Indian Restaurant on Leon or Lawrence?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Indian Restaurant on Leon or Lawrence?

Post by gardengirl »

Barney Google wrote:I remember the place well and think it was called Shalimar.

If the old grey matter remembers correctly it was Kelowna's first upscale Indian Resturant and they sure

did their cuisine justice.

The food and service was incredible and the ambiance was perfect.

I can recall people in Kelowna at that time being reluctant to try it in fears of "the food being too hot" and "not liking curry".

I was quite disappointed when it closed.

Thankfully Kelowna's palate and desire to explore new culinary experiences has grown since then.

Yes! It was really good and I remember it being quite "posh" by Kelowna's standards. Thanks to all for coming up with the name. I knew I was close, but just couldn't get those old grey cells to put it together.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Mbal02

Post by Mbal02 »

Hi Everyone,

My family came across this post by chance. My parents were the owners and operators of Shalimar on Leon Ave many years ago. We appreciate the kind words about the food and services they provided. My parents had to make the hard decision to sell the restaurant because they wanted to spend more time raising me and my 3 siblings. Since leaving Shalimar my parents have been very busy raising their children and participating in Agriculture in the valley. In addition to this, we have as a family opened Hillcrest Farm Market and Cafe on Highway 33. My mother is the head chef and offers the same foods that were provided at Shalimar. The Butter Chicken is amazing. Please come by and we'd love to chat about "the old days". Thanks again!!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Mbal02 wrote:Hi Everyone,

My family came across this post by chance. My parents were the owners and operators of Shalimar on Leon Ave many years ago. We appreciate the kind words about the food and services they provided. My parents had to make the hard decision to sell the restaurant because they wanted to spend more time raising me and my 3 siblings. Since leaving Shalimar my parents have been very busy raising their children and participating in Agriculture in the valley. In addition to this, we have as a family opened Hillcrest Farm Market and Cafe on Highway 33. My mother is the head chef and offers the same foods that were provided at Shalimar. The Butter Chicken is amazing. Please come by and we'd love to chat about "the old days". Thanks again!!

Wow...that's wonderful news

Thanks for sharing!!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
James59

Post by James59 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 9th, 2017, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: potentially libelous.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Mbal02 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thank you for sharing this. A friend and I were talking about the restaurant a few days ago, reminiscing about how great it was. We will have to check out your new business.

http://hillcrestfarmmarket.com/
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 10th, 2017, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: negative business review
Sure do love Rutland!!
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

gardengirl wrote:Does anyone remember the name of the Indian restaurant that used to be downtown? It was on Leon or Lawrence. This was back in the 80s-90s. It had an outdoor patio and a tandoori oven. It became pasta place for a while, then briefly Senor Frogs.

I remember the Tandoori Restaurant at the Leon/Lawrence area. It was owned by the same people, the Bal's, who own the market and cafe that are at the corner of Springfield and Hwy 33.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”