The Oregon Coast and only the Oregon Coast.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

The Oregon Coast and only the Oregon Coast.

Post by Queen K »

Just got back from the Oregon coast drive, yes, Highway 101 spans WA and CA, and we did spend one day in WA and crossed over the bridge over to Astoria, OR, but this thread is to discuss what you found to be the best, worst and ugly of the Oregon Coast.

This was my second time there, but the first time was guided by a friend who only wanted to spend four days there, and only hitting highlights.

On this specific trip we hit new areas, beaches and were able to take in waysides and small town shopping.

If you've never spent time on the Oregon coast, let me assure you, it's a tourist paradise and no amount of time will feel like enough.

There's just too much.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: The Oregon Coast and only the Oregon Coast.

Post by Bsuds »

We have RV'd through there twice now. One of our favorite spots is Cannon Beach. We would go back in a second.
Love the Oregon Coast.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There are thousands of RV sites, but the next best one I'd recommend to you is next to the next best coastline scene we've taken in twice. It's at Coos Bay, right near Sunset Bay State Park. Sunset Bay is not the attaction, but rather, Shore Acres State Park. It cost $5 to park there all day, but it's worth if for the gardens and the incredible shoreline, unlike all the other shores they have going. The formations are incredible.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We have been to Coos Bay as well. As far as the State parks any of the ones we looked an either didn't have the amenities we need/want or were too small for us to fit into.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And that's the hassel of having a large RV without towing a small car.

To those who don't know: many wayside pull outs on the Oregon coast are not what one could call, large RV friendly. Some are and have specific parking for them.

With our SUV, we were lucky to be able to take in the narrow side roads for the views.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We went from Fort Stevens down to Brookings and beyond to Trees of Mystery, a tourist trap if there ever was one.

Unfortunately the Red Wood State Park in CA was being worked on severely, detracting from that mystical huge tree feeling people say they have when stopping in there. There wasn't much to stop at when the crews were there, so we are looking forward to one day returning.

We stayed at the Best Western in Brookings, having gotten in late at night, in the total dark, it was hard to see that the BW sits right on a seashore. So we were able to go right down to the ocean before dawn and walk the beach. Heading South, we were able to reach a mini-arch, something so very cool to see all up and down the coast. Nothing like a pre-breakfast ocean walk.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

One of my favorite trips was the Oregon Coast :)
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Tell me which was the best part. Town? State park?
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Bsuds wrote:We have RV'd through there twice now. One of our favorite spots is Cannon Beach. We would go back in a second.
Love the Oregon Coast.

Us too! The Oregon Coast is one of my favorites. I have stayed in cannon Beach multiple times.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
holdin

Post by holdin »

Yes really love the Oregon coast--have driven it many times--have a suggestion, and that is to go north to south(oceanside lane), if possible, as you can see the ocean a lot better and there are pull-outs that are more accessible. And hey, no tax in Oregon!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good suggestion Holdin.

That was exactly the plan after April 2015 when we were obliged to do the opposite. South to North was a pain, and we were beholden to a schedule. So this time, we started in Astoria, right off the bridge and worked ourselves right down to Brookings.

I must admit, there were many times I wished we had just cut the coast in half for 8 days.

My two favourite State Parks coming South after the town of Cannon Beach, are Arcadia and Hug Point State parks. Both have their beauty and merits but Hug Point having the only accessible waterfall (when there's rain that is) into the ocean has it's special merit.
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

We also just got bk from 2 weeks in Oregon. Parked the 38' 5th wheel in Warrenton and did day trips on the bike that we haul in the garage part of the trailer. Two weeks is not enough. You can also drive on the ocean beach with your vehicle legally, just don't get to close to the water and watch the tide. Astoria is where they shot a lot of scenes from movie "The Goonies". A lot of history in that area, and locals are happy to share. Favourite place to eat; Moe's. Over looking the ocean, not fancy, and reasonably priced.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Two weeks in the North area alone? How far South did you get on your bike? By bike, do you mean cycling or motorbike?

Did you get to see the elk in the ocean at Gearhart? We never had time to make it down there in Gearhart. :130:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Did anyone else stop in at the Misty Meadows retail outlet down South along the coast?

We skidded in at 2 minutes after 5 pm and the clerk kindly let us drop over $50 on their products even though she wasn't supposed to.

Cranberry Ketchup! Ymmm on meats, I've tried it on pork and ham already.

Of course the real star is Marion Berry, which I wish I bought more of for gifts. Marion Berry was developed in Oregon but you can buy the canes here if you're fast enough to snap them up. A cross between two blackberries, it has proven delicious.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

emc group wrote:We also just got bk from 2 weeks in Oregon. Parked the 38' 5th wheel in Warrenton and did day trips on the bike that we haul in the garage part of the trailer. Two weeks is not enough. You can also drive on the ocean beach with your vehicle legally, just don't get to close to the water and watch the tide. Astoria is where they shot a lot of scenes from movie "The Goonies". A lot of history in that area, and locals are happy to share. Favourite place to eat; Moe's. Over looking the ocean, not fancy, and reasonably priced.

Astoria also is the home to a large number of Finnish settlers. http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/art/article49e.htm

There use to be this most amazing smokehouse near Garibaldi but it closed. It had the best smoked salmon and tuna. The Best. It was called Karla's smokehouse.

Tillamook cheese factory does tours. You could sample the cheeses and see the factory. YUM!
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”