Quinoa

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Quinoa

Post by WeatherWoman »

I tried quinoa and didn't like a few years ago. This past month I thought I would try it again. The key is to rinse in cold water first and cook in broth. Miso or chicken is what I use. Made the family try it...kids didn't care for it.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Yes, the rinsing is key as it gets rid of that coating that gives it the nasty flavour. I don't mind quinoa at all, I'd cook more of it if I could get the family to eat it. As it stands, husband made a comment "I'm not eating a grain that looks like sperm" and the kids were younger, heard it, and refused to eat it as well.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Hubby's comment seals the deal...no quinoa for moi !
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Somewhat similar reason why I don't eat bananas.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:topic:

I actually was raised not to say disgusting things about food. Everyone enjoys what they do or don't but there is no need to put disgusting images overlayed on what people enjoy.

I think that describing anything in a denigerating way is a passive-aggressive move to destroy someone's enjoyment.

As for quinoa, we are adding our own diced tomatoes and red peppers to the last of the bought salad. I will be buying and making my own sooner than later. Especially now that the parsely is growing again. Yes, I have fresh parsley already.

:130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Yeah...well get back to us AFTER you have tried quinoa and tell us if you still feel the same way.
I have hated mushrooms for all of my life. People tell me, "You can't taste them, just try them". I have tried them and that is how I know I don't like them. If I can't taste them, then why would I eat them?
Why are there so many trying to get me to eat something that I don't like?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That happened to me with cabbage rolls. I don't like them and it's amazing how many people push them on me.

I am going shopping soon and plan to buy my first round of quinoa. Thank God for youtube to show me how to cook it.

I'm going to try various ways to prepare it, one being with the mint flavour that I had in the Costco pre-mix.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

No matter how many song/dance routines that you can do with LIVER, (shudder), it will not go between these discerning lips.

Sorry if you are put off your quinoa QK, by my thoughtless agreement to the idea of eating same. Dine away.

Far away.

[icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If you're moving in to the "backyard suite" it won't be that far. ha ha.

My thoughts are that if I'm not trying new things, I'm not alive.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote::topic:

I actually was raised not to say disgusting things about food. Everyone enjoys what they do or don't but there is no need to put disgusting images overlayed on what people enjoy.

I think that describing anything in a denigerating way is a passive-aggressive move to destroy someone's enjoyment.

As for quinoa, we are adding our own diced tomatoes and red peppers to the last of the bought salad. I will be buying and making my own sooner than later. Especially now that the parsely is growing again. Yes, I have fresh parsley already.

:130:

Unfortunately there were some it didn't take with.

I think it is a tasty grain. But yeah, the shape is humorous :130:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

Queen K wrote:That happened to me with cabbage rolls. I don't like them and it's amazing how many people push them on me.

I am going shopping soon and plan to buy my first round of quinoa. Thank God for youtube to show me how to cook it.

I'm going to try various ways to prepare it, one being with the mint flavour that I had in the Costco pre-mix.

The colours of quinoa slightly differ in consistency and flavour. If you like nutty and slightly crunchy, red may be your preference. Plenty say there is no difference between the varieties. I have ultra-sensitivity to flavours, but I don’t know if that applies to you or anyone else.
I am... the law!
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Queen K wrote:That happened to me with cabbage rolls. I don't like them and it's amazing how many people push them on me.

I cook ours in our rice cooker....easy peasy
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”