The Oscars and fake news

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

The Oscars and fake news

Post by Urbane »

My wife and I watched the Oscars earlier this evening and we saw the botched ending when the wrong best picture winner was announced. What I find astounding is that at least seven or eight news sites (No, I'm not exaggerating) have stated that Warren Beatty announced the wrong winner. Except that he didn't. He was given the wrong card, the one for best actress which had the name Emma Stone and La La land on it, and when it came time to announce the winner for Best Picture he looked a bit confused and showed the card to Faye Dunaway. She announced La La Land as the winner. Not Warren Beatty.

How could so many different news sites get it wrong? I suppose either Beatty or Dunaway should have noticed the error but in fairness to them they were looking at the card and seeing La La Land and she (Faye Dunaway) read it out. Anyway, Warren Beatty is taking a beating on social media and the erroneous news reports are feeding into that. I have to say that Donald Trump's talk about fake news has some truth to it. A big fail for whoever gave Warren Beatty the wrong card and a big fail to those reporters who got it wrong as well.
GenesisGT
Guru

Re: The Oscars and fake news

Post by GenesisGT »

Last edited by ferri on Feb 27th, 2017, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is a perfect spot for it, since it is the Subject of his thread.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I was just now watching CBC News and the reporter was talking about this story. Right there on the screen it popped up: "Warren Beatty announces wrong winner." LOL . . . once an incorrect story gets out there it's hard for some to get it right. Meanwhile, Jan Chapman, an Australian film producer, wants everyone to know that she's alive and well. Her picture was mistakenly included in the "In Memoriam" section of the show:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movi ... /98473306/
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Price Waterhouse Coopers admits they screwedup
http://www.straight.com/movies/874046/p ... lub-oscars
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I take issue with all the sheep that have now followed Trumps new use/definition of the word "fake".

My definition of "fake" is a statement claiming to be fact that the person/entity making it, knows is incorrect.

If a MISTAKE is made, that is not, IMO, fake.

Urban opened this topic with the statement : "at least seven or eight news sites stated that Warren Beatty announced the wrong winner. Except that he didn't. He was given the wrong card"

Urban doesn't say it, but we are lead to believe that what Urban was saying is that : "although Warren Beatty announced the wrong winner, he had been given the wrong card".

But that is WRONG too. In actual fact Faye Dunaway announced the wrong winner, after she was handed the card by Warren Beatty.

and,,, YES she DID announce the wrong winner.

So, did Urban make a FAKE statement ? No he made an error.

If the news media stated "Faye Dunaway announces wrong winner", that is COMPLETELY TRUE.

That is a FACT and it is TRUE. The REASON she announced the wrong winner, is that the wrong winner was contained on a card she was handed by Beatty. In fact, it was apparently a double of the Best Actress card that states Emma Stone staring in La La Land won. But Beatty and Dunaway are looking at the card for a movie name. So doing the best, she announced what's on the card. In actual fact I'm sure the winning card for Best Picture wouldn't start with the female lead and then the name of the movie.

To properly inform the public, perhaps, it would have been better and kinder to Beatty and Dunaway to state : "Faye Dunaway unfortunately announced the incorrect winner of Best Picture at the Academy Awards when she and Warren Beatty were supplied with an incorrect card".

FAKE NEWS is very serious. It entails INTENT to mislead. At worst, we see misleading statements that slant the news, we do see LOTS and LOTS of errors, just watch CHBC for one news cast.

We do see a lot of "grey area" in headlines that are intended to intrigue and mislead to the extent that one will read the article.

My favorite complaint came from former BC Premier William Vander Zalm when he was premier and felt he was being unfairly set upon by the media. He said, if he took his dog down to the lake and it walked across the lake on top of the water, headlines would read "Vander Zalm's Dog Can't Swim".

Fake News ? From the major news providers no, there is little if any, incorrect, slanted, incomplete, yes.

If you want to include the garbage sites or the checkout tabloids, yes aliens have landed and are doing recal examinations of unsuspecting citizens.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

my5cents wrote:Urban doesn't say it, but we are lead to believe that what Urban was saying is that : "although Warren Beatty announced the wrong winner, he had been given the wrong card".

But that is WRONG too. In actual fact Faye Dunaway announced the wrong winner, after she was handed the card by Warren Beatty.

and,,, YES she DID announce the wrong winner.

So, did Urban make a FAKE statement ? No he made an error.

Why do you say that I, Urbane, led you to believe that Warren Beatty made the announcement when the whole premise of my post was that he didn't but that various news organization said that he did. I said:

She announced La La Land as the winner.

Re-read what I actually said. Thanks.

As to your fake news comments I think they're fair enough. I was just pointing out how an incorrect story can gather steam, take on a life of its own, and be difficult to set right. Certainly the snafu at the Oscars can't be compared to some of the life and death issues that are out there. So on that I get your point. Good to see also that this morning news organizations seem to have the Oscar story right.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

my5cents wrote:but we are lead to believe that what Urban was saying is that

No, what Urbane (with an e) said was exactly what he meant. There was no leading nor do I understand how his post could have been misinterpreted.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Urbane wrote:Re-read what I actually said. Thanks.

I did and stand corrected. I appoligize.

As to your fake news comments I think they're fair enough. I was just pointing out how an incorrect story can gather steam, take on a life of its own, and be difficult to set right..........

Yes, sorta like when people use the term "fake news", that was developed by the Trump team.

Advertising people use catch phrases all the time....

"What's in your wallet ?", "Were're the beef ?"

It goes down to as simple as using or not using full names or titles. How many times did/do we hear on media, either by media people or subjects of their interviews "President Obama" or "Barack Obama" verses just "Obama"

I'm sure it was drilled into Trump to rarely if ever call Hillary Clinton, "Hillary" or "Mrs Clinton" or "Senator Clinton", it was always "lying Hillary".

When's the last time you heard of the PPACA, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, short form, the ACA, Affordable Care Act. No, we rarely hear that we hear "Obama Care".

Apponents don't want to associate "affordable" to the program.

How many following provincial politics associate over spending and debt with the NDP ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Another mistake was 1 of the people in the memoriam, is not dead but is very much alive..... Oops

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/arts ... .html?_r=0
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:

That should be "Where's the Beef".
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Bsuds wrote:
my5cents wrote:

That should be "Where's the Beef".

Another one is "That's what she said"
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've been told that typos occur frequently because of typing on a smaller keyboard (i.e. cellphones) so I shall be more forgiving in future.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:That should be "Where's the Beef".

Yes, yes, damn it. It's just,,, just not my day.

Your correct ! (yes, I no its' rong)

Thanks Bsuds :up:

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”