Cooking 101 for the single Male.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Re: Cooking 101 for the single Male.

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 7th, 2017, 8:02 am

Lady tehMa wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:
Just got back from the store.....new cashiers today!

Have you checked out the price of Parmesan Cheese? $18.00 for a little piece! Are you freakin' kidding me? That is much as bottle of wine.

Buy your parmesan - heck any of your cheeses - at Mediterranean Market on the corner of Gordon & Lawrence. Trust me on this. :up:

The Med. Market is just a little too far away to go for just a piece of cheese. BUT, Yes I too love going there, I always buy too much stuff I don't need and always at least one new thing to try.

I did buy the Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 424 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 7th, 2017, 2:21 pm

I have one carrot in my fridge that I don't know what to do with.
I am watching cooking Youtube's right now, and I am thinking that beef stew might be a good way to use it up.
Now I have to go out and buy a bottle of red French wine. Some smaller onions, more celery, another pepper.....Thank goodness I have lots of flour and a couple of potatoes, and a case of beef broth.

alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Queen K » Nov 7th, 2017, 4:04 pm

You can also grate the carrot into a tuna or salmon, mix with parsley flakes, lemon juice, pepper and mayo and use it as a sandwich spread.

The carrot juices and fish meld nicely to make for a good flavour.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9504 posts

Postby just popping in » Nov 7th, 2017, 4:22 pm

Queen K wrote:You can also grate the carrot into a tuna or salmon, mix with parsley flakes, lemon juice, pepper and mayo and use it as a sandwich spread.

The carrot juices and fish meld nicely to make for a good flavour.

And is more reasonably priced.
just popping in
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 305 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 7th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Sandwiches? I have had a lifetime's worth of sandwiches. 1/3 of my meals for 40 years of my life have been slapped between 2 slices of bread.
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 7th, 2017, 6:09 pm

My neighbour just came by and expressed their pity for me. They brought me an Apple pie.

alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Cooking 101 for the single Male

Postby oneh2obabe » Nov 7th, 2017, 6:58 pm

If you like cheese with your apple pie, grate a handful (or however much you want), add to the pastry and bake as normal.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

oneh2obabe
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 4827 posts

Re: Cooking 101 for the single Male

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 7th, 2017, 7:21 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:If you like cheese with your apple pie, grate a handful (or however much you want), add to the pastry and bake as normal.

That is a very interesting thought, I like it. Thank you.

alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Even Steven » Nov 7th, 2017, 10:23 pm

I've signed up for the service called Chef's Plate. Once a week they deliver ingredients and recipe with instructions to you. Takes about half an hour in most cases to cook a yummy dinner. I've cooked lots by now with no prior experience and rather enjoy it. Also, cuts down on grocery spending and hassle of shopping.

If any of the recipes are good, I save them and I can always recreate them later.

Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1406 posts

Postby seewood » Nov 8th, 2017, 10:31 am

Took foods 11 boys way back in high school. For the most part it just gave me the confidence to cook and not screw up to the point it became a science project.
Ginger root....keep it in the freezer and grate while frozen. lasts forever this way.
I don't mind cooking at all. last winter took on Beef Wellington, among other interesting foods.
Good luck gentlemen and remember the way to a woman's heart is thorough her stomach without too much of a mess in the kitchen....
I am not wealthy but I am rich

seewood
Board Meister

Liked in: 374 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Nov 8th, 2017, 10:36 am

Good thing about cooking is you can change most recipes to suit your tastes or add/delete ingredients to what you have in the pantry or fridge. Baking is different - it's a formula and unless you know what you can switch up or what ingredient you can use as a substitute, follow the recipe.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

oneh2obabe
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 4827 posts

Postby Bsuds » Nov 8th, 2017, 10:39 am

seewood wrote:Good luck gentlemen and remember the way to a woman's heart is thorough her stomach without too much of a mess in the kitchen....

Unless you are married, then it's revenge to leave a mess! :biggrin:

I do the majority of the cooking and my SO will do the prep and we will share the clean up most of the time (unless I did the complete meal.)

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 8899 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 8th, 2017, 11:47 am

Today, I have just got back from the store with all the needed ingredients. I don't have any measurements, I'm going to wing it. I got 1+1/2 lbs of stew beef. That looks like a lot but I figure that a Quarter pounder is enough for lunch then I got enough for 4 suppers. I am all out of wine so I am going to substitute beer.
I have chosen my favorite veggies for when I have to eat veggies. Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, and Onions.

Step #1. Choose a pot. Then rethink your choice and choose the one that is bigger.

Step #2. Open a beer.

I'll get back a little later with my progress updates.

alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 8th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Well I got the meat cookin' and a simmerin'. It sure shrank a lot. Maybe the bigger pot is not going to be needed after all.
I'll have to watch some more Youtubes on the subject.

alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 8th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Bsuds wrote:
seewood wrote:Good luck gentlemen and remember the way to a woman's heart is thorough her stomach without too much of a mess in the kitchen....

Unless you are married, then it's revenge to leave a mess! :biggrin:

I do the majority of the cooking and my SO will do the prep and we will share the clean up most of the time (unless I did the complete meal.)

I am not trying to impress a woman. This is the 1st time in my life that a woman has not had anything to say or have influence over.
I am now of the opinion that I can do NO wrong......until a woman comes along and tells me that, "I'm doing it all wrong". It's great to know that I am doing it just right.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts