Did VanOC do a good job with Vancouver 2010?

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.

Good job overall?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 33

rookie314
Übergod

Re: Did VanOC do a good job with Vancouver 2010?

Post by rookie314 »

Yes!!!! Two thumbs way up.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Oh, and Olympia pizza wasn't forced to change the name, it's still there under the old name.

Just FYI, I'm not trying to defend VanOC.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Fritzthecat wrote:Well, with all the money that was given to them, the lack of restrictions on how to spend it, lack of accountalbility, and the fact that they just kept coming back for morewith their cap in hand, they bloody well better have put on a good show. Gonna take 30 years to pay for it......

So...was that yes or no?

It is a NO. The ends do NOT justify the means.
People who think these games were a "success" are fools.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... /20080925/

They tried to make one change their name, and they tried to make another change it's sign. They were bullies for the most part. A few weeks ago, almost everyone would have agreed with me.

They tried to make Olympic Pizza change it's name and Olympia Pizza take down it's sign just as an example.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

*stop making it personal, you gave your view, he gave his, try reposting without the personal attacks/Jo*
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

You are combining two things that are almost unrelated.

The Olympics were great, the games entertaining and the ceremonies I mostly liked.
VanOC, as an organization was a bully. It was their conduct PRIOR TO the games that I disagree with. The games themselves were a resounding success.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Let's not turn this thread into a *bleep* match. It's too late to argue whether or not hosting Olympics is a good idea. I was basically asking if they were organized in proper way.

I've heard some complains about transportation (no one allowed to drive to Whistler, had to take a bus). But traffic in Vancouver was just beautiful, and public transit was a breeze. Lots and lots of volunteers everywhere who were really helpful. Policing was great. I do have some complaints about broadcasters, they could have done a better job with that.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Fritzthecat wrote:People who think these games were a "success" are fools.

I guess per your comment then these guys are fools. I am proud to be judged a fool along with them.

Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Captain Awesome wrote:Let's not turn this thread into a *bleep* match. It's too late to argue whether or not hosting Olympics is a good idea. I was basically asking if they were organized in proper way.

It seems no matter what you do, people will try and turn a topic about the Olympics into a *bleep* match, such is life. At any rate, it's tough for people who weren't actually in Vancouver to judge how Vanoc was doing. I was there, and I think they did an amazing job, the events were organized well, there were volunteers EVERYWHERE to help people and they were all super polite, organized and helpful. Even going through security at the hockey games wasn't a total nightmare, as the security people were helpful and not on power trips like the goofballs who work for CATSA at the airports. There were cops at every intersection waving people along, but they were smiling and helpful too - despite the sheer numbers and amounts of security people, they weren't intrusive on the experience in any way. Jacque Rogge said it best in the closing ceremony - VANOC - you have done it - you have won!!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

FunkyBunch wrote:They tried to make Olympic Pizza change it's name and Olympia Pizza take down it's sign just as an example.

Was it their name they were in contention with, or their use of the Olympic rings and torch on their sign?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

-fluffy- wrote:
FunkyBunch wrote:They tried to make Olympic Pizza change it's name and Olympia Pizza take down it's sign just as an example.

Was it their name they were in contention with, or their use of the Olympic rings and torch on their sign?

It was both.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

It was the name for Olympic Pizza and the sign for the other one. Both had been using the sign/name long before Vanoc was in existence. Those are just 2 examples, there were many other stories in the news over the last few years.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

YES.And a big round of applause to all the volunteers. :134:
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

MAPearce wrote:YES.And a big round of applause to all the volunteers. :134:

The paid "volunteers"? :127:

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”