How much $$ should people spend on a camera?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

How much $$ should people spend on a camera?

Post by Thinktank »

Recently, i realized I don't know anything about digital cameras. So I started looking around
and found out if you are a rich person and can spend over $1500, you can get some good stuff.

But those cameras under $300, they look cheap.

How much should a person spend on a digital camera?

$2250 with tax. ^ :200:
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Re: How much $$ should people spend on a camera?

Post by OldIslander »

You can spend a lot more than that, Tank... The top end Canons are in the $2, $3, and $4 thousands of dollars, depending on what kind of bells & whistles, and quality you want/need. The top end canon can approach $10K, again depending on what you want/need. And that's only half the battle -- a collection of high quality L-glass lens to go with that body, can cost more than the body. So you need to decide what you want the pics for, and what kind of quality image you need.

I have a DSLR about 2/3 from the top of the line in price, and several high quality lens -- the whole kit is worth approximately $5K to $6K. (The lens tend to hold their value more than he body.) But I find myself taking more and more pics with my smart phone these days. How they get such good quality images from a device with a lens about 1/8" in diameter, I'll never know. So I just use the high-end camera gear now, for projects where I need top quality files.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Firstly, what do you want...........DSLR (full size), Point and Shoot, Mirrorless? I have my several Nikon DSLR cameras with "good glass" but I also carry a small point and shoot. Lets make this fairly quick.........your price point appears to be above $300 but under $1000. Rule out DSLR because of numerous reasons, mainly because the "extras" will push the price high. Plus "cheap" DSLR's are a dime a dozen for a reason. Point and shoots have come a long way over the years and I have had several........Canon $160, Canon $200, Fuji $400. The Fuji was on clearance and very small........really liked it. After having several cameras removed from my procession I was on the hunt for another point and shoot about a year ago. There is SO MUCH out there but if you set a price point around $700-$800 you will get an amazing camera. I replaced my Fuji with a Canon G7X (WOW, love it)........now discontinued for the Canon G7X MK II. The main thing you want is a large "sensor"........1 inch which gives better pictures in low light. They all have video, Wi-Fi and countless shooting modes.

Read reviews, the pros and cons of the cameras that interest you (this will usually confuse the issue). Decide the more important features you would like to have. I know a smaller camera size was important to me so that it could easily fit into pockets. One more thing, when at a camera shop (or online), find out what cameras are being discontinued (every brand are always replacing models after a couple of years).........this is where you can scoop up a better camera for $100- $150 off.

I know camera phones have come a long way but if photography is truly an interest, the above mentioned point and shoot kills any camera phone.

I am sure more people will follow with their comments so read and learn
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

If you really want to be shooting, you'll use whatever you can get your hands on.

If you aren't keen at using/learning the relationships between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, then a P&S is definitely for you.

Still interested in a DSLR? My recommendation: find a Nikon D7100 (not in production any longer but a kickass camera), or a D7200 (avoid the new D7500), and you can get economical beautiful screw-driven autofocus lenses used on Ebay or the classifieds dating back a long way.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

I meant to mention in my post above, the world's most popular 'go to site' for camera reviews, is Digital Photography Reviews here: https://www.dpreview.com/ Good luck....!
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

snapsort.com a good tool, as is it's lens version: lenshero.com.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Recently, i realized I don't know anything about digital cameras. So I started looking around
and found out if you are a rich person and can spend over $1500, you can get some good stuff.

But those cameras under $300, they look cheap.

How much should a person spend on a digital camera?

$2250 with tax. ^ :200:

What happened to your Olympus? Talking about cameras on these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=57050
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54302
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

lesliepaul wrote:Firstly, what do you want...........DSLR (full size), Point and Shoot, Mirrorless?

I want mirrorless or DSLR. but I'm not a millionaire. not professional photographer.

So the way I see it, about $500 for a camera should be enough to take some good pictures.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Do you have any lenses from film days?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:
lesliepaul wrote:Firstly, what do you want...........DSLR (full size), Point and Shoot, Mirrorless?

I want mirrorless or DSLR. but I'm not a millionaire. not professional photographer.

So the way I see it, about $500 for a camera should be enough to take some good pictures.
What was your Olympus?
I'm guessing it wasn't this one:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... ku=1283565
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

kgcayenne wrote:Do you have any lenses from film days?

Lots of Canon AE1 lenses. They wouldn't work on anything, I don't think.

^ That, from 2010 is just not good enough. the only good thing about it - no one will steal it.
even if you paid them.

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I noticed that the mirrorless systems are more costly than I expected.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thinktank wrote:

If you want a DSLR - start out with an entry level Canon or Nikon - under $500 with a decent kit lens. After that, if you are truly serious about perfecting your photography and are genuine about getting outstanding images, you'll understand you'll need to spend a bit more on some good lenses.

Listen to kgcayenne - she knows what she's talking about.

If you truly enjoy something, you won't mind spending a bit of money on it - you'll always find a way.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Just a couple of snap shots from my Nikon D3300 and 35mm F1.8 lens which cost me $450 together ...

Nothing fancy, just goes to show you you can get great quality (image not necessarily composition style lol) for not much money and let the passion grow from there.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”