Eminem tears into Trump

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Eminem tears into Trump

Post by Poindexter »

Bsuds wrote:Entertainers should entertain and if they want to vent their political thoughts that's OK but they should not spout off during a performance. That's not what the fans paid for.

People are given a stage and they're using it to voice their opinions, it's their right just like it's your right not to attend it again if it bothers you. If it isn't Eminem, it's the NFL where if your turned off by the kneeling then do something more productive with your Sundays, like come on castanet rant like I'm doing? :D
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

While it's not cool to be preached to at a concert, it's their career to burn if they like.
Live performances is their bread and butter.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I do see both sides of the arguement however. Looking forward to the Roger Water's concert at the end of the month and it's extremely anti-Trump. My wife is an even a bigger fan of Waters' new stuff than me but shares Bsuds opinion and wont be happy if it becomes too political. Not because she doesn't share his opinion on Trump, just that she's there to have fun, not to be preached to. I on the other hand see no issue with art and politics colliding, been done for generations and see noreason to stop now simply because such a divisive character is their current muse.

Edit: was missing the "no" I intended to put in.
Last edited by Poindexter on Oct 15th, 2017, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Art has always been an expression of culture, and has been used as social commentary for generations. Some of the best music from the 60s and 70s was very political. Professional athletes and performers use their positions to express their opinions, because they believe in what they are saying, and (at least for now) are able to exercise their right to express it. We all have that same right (at least for now). We also have the freedom to choose whether we listen to and consider the opinions of others, but our own opinions are not validated by simply dismissing or ignoring the opinion of others
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bsuds wrote:Entertainers should entertain and if they want to vent their political thoughts that's OK but they should not spout off during a performance. That's not what the fans paid for.

They're creative artists and performers, not our personal dancing monkeys. If you want to hear the hits play the radio or put on an album. I have been to at least 100 concerts and I'm there to see their vision and experience it with the people around me. I have no expectations going in. Sometimes it feels right to be political and we are deep in those times right now.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”