Kelownans Opposed to the Olympics

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
watchman414

Kelownans Opposed to the Olympics

Post by watchman414 »

I can think of very few good reasons for the Olympics and I can think of many, many reasons to not support the Olympics.

Here are some of the reasons I don't support the Olympics. I invite anyone to add to the list.

I oppose the Olympics because:

1. We are spending money we don't have
2. We are increasing our debt load
3. Our kids and grandkids will be burdened with the task of repaying the debt
4. Too many Olympic athletes cheat by using performance enhancing drugs
5. Too many hockey millionaires are competing in something that was supposed to be about amateur athletics
6. Over $1 Billion is being spent on security alone.
7. The funds for the Olympics would be much better spent eliminating poverty, helping Haiti, or feeding drought-stricken victims in Africa
8. We are teaching our kids that self-fulfillment, the act of skiing faster than someone else, really has some value - when it doesn't.
9. We are teaching another generation of Olympic athletes to start training immediately, 5 hours per day for 4 years, to try and win a gold medal at the Olympics.
10. We are reinforcing the notion that its alright to spend millions on ourselves and ignore the plights of others.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelownans Opposed to the Olympics

Post by Captain Awesome »

Although some of the reasons you've listed are valid, some of them are kind of lame.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
ClarenceandSylvia

Post by ClarenceandSylvia »

I once supported the games, but since knowing that official olympic merchandise is being manufactured in China, I am diametrically opposed to the games. The games are supposed to be a showcase of the best our country has to offer - which it is not! Despite from Rick Thorpe that the merchandise is contracted out to a British Columbia company, and that they verified the factory in China for abuses of workers - I don't buy that one bit. Why couldn't they contract out to textile mills down east under threat of closing? It's all about $$$GREED$$$ - while no Canadian jobs were created.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Captain Awesome wrote:Although some of the reasons you've listed are valid, some of them are kind of lame.

Perhaps you should focus more on the valid ones Captain, and less on those YOU consider "lame".

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I don't understand why some people are so opposed to the Olympics now. Were they all so vocal in their opposition eight years ago when the decision was made to put in a bid? It's a couple of weeks to the start of the games -- it's not like they're giong to be cancelled because all of a sudden people are upset.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Nebula wrote:I don't understand why some people are so opposed to the Olympics now. Were they all so vocal in their opposition eight years ago when the decision was made to put in a bid? It's a couple of weeks to the start of the games -- it's not like they're giong to be cancelled because all of a sudden people are upset.

I agree to a point Nebula, in the sense that no amount of squealing is going to change anything at this point.

Still, I think it is fair that those who are opposed to the 2010 games in Vancouver still have a forum to say so, and openly state their reasons for feeling that way.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Nebula wrote:I don't understand why some people are so opposed to the Olympics now. Were they all so vocal in their opposition eight years ago when the decision was made to put in a bid? It's a couple of weeks to the start of the games -- it's not like they're going to be cancelled because all of a sudden people are upset.

Exactly "Nebula"

I made my feeling known during bidding process ( maybe a little on the board ). What is done is done.

Oh Mr. or Mrs J Doe apposes 2010 games February 10, 2010, sorry folks we have had to cancel so please all of you go home. :dyinglaughing:
ClarenceandSylvia

Post by ClarenceandSylvia »

My point is not that I don't like the games - it's how they're being run - the corruption, and all the secrecy and backroom deals - I hope some officials end up in a local federal penitentiary as a result - just like in the Montreal summer olympics. The games should be by Canadians, and for Canadians, and none of this Made In China *bleep* - Our country, our games, our jobs - just like it was during the Calgary '88 olympics.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

NAB wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Although some of the reasons you've listed are valid, some of them are kind of lame.

Perhaps you should focus more on the valid ones Captain, and less on those YOU consider "lame".

Nab

Well, there are valid ones - like the state of our economy, our giant deficit, our sad state of some of the public services...But how exactly you can avoid it - I don't know. Ten years ago nobody could foresee it. And once you get on the bus, you can only ride it all the way to the end, no jumping off it. Ten years ago the terrorist threat was non-existent. After 9/11 and all the wars we're involved in...Is anyone surprised that the security budget went up so much?

Anyways. The OP brings up some good points (1,2,3,6). Rest of them are not even worth talking about. Especially #8.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I was glad to see the protesters in such good moods today. All smiles and they even seemed to be half celebrating the Olympics by sporting Olympic merchandise.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

The main reason I am Opposed to the Olympics, is that our Province is suffering severly with cutback after cutback, and lack of funding for things we needed many years ago.

The second reason I dislike the Olympics being hosted in BC, is that Gordon Campbell had to create the HST and Carbon Tax to bring in revenue to cover the Billions in shortfalls.

The best part of the Olympics might be that Gordy will bow out just before the final Olympic tally is done.
theartsyfartsy

Post by theartsyfartsy »

Nebula wrote:I don't understand why some people are so opposed to the Olympics now. Were they all so vocal in their opposition eight years ago when the decision was made to put in a bid? It's a couple of weeks to the start of the games -- it's not like they're giong to be cancelled because all of a sudden people are upset.

While its redundant for people to complain about the games now - they're going to happen, regardless of how much protesting goes on, its important to be able to express yourself right? that's what freedom of speech is about....right?
As far as I know, the reason there wasn't much opposition 8 years ago might have something to do with the fact that nobody outside of Vancouver/The Lower Mainland had the opportunity to voice their opinion on the olympic bid (via referendum)
If common sense was common, it wouldn't be called common sense.
TedD
Board Meister

Post by TedD »

Glacier wrote:I was glad to see the protesters in such good moods today. All smiles and they even seemed to be half celebrating the Olympics by sporting Olympic merchandise.

Haha! Classic! :dyinglaughing: :127:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

theartsyfartsy wrote:As far as I know, the reason there wasn't much opposition 8 years ago might have something to do with the fact that nobody outside of Vancouver/The Lower Mainland had the opportunity to voice their opinion on the olympic bid (via referendum)

Well, it's mostly people in Vancouver who are impacted, really...
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Captain Awesome wrote:
theartsyfartsy wrote:As far as I know, the reason there wasn't much opposition 8 years ago might have something to do with the fact that nobody outside of Vancouver/The Lower Mainland had the opportunity to voice their opinion on the olympic bid (via referendum)

Well, it's mostly people in Vancouver who are impacted, really...

How true that is Captain.

8 - 10 years ago the Olympics weren't even on my radar, and I like to think I keep reasonably tuned in to what is going on most of the time. But then more important 'things' were going on in my personal life which took priority, such as retiring and getting my retired butt out of the Okanagan.

Trying to remember when the 2010 Olympics first captured my serious attention, I think it was when the final thrust and presentations took place and they were awarded to Vancouver. I remember thinking "how nice for Vancouver". It sure didn't mean much to me living elsewhere in BC until I finally realized what it meant in terms of potential costs to everyone who didn't live there.

Since then, the horror stories just got worse and worse.

Nab

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”