How much does a week of groceries cost in Canada?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: How much does a week of groceries cost in Canada?

Post by Bsuds »

TylerM4 wrote:Yes, but I think most hunters will tell you that by the time you buy a gun, ammo, a hunting vehicle, license/tags, gasoline, and a deep freeze that you're not going to save much/any when compared to buying from the store. Especially if you work in the cost of your time.

Aren't you the one who suggested fishing to reduce cost? How much does a boat and motor cost? Fishing Tackle? etc, etc,

As my buddy said years ago when he caught his first Salmon...this fish just cost me $800. a pound!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

A picture is worth ten thousand words

Egypt - not bad

Mexico - too much pepsi - otherwise not bad

Poland - they like their bread. that could be bad.

Germany - looks expensive

USA - looks like they could become overweight soon.

http://timhalberg.com/blog/weddings/ave ... the-world/
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You already posted that here:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36924&p=1133321&hilit=Egypt#p1133321

That was in 2011 - you think costs have stayed the same?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Thinktank wrote:- Little packages of cut up vegetables cost more than if you cut it yourself - wow - who would have guessed that?
- Buy no name brand food. :smt045 Why should I? so the rich people can get the brand name stuff?
- Eat less meat. Or eat the cheaper meats. That's a whole big other topic - how much meat to eat.
- Check flyers for sales. Yup - I do that. But it's not going to help that much.
- Buy what's in season. Yup - I do that. But it's not going to help that much.
- Stock your freezer. Yup - I do that. But it's not going to help that much.
- Grow a goofy little garden. I happen to grow a bigger garden and think GlobalNews is just wasting people's time
with their advice.

It will, though.

If you're buying more - like squash - that's local and in season, you'll spend a fraction of the amount you'd spend on any of the items that are out of season. When you're talking about the best food for you, local, seasonal ingredients are that.

There's a ton of ways to cut your food budget without cutting your food. An easy way is chicken - buy all of your chicken whole, cut it down and portion it yourself. You've immediately saved money because it's cheaper to buy a whole chicken than all of it's parts separate - also convenient because different cuts of chicken don't cook to the same temperature anyway.

Reducing food waste and using all your trimmings. If you're preparing veggies, save all of the bits of carrot, celery, onion (no skin, etc), that you would otherwise throw out. Freeze them in a ziplock bag and make a veggie stock out of it. Or add it to your meat bones and create a meat stock.

If you do a little bit of reading and research to understand cooking method - roasting, braising/stewing, saute, pan roast, etc - then the ingredients in a recipe doesn't matter quite as much because you'll understand the premise of what's going on. So then you can save money by using what you have instead of buying what you think you need.

Eat leftovers.

I, for one, will buy the best quality meat that I can find, but I'll eat less of it. This means I'll be consuming more veggies, fruits, nuts, rice, etc. All of which are cheaper than meat.

Scratch make everything. Yes, even condiments. It'll be cheaper and healthier for you to make your own Greek salad dressing or your own pickles than to buy them at the store.

Point being, for those who want to eat healthier while also cutting their food budget, it's absolutely possible. You can do it even while purchasing the best ingredients you can find - but you have to make everything yourself.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

I think $200 a week is more than enough for a family of four. Watch what people buy at Costco and you'll see why people think it cost a fortune to eat per month. Don't get me wrong, Costco has some great deals, but you need to go there with a list and stick to it. Wandering the isles and grabbing what looks good is a sure fire way to waste money on food.
Similar to what FreeRights says, we buy whole chickens and cut them up and freeze the meal size portions. We then make chicken stock out of the backs and trimmings. Freeze the stock and you can make delicious home make soups and sauces.
I'm a hunter as well and I butcher my own the game. The initial set up was a few dollars, but the payback takes only a couple of seasons and the quality of the meat can't be beat. We like good quality food, so what we buy can be expensive, but since we prep and cook our food, it ends up being less expensive than buying crappy heat-and-eat foods.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

BUMP

Sorry but I didn't know exactly where this should go. But covid19 appears to be the be all and end all to absolutely GOUGE the Canadian shopper, especially those living without land to grow food. Disgusting and disgraceful, it is.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#318623

<snip>The 11th edition of the food price report, published annually by Dalhousie University and the University of Guelph, has expanded this year to include the University of Saskatchewan and the University of British Columbia, making it more national in scope.

