Your favourite local fermented foods?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Hermes
Fledgling

Your favourite local fermented foods?

Post by Hermes »

For the non-drinkers among us (as of course beer is fermented)...

Who makes the valley's best sauerkraut, kefir, tempeh, kimchi, natto etc? I speak of artisanal probiotics of any and all world cuisines. German, Japanese, Indonesian - I don't care as long as bacteria makes it explode. OK Valley being an agricultural and tourist center I presume there are many small scale processors of local produce. But maybe not - it is time (if not labour) intensive and BC wages are high. Maybe no one will pay for something that takes three months to make.

I know that I made in BC herbal tinctures of astounding quality that you can't buy in any health food store and there just was no market for them. Or it might be because I am a poor businessman. Or because the 'manufacture' and labeling regulations were so daunting I just gave up at the commercial prospects. It's much easier to sell one's craft in Cambodia. I bought kombucha from a guy in Phnom Penh that he made in his kitchen. No license. No labels in Chinese and Vietnamese. And no two stainless steel sinks and a thermometer. Which might explain why I ended up in hospital after mixing his brew with a lot of fruit.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Your favourite local fermented foods?

Post by Piecemaker »

There's a seller of things fermented at the Farmer's Market most Saturdays and Wednesdays.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”