Do restaurants make food from scratch any more?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Do restaurants make food from scratch any more?

Post by Fancy »

Yuck...never went there.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The only Burger Baron I have ever went to is now a Sleep Country on Harvey. So that indicates how long ago that was.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Thinktank wrote:If all restaurants were divided into one star, two star and three stars,
I want to know how much food in the two star and three star category restaurants are made "from scratch?"

For example, are the pancakes for breakfast made with flour, eggs, butter, milk etc? Or do they come in a huge
package with twenty five chemical additives and preservatives, and the restaurant just warms it up?

anyone know how restaurants do stuff?
I would think the top best expensive restaurants make meals from scratch, but even that I don't really know.
Does stuff like chili con carne come in big pre-made five gallon pails? Or is it made from scratch?

GREAT thread, Think Tank.

From my experience and somewhat 'insider' information most of the chain restaurants do not make their stuff from 'scratch'.

Most of the owner/operator restaurants in the Okanagan do make most of their menu items from 'scratch'.

Some do source out items like baked goods and pastries/desserts from other local producers.

Today, it's an Okanagan Chef's pride to serve locally sourced products whenever they can.

Even the once thought of 'greasy spoon' food trucks have blown things into the next century and take a great

deal of pride with the quality of the food they 'deliver'.

The Okanagan is a Food and Wine Mecca...we are very lucky to live here and able to enjoy what others get via

frozen, canned and dried!!!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Most of the Chinese restaurants do cook from scratch.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Queen K wrote:Working at the Stetson in 1981 was my first job, paid $3.50/hour and the owner very carefully let those of us earning $3.50 an hour that we were getting 0.25 cents more than was legally required to keep us kitchen prep staff/dishwasher/bottlewashers employed. I think all teens should work in a restaurant for at least one month, min. to keep them humble when being a patron to any restaurant. And Yes, I was in grade 11. Good times.

Well, I'll be darned, Queen it's most heartwarming to know you put in time in 'servitude' at this ol' historic landmark!

I too agree that it would serve all teens, and mankind in general, if all young people had to put 30 days

(I would recommend 6 months - :up:) working in a restaurant.

Then the same amount of time working on a farm!

My years serving food, working the line and the 'dish pit' has served me well as it did my off-spring and other youth I have

known along the road of life. My poor parents could never figure out where I obtained my 'fowl' mouth and twisted

wicked sense of humour from...look no further than the barn and the professional kitchen dear Mother and Father!

One place I'd like to mention is the old Capri Vintage Room. At one time, this was Kelowna's culinary pinnacle and

benchmark for local fine dining. It's still a lovely place to have a good meal, served in time honoured elegance and

warm invited atmosphere. Many of Kelowna's current top Chef's cut their first culinary teeth in the kitchen

at the Capri Hotel under the guidance and watchful eye of the Executive Chefs who commanded the kitchen there and

are now considered mentors to many in the Okanagan culinary World.

A number of fine local establishments have been named here and I'd like to add Water Front and Micro (two doors

down from Raudz). Both Executive Chefs at the helm at these two establishments are, in my opinion, simply

Food Geniuses when it comes to sourcing local and creating unforgettable and UNPRETENTIOUS culinary experiences.

Simple food, prepared with care and thought and presented in a casual relaxing atmosphere.

It simply amazes me how lucky we are to have such wonderful and varied food experiences right here in the Okanagan.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

A cook from Earl's told me recently that they usually make everything from scratch except two things: mashed potatoes (the potatoes are already 'milled', Apparently nobody hand peels potatoes anymore) and one more thing that I forget - perhaps a soup broth). They *do* have backups of pre-made basics in case they run out, but the rule is from scratch by and large, which is why I don't eat at Earl's (can't afford genuine food out)
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Now THAT surprises me seein as how Earls is a chain.

Most chains don't do scratch.

As I've said before most of our local chef driven establishments pride themselves in fresh, scratch and LOCAL.
- Unknown
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Barney Google wrote:Now THAT surprises me seein as how Earls is a chain.

Most chains don't do scratch.

As I've said before most of our local chef driven establishments pride themselves in fresh, scratch and LOCAL.

I remember in late 80s how previous owners had the Kelowna location so popular. Lineup was down the stairs along hallway & down sidewalk.
The name was Hollywood on Top
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was in that line up a few times. Best food and views. :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Good down home eats are hard to come by today, but there is one that if I get desire cheap good breakfast. I go to, its not much look at food good & it does break the bank.... plus its not downtown.

some of long timers will have idea, who I'm talking about.

Added later: QK I to was in those lineups many times

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”