Researchers said in the study that COVID-19 will continue impacting food prices next year, with the meat industry particularly vulnerable to potential labour shortages, logistics disruptions, food plant and distribution centre slowdowns and shifts in consumer demand.

While meat prices could increase as much as 6.5 per cent overall, the biggest price hike could be for poultry, a supply managed industry in Canada.

Poultry prices are up seven per cent since July, Charlebois said, adding that as production costs continue to rise, so will retail prices.

"We are expecting poultry prices to be a bit of an issue," he said."If farmers are asked to spend more on equipment and COVID-19 cleaning protocols, consumers will eventually have to pay more."

Meanwhile, climate change, including heat waves, ice loss, wildfires, floods and droughts, will also influence how much we pay for groceries next year.<snip>

:cuss: the :swear: Believe me, people are hurting out there. What does covid19 NOT cover in causing pain out there?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Grocery prices in Canada have climbed about 240% over the last 20 years.

I lived abroad for many years and moved back here about 15 years ago, every once in awhile, I browse the grocery store flyers from where I lived just to compare, and in the same time the grocery prices have gone up here 180%, they've gone up maybe 10% there.

Just looking today, I found the following prices:

- 1kg of ground beef 6.49€
- 2-3kg whole chicken 4.99€
- 1 kg of carrots 0.69€
- 1 kg of apples 1.25€
- 1 kg of oranges 1.09€
- 1 kg of onions 0.50€
- 100g of gouda 0.54€
- 150g of yogurt 0.29€
- 1L of milk 0.79€
- 1kg of potatoes 0.33€

and most importantly, case of 20x500ml bottles of beer, 10.99€

Those prices are literally almost the same as they were 15 years ago.

A single person there could easily live off of 20€ a week for not only satisfying, but nutritious food, a family of four, 100€. Here, if I really stretch my dollar, I could get just under $50 a week but thats for some pretty questionable choices.

Minimum wage there is 1584€ net a month for comparison.

You really have to start asking yourselves, where is the money for the constant increases here going? There is something very wrong with the food chain in this country.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

OKkayak wrote:Just looking today, I found the following prices:

- 1 kg of carrots 0.69€
- 1 kg of apples 1.25€
- 1 kg of oranges 1.09€
- 1 kg of onions 0.50€
- 100g of gouda 0.54€
- 150g of yogurt 0.29€
- 1L of milk 0.79€
- 1kg of potatoes 0.33€
What grocery chain? Checked European prices on a few of those items showed a different price point.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

OKkayak wrote:and most importantly, case of 20x500ml bottles of beer, 10.99€
Or $17 in CAD.

We're getting ripped off! I think you can get a six-pack here of standard smaller bottles, that's it.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

oneh2obabe wrote:
OKkayak wrote:Just looking today, I found the following prices:

- 1 kg of carrots 0.69€
- 1 kg of apples 1.25€
- 1 kg of oranges 1.09€
- 1 kg of onions 0.50€
- 100g of gouda 0.54€
- 150g of yogurt 0.29€
- 1L of milk 0.79€
- 1kg of potatoes 0.33€
What grocery chain? Checked European prices on a few of those items showed a different price point.
Real

https://www.real-markt.de/markt/wochenp ... _50/page/1

Haven't even checked out the discount grocery stores like Aldi, Lidl or PennyMarkt yet
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Bsuds wrote:
Aren't you the one who suggested fishing to reduce cost? How much does a boat and motor cost? Fishing Tackle? etc, etc,

As my buddy said years ago when he caught his first Salmon...this fish just cost me $800. a pound!
Yeesh. You guys act like I said you can't save money via hunting.

I stand by my statement - most hunters will tell you they don't do it for the savings. They'll tell you they spend as much or even more.

Comparing it to fishing is a little silly don't you think? The average Joe who's never fished can can browse Castanet classifieds and get the basics he needs for shore-fishing for what? $50? They don't need any special transportation, etc.

