Worst service ever!

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Bubalouie
Guru

Re: Worst service ever!

Post by Bubalouie »

Several friends went there in the past week, said food is not up to par as old owner and they won't be going back
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Tried *removed*, not impressed, if I want plain white rice with a few peas thrown in, I can make that at home.
Now some friends just old us about the Bunk House on McCulloch, apparantly they now have a Chinese menu and the gentleman is supposed to be a very good cook, might have to check it out. Wanted to try Wok Inn but when we got there they were not open even though their sign says open 11:30 - 8:00.
Last edited by ferri on Mar 7th, 2018, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Business name removed.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Bubalouie wrote:Tried *removed*, not impressed, if I want plain white rice with a few peas thrown in, I can make that at home.
Now some friends just old us about the Bunk House on McCulloch, apparantly they now have a Chinese menu and the gentleman is supposed to be a very good cook, might have to check it out. Wanted to try Wok Inn but when we got there they were not open even though their sign says open 11:30 - 8:00.

WOW.........closed at 8:00 PM..........I hope he survived his day. That's the problem in Kelowna as opposed to almost EVERY OTHER city in the world. You want to have a meal after 8, its Denny's or a drive through. Will never get over how LAZY so many Kelowna restaurants are and will never get upset when they close down or go out of business.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Places might stay open later on weekends but why would they stay open late on weekdays when not enough customers are coming in? Don't you think they would if they were making a reasonable profit?

A restaurant is a tough business and Banks won't even loan them money to start up because most go out of business within 6 months to a year.

It is also almost impossible to get enough staff for all the extra hours.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

the one we weren't impressed with was on Gordon near the Husky.
The one we wanted to try was on Rutland Road, starts with a W and they were closed at 4:00 p.m. when we went to order take out. Going to try Bunk House one of these days.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Bsuds wrote:Places might stay open later on weekends but why would they stay open late on weekdays when not enough customers are coming in? Don't you think they would if they were making a reasonable profit?

A restaurant is a tough business and Banks won't even loan them money to start up because most go out of business within 6 months to a year.

It is also almost impossible to get enough staff for all the extra hours.

How do these restaurants do it in other cities.........heck, even small prairie towns. Kelowna is special I guess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

lesliepaul wrote:How do these restaurants do it in other cities.........heck, even small prairie towns. Kelowna is special I guess.

Kelowna has historically had a high restaurant to population ratio. It might work during tourist season but make it tough in the off season.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bubalouie wrote:Going to try Bunk House one of these days.

I have heard the Mission Creek Golf course has good Chinese. The guy that had the Wok Inn was cooking there last I heard.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Bubalouie wrote:Tried *removed*, not impressed, if I want plain white rice with a few peas thrown in, I can make that at home.
Now some friends just told us about the Bunk House on McCulloch, apparently, they now have a Chinese menu and the gentleman is supposed to be a very good cook, might have to check it out. Wanted to try Wok Inn but when we got there they were not open even though their sign says open 11:30 - 8:00.

The Rutland Wok-Inn is pretty good - they were closed for a week or two to celebrate Chinese new year, I believe.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Ah, that maybe explains why they were not open, could have at least put a sign on the door.
Mission Creek looks closed, apparantly the gentleman at Bunk house was at Wok Inn previously, maybe you got locations mixed up Sudsy? The sign at Bunk house also promotes Kings Kitchen. Think we'll give it a shot this weekend
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Bubalouie wrote:Ah, that maybe explains why they were not open, could have at least put a sign on the door.
Mission Creek looks closed, apparantly the gentleman at Bunk house was at Wok Inn previously, maybe you got locations mixed up Sudsy? The sign at Bunk house also promotes Kings Kitchen. Think we'll give it a shot this weekend

Lol. Its all the same guy. Clem is his name. Best chinese cook around here.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Good to hear Jflem, i take it you have eaten his food?
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The two best oriental restaurants in town are;

Yuni Bistro, chinese restaurant at KLO and Gordon by the Macs. Fresh veggies, meat with no gristle, its my goto. I almost never tried it because the korean place that was there before was so terrible I almost skipped the new restaraunt.

Joons kitchen on Tutt st by lakeshore. This is my favourite place in town, a japanese / thai menu with so many good things. Dishes that are just meat and rice / noodles at most places come with loads of veggies and the best sauces I've had at joons. Now I'm craving some Udon...

Both places are small family run non chain restaurants. Their cozy inside, everyone's friendly, and the prices are good.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

you are so right oldt. once in the big city for a company thing, one of the fellow employees took us out for oriental lunch, when we saw where we were going, was, yikes, not sure i want to eat here. No forks on the tables, everyone was oriental except for us token 5 whites, couldn't read the menu. Was THE best ever
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

oldtrucker wrote:There are no true, non- westernised Chinese restaurants here. Western Chinese food never has cut it for me.

1. Hole in the wall place that no white people know about.
2. No English on the menus.
3.Wait staff don't speak English.
4. You have to point to the menu or point to whatever others are having.
5. Plates of food coming from the kitchen that westerners would consider weird.
6. Chopsticks only-no forks anywhere in the place.
7. The place is busy.

Find these things, and you are in for a kick@$$ meal.

As for good Chinese food in Kelowna ..... :thumbsdown:

Checkout Yumi's its just like that. They even have a special menu that you have to order ahead for because its super traditional and the have to get ingredients.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”