Praise continues to roll in for the Games

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Russ79
Board Meister

Praise continues to roll in for the Games

Post by Russ79 »

Ah this article of course is written by the ones who wanted the games. The party is halfway over folks. Soon we gotta pay the bill. Too bad praise and a pat on the back doesnt pay the bills.

but anyhow...Go Canada!! we need more golds!! And the hockey this olympics is awesome!!
If you are reading this thank your teacher.
If you are reading this in english thank a vet.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Praise continues to roll in for the Games

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Well, I must admit, Canadian's sure know how to throw a party.

Canada's Jon Montgomery wins gold medal in Olympic men's skeleton.

Well done!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Type_O wrote:Well, I must admit, Canadian's sure know how to throw a party.

I never remembered us needing an excuse to do that :130:
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

It just never cost us billions of dollars and school closures and cutbacks in healthcare and... before.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

just like a hangover after a party ......WE are really going to be paying for it......for YEARS........
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

I'm not paying for it. I've said it before. I'm leaving the bills to my children and grandchildren.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Awesome achievement!
Love the BC Olympic Games.
We are so fortunate that BC is our home.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

6billion + buys one heck of a 2 week party. Make no mistake, the hangover is coming. Increased HST and/or property taxes. Increased provincial income tax. It's coming.....you hear it.....I sure do.

But hey, I am enjoying it while it lasts. Really enjoyed watching skeleton redneck dude from Manisnowba chugging that pitcher and the spontaneous Canadian anthem from the crowds. Very cool. Very Canadian in every way. Great crowds. Even curling is like a UFC event. C U R L I N G....!!!! The most boring non Olympic like Olympic event possible. Requires ZERO athletic skill. Like throwing darts in a bar. Even T H A T is interesting because of the crowds. It's infectious and I readily admit I got the bug!

But that hangover is a comin. Like doing drugs. Feels great but you gotta pay the price afterwards......here it comes......like a freight train.
Last edited by Cateyes on Feb 20th, 2010, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Find something to give a damn about!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Cateyes wrote:6billion + buys one heck of a 2 week party. Make no mistake, the hangover is coming. Increased HST and/or property taxes. Increased provincial income tax. It's coming.....you hear it.....I sure do.

But hey, I am enjoying it while it lasts. Really enjoyed watching skeleton redneck dude from Manisnowba chugging that pitcher and the spontaneous Canadian anthem from the crowds. Very cool. Very Canadian in every way. Great crowds. Even curling is like a UFC event. C U R L I N G....!!!! The most boring Olympic event possible. Requires ZERO athletic skill. Like throwing darts in a bar. Even T H A T is interesting because of the crowds. It's infectious and I readily admit I got the bug!

But that hangover is a comin. Like doing drugs. Feels great but you gotta pay the price afterwards......here it comes......like a freight train.

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

whatisupcastanet wrote:
Cateyes wrote:6billion + buys one heck of a 2 week party. Make no mistake, the hangover is coming. Increased HST and/or property taxes. Increased provincial income tax. It's coming.....you hear it.....I sure do.

But hey, I am enjoying it while it lasts. Really enjoyed watching skeleton redneck dude from Manisnowba chugging that pitcher and the spontaneous Canadian anthem from the crowds. Very cool. Very Canadian in every way. Great crowds. Even curling is like a UFC event. C U R L I N G....!!!! The most boring Olympic event possible. Requires ZERO athletic skill. Like throwing darts in a bar. Even T H A T is interesting because of the crowds. It's infectious and I readily admit I got the bug!

http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Olym ... story.html
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Type_O wrote: Well, I must admit, Canadian's sure know how to throw a party.

Never a doubt:

Downtown liquor stores forced to close early
By: ctvbc.ca
Date: Saturday Feb. 20, 2010 9:09 PM PT

Liquor stores in downtown Vancouver were forced to close their doors at 7 p.m. Saturday.
The Vancouver Police Department asked the B.C. Liquor Control and Licensing Branch to order the early closings in an effort to curb the open consumption of liquor and public intoxication.

"The Olympic fans aren't a problem for us, it's those who are coming into the city exclusively to get drunk." said Const. Jana McGuinness in a statement.

"The strategy behind this is to stop the supply of alcohol to the streets. We are seeing people replenishing their stock at nearby liquor stores and then openly consuming the liquor in the streets."

It remains to be seen whether early store closures will continue for the duration of the Games.
"This is a temporary measure and must be reassessed on a day by day basis," McGuinness told ctvbc.ca.

Premier Gordon Campbell told CTV News Saturday night that early closings were necessary.
"There's a huge number of people downtown and we have to make sure everything goes well for everyone," he said.

"I think an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

One liquor store owner told CTV News that the bulk of his business is from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
"I think it's going to be devastating to my business," said Mike Jahnke, owner of Jimmy's Cold Beer and Wine on Homer Street.

Jahnke said it's unfair that the order only applies to licensed retail stores like his and not to other liquor businesses.

"We are definitely being singled out," he said.

Downtown liquor store managers said they received notices from the province in writing and were visited by Vancouver police, as well.

About 150,000 people were out on downtown streets Friday night following Jon Montgomery's win in the men's skeleton event, police have said.

Many of the revellers were drunk, and some of them continued to openly drink liquor outdoors – a ticketable offence that carries a $230 fine.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Last edited by Cateyes on Feb 20th, 2010, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Cateyes wrote:
whatisupcastanet wrote:
Cateyes wrote:6 billion + buys one heck of a 2 week party. Make no mistake, the hangover is coming. Increased HST and/or property taxes. Increased provincial income tax. It's coming.....You hear it.....I sure do.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Olym ... story.html

So the circled white were going to be done with or without the Olympics. So red are the ones Olympic costs according to pie chart. So thank-you
Last edited by GordonH on Feb 20th, 2010, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Well thank goodness Mr. Campbell showed resolve in closing things down.
Experience isn't a bad thing.
A good host knows when enough, is enough.

I still celebrate! YOOAHOO!

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”