avocado, figs, cucumbers. Throw in some incidentals like paper towels, protein, or TP, or shower gel, or coffee, or detergent, etc - and there you have it.

Fish for dinner lasts 2-3 days. Chicken gets used for lunches, so 4-5 days. Eggs and the rest for breakfast. Rest of it just blends in.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

We spend about $200/week on groceries. That's pretty normal for people with kids a home.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”