Tom Petty, 66, Rushed to Hospital

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Tom Petty, 66, Rushed to Hospital

Post by jimmy4321 »

I've always been a fan, great song writer.
He's had a history with addiction, hopefully this doesn't end up as part of the story.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Tom Petty, a songwriter who melded California rock with a deep, stubborn Southern heritage, died on Monday after suffering cardiac arrest. He was 66 and had lived in Los Angeles.

Tony Dimitriades, Mr. Petty’s longtime manager, confirmed the death.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/arts ... -dead.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

R.I.P. Tom your music shall live on.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Thank-you Tom for your music & your live concerts, my condolences to your Family and Friends.
Rest in peace as you join the other members of Traveling Wilburys who have gone before you.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

jimmy4321 wrote:I've always been a fan, great song writer.
He's had a history with addiction, hopefully this doesn't end up as part of the story.

I hope so too. I don't believe TP was ever a big druggie, but alcohol was an issue during a couple of periods in his life. He was a smoker too, and those are substantial risk factors.

He did an interview just a few days before he died, saying that the days of heavy touring were probably over, but the Heartbreakers would continue playing and recording. He said they'd only stop "if someone gets sick or dies". Horrible foreshadowing.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

JayByrd wrote:I hope so too. I don't believe TP was ever a big druggie, but alcohol was an issue during a couple of periods in his life. He was a smoker too, and those are substantial risk factors.

He did an interview just a few days before he died, saying that the days of heavy touring were probably over, but the Heartbreakers would continue playing and recording. He said they'd only stop "if someone gets sick or dies". Horrible foreshadowing.

He became a heroin addict in the 1990s, which is quite late late in life to dabble in such things. He hit a low point then, but bounced back and recovered since. Drugs are a major temptation for travel weary musicians, especially when you've had personal pain in your life. I can't judge a musician's choices through the lens of someone who's never had those temptations.

A great musician who will be missed. Loved his voice.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Sittin' here at work listening to Tom Petty tunes (trying to finish off jobs cuz I'm taking tomorrow off) ...

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Very nice tribute song to Tom Petty by Dolly Parton... https://youtu.be/e2qvHyFVm20?si=RXdN4QWyWdsc1hhD
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”