Corn shacks

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Corn shacks

Post by vegas1500 »

I’ve heard the corn shacks are in Vernon. Any one seen them in Kelowna yet?
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Re: Corn shacks

Post by MalaPropina »

There won't be any in Kelowna this year. :cry:

You'll have to go to Vernon or Chilliwack.

From their Facebook page:

Hello everyone.
We’re sorry the barns are not in Kelowna this year however each year we have more and more trouble hiring employees. This year we were struggling to find a manager as our daughter is in University and doing a different co-op. It seems it’s harder and harder to find labor now a days but we have the most trouble in Kelowna. This forced us to make the unfortunate decision not to open the corn barns there. That is the reason.
If there are local stores that want to carry our corn we do have custom bins available for display and we can ship and pick daily for them. Otherwise the only alternative is our Vernon Barns.
Thanks. The corn crew. .

Edited to add quote
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Sounds like another justification for using TFW's. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Don-O-Rays on Benvolin has Chilliwack corn $1/cob if you buy 12, and it is fresh. I checked all the other places this morning and none of them were open yet.
Bring back the LIKE button.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

alanjh595 wrote:Don-O-Rays on Benvolin has Chilliwack corn $1/cob if you buy 12, and it is fresh. I checked all the other places this morning and none of them were open yet.

Days Farm on Byrne Rd have good corn, often it is peaches and cream. Not sure what they have this year though.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

DarbyD wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Don-O-Rays on Benvolin has Chilliwack corn $1/cob if you buy 12, and it is fresh. I checked all the other places this morning and none of them were open yet.

Days Farm on Byrne Rd have good corn, often it is peaches and cream. Not sure what they have this year though.

No corn at Days yet. We drove by there today and they are not even open.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The one by Vernon's Rona was up and running when I went past it.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

DarbyD wrote:

Bsuds wrote:
No corn at Days yet. We drove by there today and they are not even open.

There's a Hazeldell Orchards tent with produce on the corner of Cooper and Benvoulin. About an acre of old fruit trees were removed earlier, and that's all been planted in various veggies including corn.

Their main entrance is also on Byrn Road.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I drove down Benvounlin turned onto Cooper and noticed the place behind the church, planted area of corn.
Of course it could be I've never noticed it before.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

DarbyD wrote:

Not open yet, I checked yesterday.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:I drove down Benvounlin turned onto Cooper and noticed the place behind the church, planted area of corn.
Of course it could be I've never noticed it before.

It used to be Fruit trees that were taken out awhile ago.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I also noticed a large white tent set-up on the lawn of the old house on Cooper, just as Benvolin bends. I wonder if they are going to reopen that old corn place again?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote:I also noticed a large white tent set-up on the lawn of the old house on Cooper, just as Benvolin bends. I wonder if they are going to reopen that old corn place again?

I think that's what I'm talking about and it's Hazeldell Orchards back yard basically.

Smart move as there's plenty of traffic going by that spot.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:No corn at Days yet. We drove by there today and they are not even open.

"Day's" is also displaying a different name, according to the roadside sign.
Maybe it was sold? Not that it makes a difference to us corn afficianos.

Apparently, the corn shacks has run into some difficulty by selling, "local", because it comes from Chilliwack. It has ticked off the local corn farmers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:"Day's" is also displaying a different name, according to the roadside sign.

When did you see this and what might the new name be? I have driven past 2 or 3 times in the last few days and have not noticed a new sign.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”