Same can't be said for hunting. Licenses, tags, an appropriate vehicle, hundreds in a gun, processing equipment, etc.

Yes, you can hunt for cheaper than the meat costs. But almost nobody does.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The cost of the groceries changes depending on what you are eating.

We've gone really low-carb/keto - my inflammation is way down and the pain is almost gone. I'm sleeping better and waking up more easily (though some mornings are still a slog). I've lost some weight, but have been holding steady at a size 12 (or so, some things are 10, some are 14 depending on maker). I feel better. But YIKES is it expensive! :200: Good quality oils (Avocado, olive coconut, butter from grass-fed cows . . .), meats, LOTS of meats.

Carbs are cheap - and they make me sick. :cry: I find drinking wine and eating bread is something I pay for - in the cost of pain and inflammation.

Low carb doesn't necessarily mean no-carb, I just have to choose them wisely. Some "keto" stuff in the markets is way too processed, sticking with home-grown veggies when I can is what we're doing. Spaghetti squash, celery, greens. Things that grow above-ground. I try to keep my carb-count around 18g for the day.

Some people can eat carbs with no issues. We all have different metabolisms, different sensitivities.
I haven't failed until I quit.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Lady tehMa wrote:The cost of the groceries changes depending on what you are eating.
This is very true.

Along those lines: North American diets often include highly processed and unhealthy foods because they're fast/easy and many are lazy or don't want to cook. BUT, they're also often selected because they are cheaper! It's literally cheaper to buy a pre-made highly processed frozen Lasagna than it is to make one yourself.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It is amazing to me how many people either don't cook because they don't like it or they simply can't cook and they don't want to learn.

My wife and I seldom go out to eat mainly because it's very expensive for what you get. I don't mind paying good money for a good experience but that is seldom the case.

The rise of the home delivery companies is ludicrous too me, although I wish that I had been on that bandwagon in the beginning. It confirms that people are too lazy or unwilling to cook anymore.

We love cooking and it's fun. I am one of those who will buy the latest piece of equipment that makes different things so I can do more at home. I love making bread and because of the season, cookies. I can control what goes in but I also understand that I am not reinventing the wheel by making bread. Carbs is carbs. But I can control the sugar and salt so it feels better.

However, it still costs us about 800.00 or so for the two of us which drives me crazy. We try to stick to the list but it just doesn't feel possible to do it for less than that, at least not for us.

I agree with Think Tank (weird, huh?) as I think he/she made some good points about food quality and not skimping on that because you will pay for it later.

Find somewhere else to cut corners in order to ensure that you are buying good, wholesome food.

We keep the wine racks full, the beer fridge stocked and the freezers full. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, don't laugh, it could happen, we will be in good shape.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

mexi cali wrote: It is amazing to me how many people either don't cook because they don't like it or they simply can't cook and they don't want to learn.

My wife and I seldom go out to eat mainly because it's very expensive for what you get. I don't mind paying good money for a good experience but that is seldom the case.

The rise of the home delivery companies is ludicrous too me, although I wish that I had been on that bandwagon in the beginning. It confirms that people are too lazy or unwilling to cook anymore.

We love cooking and it's fun. I am one of those who will buy the latest piece of equipment that makes different things so I can do more at home. I love making bread and because of the season, cookies. I can control what goes in but I also understand that I am not reinventing the wheel by making bread. Carbs is carbs. But I can control the sugar and salt so it feels better.

However, it still costs us about 800.00 or so for the two of us which drives me crazy. We try to stick to the list but it just doesn't feel possible to do it for less than that, at least not for us.

I agree with Think Tank (weird, huh?) as I think he/she made some good points about food quality and not skimping on that because you will pay for it later.

Find somewhere else to cut corners in order to ensure that you are buying good, wholesome food.

We keep the wine racks full, the beer fridge stocked and the freezers full. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, don't laugh, it could happen, we will be in good shape.
Since we shouldn’t be getting together with others on our weekends. It’s great opportunity to make wholesome frozen TV dinners.
I have been doing this for decades.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”