Kelowna Fire Scanner Online

The hot spot for fire-related discussions.
toasteroven

Re: To hear Kelowna Fire Scanner Online

Post by toasteroven »

tawnylee wrote:One lady says it might have just been a cloud? Poor thing, probably feels like a doofus, but really, better to be safe than sorry!

The unit on-site has said that they still cannot see any smoke. I'm on the fence.. much better to be safe than sorry, but how much resources are being wasted driving around... tough balance...
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

I could use a couple apple turnovers right about now too!

*sorry, just thought I'd try some humor to lighten the load!
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
toasteroven

Post by toasteroven »

Yeah - that was pretty funny. :coffeecanuck: How not to wear your mic and lean over the window while ordering Timmy's lol.
toasteroven

Post by toasteroven »

Sounds like the Boucherie fire was a false. Nothing to see here... move along.
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

I love how polite everyone on the radio is to each other regardless of the stress they are under.... and also how calm they all are.
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

I've missed the location twice now... the white smoke they are talking about - where is this?
toasteroven

Post by toasteroven »

Snickerdoodle wrote:I've missed the location twice now... the white smoke they are talking about - where is this?

Whitman / Whiteman Rd... 17k marker... heavy static and breakup, hard to tell.
whiskeywarrior

Post by whiskeywarrior »

Snickerdoodle wrote:I've missed the location twice now... the white smoke they are talking about - where is this?

I'm listening snickerdoodle, if I hear I'll let ya know
whiskeywarrior

Post by whiskeywarrior »

toasteroven wrote:

Whitman / Whiteman Rd... 17k marker... heavy static and breakup, hard to tell.

Ah ok .... thank you toasteroven
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

Thank you both of you.
Sounds like a lot of them are coming in. But I'm under the impression a rank 6 fire you can't have ground crews... so if this is correct, and the helicopters are starting to come in.... then are we once again at mother natures mercy until 7am.
dieselDaryl

Post by dieselDaryl »

I think the guys at ScanBC.com and tac9.ca deserve a pat on the back. Sometimes the "official" information just doesn't cut it and these guys have stepped up to allow the average person to get quite a bit more info that what is being dished out.

According to the thread on their site, they've had 200+ listeners at one time and I know bandwidth and the equipment they have probably ain't cheap. I sent a few bucks their way and would hope that others would do the same if they found the info useful.

donate button is on the main page http://www.scanbc.com no affiliation, yadda yadda..

cheers,
Daryl
toasteroven

Post by toasteroven »

Snickerdoodle wrote:Thank you both of you.
Sounds like a lot of them are coming in. But I'm under the impression a rank 6 fire you can't have ground crews... so if this is correct, and the helicopters are starting to come in.... then are we once again at mother natures mercy until 7am.

Yes; difficult with the conflicting information to know what is going on.

News release indicated they would devote 24-hour support to fighting the fire.

However, a Rank 6 does not usually allow the possibility for ground fighting. Members nearly got killed back in '03 and that was when the OKP fire was rated a 5, with "5/6 characteristics".

Scanner's gotten awfully quiet.

I guess we'll have to wait some more to see the glow / flames to attempt to make an assessment ourselves, but of course, the fire looks so much closer in the dark...

That is my fear... without any solid "official" information, the possibility for people to panic and react to rumor /supposition is that much higher.

I saw that donation button and sent them some $$ too Daryl; good suggestion.
HarveyB

Post by HarveyB »

Daryl and all others feel free to stop by http://www.scanbc.com/irc
and say hi to everyone involved. If you like the scanning this group monitors comunications from all across, you can visit the web site at www.scanbc.com

Regards,
HarveyB

dieselDaryl wrote:I think the guys at ScanBC.com and tac9.ca deserve a pat on the back. Sometimes the "official" information just doesn't cut it and these guys have stepped up to allow the average person to get quite a bit more info that what is being dished out.

According to the thread on their site, they've had 200+ listeners at one time and I know bandwidth and the equipment they have probably ain't cheap. I sent a few bucks their way and would hope that others would do the same if they found the info useful.

donate button is on the main page http://www.scanbc.com no affiliation, yadda yadda..

cheers,
Daryl
www.scanbc.com
badtabu

Post by badtabu »

From the fires on the scanner is there a list of which fire is which? I know the Terrace Mountain is 720 but now the fire numbers are up to 878 just wondering where all the others are.? is there a website with all the listings?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

badtabu wrote:From the fires on the scanner is there a list of which fire is which? I know the Terrace Mountain is 720 but now the fire numbers are up to 878 just wondering where all the others are.? is there a website with all the listings?

No.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “2011 Fire Watch”