Your legal rights at the US/Canada border

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Your legal rights at the US/Canada border

Post by Queen K »

So I'm in facebook and I see an American friend of mine is leaving Iceland to return back to the United States. This is what she just posted 7 minutes ago from Iceland (it's now 9:34 PST)

"I've heard many of these stories but first time witnessing it. If you look like you might possibly be Muslim be prepared to have a very hard time traveling to the U. S. Never thought I'd ever see anything like this in my life. Holding back tears. This is so not right. The pilot has apologized profusely for our delay because of it - those who were 'randomly' searched by US agents were the only ones who had a possible Muslim 'look.'"

All I did was copy/paste, okay?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I guess the subtext to "rights at the US border" is,,, "BUT you don't have the right to look un-American" (whatever that is).

Sad

Americans like to talk "land of the free" and "right to [this, that, the other]", but where the rubber meets the road.......

I've never had a lot of confidence in the group mentality of the US citizen. Hell I guess I don't have a lot of faith in the group mentality of the Canadian citizen either.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

She also claimed the pilot said, "we are now taking off for Washington DC, if it's still there..."

I just have to sit here and hope no one reports him and he watches his mouth from now on.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://pen.org/interrogation-us-border/

Here is a good article about what is happening to people at the border, people who have visas and documents and back up from organizations they are affiliated with.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Watch out!

If you are a permanent Canadian citizen, but from Yemen or any other barred country then you still may not have cross border rights.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/som ... li=AAggNb9
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

This happened on Saturday 4 March 2017 at the Coutts Alberta crossing. Alberta resident had received a pardon (record suspension) 33 years ago and has crossed the border a few times since, BUT has never applied for a waiver from the US.

Now it caught up with him. Finger prints, photo.

He can apply for a waiver, only costs $750 CDN and hey !!! the first waiver is good for a whole year ! May take a year to get and you go through the same procedure the second time (I read that to mean, you also pay the same again). Yikes.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3291746/calga ... -crossing/
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”