Kelownans Opposed to the Olympics

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Kelownans Opposed to the Olympics

Post by grammafreddy »

westsidebud wrote:
Nebula wrote:
westsidebud wrote:here nab and all you olympic bashers , if your against the games your also against this to.

What an entirely ridiculous statement.

you cant have your cake and eat it to, sorry . your either against the olympics or your for them.

snowskis-1000 bux
olympic venues millions
inspiration to kids - priceless

im for and always have been for the games because i understand what its realy about. you and your partners in crime equate it to money, well boohoo lol its not about you

So YOU understand what the Olympics is REALLY about????? Oh, please, enlighten us. Include, if you will, your logic about how to pay for them, why they have to cost so much, the lack of Canadian suppliers of merchandise and uniforms, what is not being funded while we're being gouged for the party fun, how they have hidden and manipulated the costs, how they have broken promises made in their application to host the games, the farce of the homeless housing, the lunacy of holding winter games in a climate such as theirs, the benefit to the average taxpayer, the hugely inflated hotel costs, and anything else you can think of that even remotely supports your stance ...

Sorry, WSB, it's not about YOU either. It IS about power, greed and money for the elite. Sports just happen to be their vehicle to gain it. You have been brainwashed and hoodwinked. Boohoo to you, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Does anyone really know what the Olympics are all about? Does anyone have a monopoly on the definition? I think the true meaning of the Olympics will depend upon who you ask. It is funny though the lengths some people will go to in insisting that they and they alone are the sole person entitled to define the meaning of the Olympics.
Back with a vengeance
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Al Czervic wrote:Does anyone really know what the Olympics are all about? Does anyone have a monopoly on the definition? I think the true meaning of the Olympics will depend upon who you ask. It is funny though the lengths some people will go to in insisting that they and they alone are the sole person entitled to define the meaning of the Olympics.

I cannot say I could clearly enunciate what the Olympics are really about Al because so much of that has been lost in the pursuit of commercialization and an excuse to spend money on extravagant facilities and infrastructure that might otherwise not be supported.

But most should not have any problem clarifying what they ARE NOT ABOUT. Similar talking points I suppose to the annual debate about the meaning of Christmas and whether Santa is real or not ;-).

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
dogman
Fledgling

Post by dogman »

Al Czervic wrote:Does anyone really know what the Olympics are all about? Does anyone have a monopoly on the definition? I think the true meaning of the Olympics will depend upon who you ask. It is funny though the lengths some people will go to in insisting that they and they alone are the sole person entitled to define the meaning of the Olympics.

That's simple,what it boils down to is to see who can come down the hill the fastest or go around the circle the fastest.Billions spent to find out:>
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

dogman wrote:

That's simple,what it boils down to is to see who can come down the hill the fastest or go around the circle the fastest.Billions spent to find out:>

Ten billion dollars (Who knows? No one is saying.) to see who can go the fastest, or see who can throw the most elaborate, costly, wasteful, and exclusive ten day party possible. The modern day Olympics are about arrogant idiocy (appropriate to this government). Fifty years or more of drowning debt for the people of BC to pay to clean up after it (will still be paying long after everyone forgot what even happenned here these next two weeks - unless, God forbid, there is some terrorist act).
dogman
Fledgling

Post by dogman »

steven lloyd wrote:
dogman wrote:

Ten billion dollars (Who knows? No one is saying.) to see who can go the fastest, or see who can throw the most elaborate, costly, wasteful, and exclusive ten day party possible. The modern day Olympics are about arrogant idiocy (appropriate to this government). Fifty years or more of drowning debt for the people of BC to pay to clean up after it (will still be paying long after everyone forgot what even happenned here these next two weeks - unless, God forbid, there is some terrorist act).

I have my doubts we ever will find out how much this thing costs.My view,one million is insane,one billion is criminal,0ne billion + has no words to explain that or justify it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

dogman wrote: I have my doubts we ever will find out how much this thing costs.My view,one million is insane,one billion is criminal,0ne billion + has no words to explain that or justify it.

Agreed. A billion here, a billion there - pretty soon we're talking real money ( I love that saying ).
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

It is planning to set up its own medical clinic in the Downtown Eastside. And protesters have been advised to wear goggles and bandanas soaked in apple cider to counteract the effects of pepper spray and tear gas.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome

I hope few of them get run over by a truck! At least then the money spent on security will be well spent!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:

I hope few of them get run over by a truck! At least then the money spent on security will be well spent!

How about this one!

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

This is so awesome. If it wasn't for PETA logo, I'd buy one.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

I'd buy one if it was a PETA member being clubbed.
fit4u5
Fledgling

Post by fit4u5 »

Glacier wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:

How about this one!

that's how our provincial and federal gov treats us if we protest
heyyy455

Post by heyyy455 »

I am incredibly filled with sadness when I see posts like the one that was posted to begin this forum.
People in Kelowna and especially around BC and Canada, most are extremely happy about the Olympics. You can complain and argue all you want, until your blue in the face, this is a life changing, and extremely awarding event. These athletes pay their way to the Olympics, the government does not pay for them as most other countries governments do. There are so many shows on TV about dancing, and singing and talents like those, that people support and I can guarantee you watch. However, you oppose something that shows off the talents of these amazing athletes?
Do you not think they deserve to be able to show off their excellent skills and abilities?
If the money did not go to the olympics, you have no idea where it would be spent. Guaranteed you would still be complaining because it would not have gone to the area which you believe most deserves it.
I think the best thing for you to do, is to shut your mouth, and to enjoy this unbelievable show that Canada and BC especially has had the benefit to put on.
Instead of bashing it, welcome it.
Its your country... you live in it, you should respect it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

fit4u5 wrote:
Glacier wrote:Image

May be in your own little fantasy world.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Captain Awesome wrote:
fit4u5 wrote:
Glacier wrote:Image

May be in your own little fantasy world.

only a total *bleep* would wear a pin like that.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”