Grateful Fed= Ellis and Bernard

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Postby OREZ » Jul 31st, 2007, 3:19 pm

After hearing some good things and having stopped by to watch a couple of bands play last summer I finally got a chance to try the food and was quite disappointed. Dry, over-cooked chicken is just not my thing, I'm afraid. Nothing was particularly fresh or flavorful. It wasn't horrible but it was definitely not a place I would recommend, I don't know if somebody was having an off night or what but as far as I'm concerned, a small local restaurant that mostly relies on word of mouth promotion can't afford to have an off night.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1082 posts

Postby onestop67 » Jul 31st, 2007, 3:21 pm

OREZ wrote:After hearing some good things and having stopped by to watch a couple of bands play last summer I finally got a chance to try the food and was quite disappointed. Dry, over-cooked chicken is just not my thing, I'm afraid. Nothing was particularly fresh or flavorful. It wasn't horrible but it was definitely not a place I would recommend, I don't know if somebody was having an off night or what but as far as I'm concerned, a small local restaurant that mostly relies on word of mouth promotion can't afford to have an off night.

They don't rely on a dinner crowd although that is no reason for making bad food. The daytime has the downtown workers that support it, and the night time has the liquor license to support it.
onestop67
Guru

Liked in: 308 posts

Postby OREZ » Jul 31st, 2007, 3:30 pm

onestop67 wrote:They don't rely on a dinner crowd although that is no reason for making bad food. The daytime has the downtown workers that support it, and the night time has the liquor license to support it.

Actually now that you mention it, the waitress was pleasant enough but seemed much more focused on keeping a steady flow of booze going out to the patio than anything else so I guess I might think about having a beer on the patio but I won't be eating there again.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Postby JGirl » Jul 31st, 2007, 3:36 pm

Closing during the mid-afternoon is very European SIESTA! ;)

Kamel does not lock up before Ryan starts.

"nighttime" starts at 4PM with a great jug special... $9.99 from 4-8, which leads into the entertainment. Is is illegal to pimp beer in castanet? lol oops.

The food menu has changed since last summer. The food quality / consistencey is better but not amazing.

I host events there regularly and I went thru a phase where I didnt eat their food at all.... in fact, I would take our out-of-town guest performers elsewhere for dinner first.... loL!

Now the food is pretty average, which is a huge improvement from awful. hah
JGirl

Liked in: 0 post

Postby onestop67 » Jul 31st, 2007, 3:39 pm

JGirl wrote:Closing during the mid-afternoon is very European SIESTA! ;)

Anymore.

They did close for a couple hours before Ryan would get there for quite some time.
onestop67
Guru

Postby OREZ » Jul 31st, 2007, 4:16 pm

"nighttime" starts at 4PM with a great jug special... $9.99 from 4-8, which leads into the entertainment. Is is illegal to pimp beer in castanet? lol oops.

The food menu has changed since last summer. The food quality / consistencey is better but not amazing.

I host events there regularly and I went thru a phase where I didnt eat their food at all.... in fact, I would take our out-of-town guest performers elsewhere for dinner first.... loL!

With a name like, The Grateful Fed, I had no idea that their primary focus would be serving alcohol, maybe they should call it The Grateful Drunk
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Postby JGirl » Jul 31st, 2007, 4:22 pm

onestop67 wrote:

Anymore.

They did close for a couple hours before Ryan would get there for quite some time.

Yes they did. that was three plus years ago..... Have you not been in three years?
JGirl

Postby JGirl » Jul 31st, 2007, 4:30 pm

OREZ wrote:

With a name like, The Grateful Fed, I had no idea that their primary focus would be serving alcohol, maybe they should call it The Grateful Drunk

Right on... If you bold bits and pieces like that, yes your perception would suggest mainly alcohol in your eyes. :12077: bravo.

God forbid a place serves alcohol and food and has live music in varying degrees through it's 18 hour day and someone on this forum has to point it out the alcohol part in such an exciting old-mannish manner. lol!

In my eyes it can be called The Grateful GIG but I digress...
JGirl

Postby onestop67 » Jul 31st, 2007, 4:31 pm

JGirl wrote:
onestop67 wrote:

Anymore.

Yes they did. that was three plus years ago..... Have you not been in three years?

nope. Karim is a friend of mine. I would go there once in awhile when he was doing the nights with Ryan. That and I was away for a couple years.
onestop67
Guru

Postby OREZ » Jul 31st, 2007, 4:39 pm

JGirl wrote:
OREZ wrote:

Right on... If you bold bits and pieces like that, yes your perception would suggest mainly alcohol in your eyes. :12077: bravo.

God forbid a place serves alcohol and food and has live music in varying degrees through it's 18 hour day and someone on this forum has to point it out the alcohol part in such an exciting old-mannish manner. lol!

In my eyes it can be called The Grateful GIG but I digress...

huh?
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Postby JGirl » Jul 31st, 2007, 4:53 pm

exactly.

Or "The Grateful Happy-Hour-on-the-patio-with-friends-and-a-chimmie-changa-and-beer-to-unwind-after-a-day-at-the-office."

hrm.
JGirl

Postby OREZ » Jul 31st, 2007, 5:16 pm

Good one JGirl, but they probably shouldn't call it, The-Ungrateful-Guy-Who-Made-The-Mistake-Of-Meeting-Someone-He-Doesn't-Get-To-See-As-Often-As-He'd-Like-And-Found-That-The-Food-Royally-Sucked.

LOL
I mean that in the nicest possible way. I've enjoyed watching bands there a few times, I think it's actually a pretty cool place.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Postby kgcayenne » Jul 31st, 2007, 5:43 pm

So OREZ, are you saying that the Grateful Fed isn't a place to take a date? Where is a good place to take a date?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3934 posts

Postby OREZ » Jul 31st, 2007, 5:47 pm

Oh, Perkins or The Pantry has an excellent selection of, ahem, "old mannish" food.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Postby FreeRights » Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:53 pm

I absolutely love the Grateful Fed myself - I'm there most Friday or Saturday nights, enjoying local music and such. There food is okay. Remember, it's more of a bar at nighttime, so you get what you'd expect from a bar full of drunks.

Like I said, the attractive aspect for me is the bands. Thats why I go.
FreeRights
Guru

Liked in: 2009 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts