Moments that made you proud of Canada

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Moments that made you proud of Canada

Post by westsidebud »

i think the 2 moments that realy made me proud out of lots were the end of the womans gold medal game and the 19000 plus canadians chanted usa, because canadians are humble.

and the other was joannie rochette(sp) skating her short program . was hard to not get watery eyes during that, what insperation to our young pll that must have been . way to go canada . we opened our doors to the world an put on a world class show.

congrats to all the medal winners and alll who particapated and all the unsung heros who helped in anyway, bravo canada bravo
Attachments
rochettejpg-f2e8346aeae27c3a_large.jpg
GO CANUCKS GO
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: moments that made you proud of canada

Post by Catz »

I have always been proud, and now...WOW.
I am Canadian :sunshine:
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

well im sure all of us have always been proud, but i dnt believe there is any other country thats as humble as canada when we win anything . and joannie is my new hero, what a amazing person
GO CANUCKS GO
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I agree :hailjo:
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

westsidebud wrote:well im sure all of us have always been proud, but i dnt believe there is any other country thats as humble as canada when we win anything . and joannie is my new hero, what a amazing person

this is definitely a night Canada is coming together WSB - that's the second post you've made tonight that I totally agree with. Joannie is the bravest person on the planet. No one was really sure how these Olympics were going to go there during the first few days, what with all the issues that happened, and all the nay-sayers trying to bring everyone down, but once Joannie skated and skated her heart out, it was never in doubt - these were going to be one of the best Winter Olympic games ever...and I mean...ever.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Neil Young!!!! :sunshine: :sunshine:
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

Puffy wrote:Neil Young!!!! :sunshine: :sunshine:

one of my favs weeeeeeeeeeeee
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

micheal j fox another great canadian bravo micheal
GO CANUCKS GO
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

How can you pick a moment , there so many :sunshine:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

westsidebud wrote:micheal j fox another great canadian bravo micheal

You are so right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Neil Young by himself was worth every penny of that 9 or 10 billion dollars. What the hell, nobodys counting anyway. Yay Neil!

Another huge fan.

Can you tell?
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

motorhomebabe wrote:How can you pick a moment , there so many :sunshine:

Yes, so true.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Liberty and Truth

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=54797.html

according to this author, the turning point of the Olympics was the stupid articles written by the British fools calling this the "worst Olympics ever" - they ignited a pride in all of us (well, most of us anyway that weren't cheering for these Olympics to fail) that made people take to the streets and say gosh darn it, we're awesome, and we're tired of apologizing to everyone who is jealous of that, and apologizing for how much we love our country to those who don't understand why we do. I still say Joannie was the turning point, but also to be saluted - Canadians everywhere who came together and got behind these Olympics and showed what Canadian spirit is all about - way to go!!!!

These Games were everything a human can feel

VANCOUVER - Touched by death before they even began, cursed by bad luck and worse weather, victim of cheap shots from the British press, these Games rose like the mythical phoenix from their own ashes.

God knows what precisely the turning point was - VANOC boss John Furlong actually suspects it was the hyperbole from the Brits, widely reported here, which he believes Canadians recognized as unfair and more to the point, untrue - but suddenly in the streets of this city every night were a hundred thousand people literally wrapped in their flag.

Communion, celebration and sudden (and often sodden, too) shocking love of country: It was absolutely astonishing to behold.

"The fact that they took to the streets the way they did, and embraced the world, to me put the Games in a different place," Mr. Furlong said in a recent interview. "There's nothing we could have done that came close to what they did. Not a thing.

"They became, it's a heroic thing, it's still happening ... like I'm trying to understand what's really going on ... I think what's happened is the country, they're not watching this, they're living it with us, like it's theirs."

Mr. Furlong tried one night last week to walk through downtown, just to breathe in a little of the magic dust, but had to cut it short; he couldn't make any progress, so many people were asking him to pose for pictures. And he, remember, is the institutional face of the Games, purportedly anticipated with such diffidence, if not disdain, by many British Columbians.

Plainly human, Mr. Furlong is so shy that when he was interviewed between periods at the hockey game yesterday he kept his face turned from the camera. When I interviewed him days ago, he spoke so softly I made him hold the tape recorder - to virtually no avail, since he kept it as far from his mouth as he could. This is a good, decent, honourable man and he set the tone for all those bright, intelligent volunteers and even, because of how he handled Nodar Kumaritashvili's death, the Games.

No one ever knows what to do in the face of death. Joannie Rochette, who lost her mother, didn't know. U.S. general manager Brian Burke, who buried his son before he came here, didn't know. Mr. Furlong didn't know either, so he did what we all do - he mentioned the young man kindly in his remarks, as did IOC president Jacques Rogge.

He told Mr. Rogge, "Whatever happens, the Canadian public is going to speak out tonight. It's going to happen no matter what. I think the country reacted the way I thought they would, I just thought they were grief-stricken by the whole thing, and of course, no one is really sure quite what to do."

It is his faith in Canadians I love, because it was warranted, because it was justified.

What is consistently so captivating about the Olympics is that what was on display yesterday on the ice - and everywhere else on the fields of play for the past 17 days - are all the important human emotions, naked as the day they were first felt. Exquisite victory, agonizing defeat, disappointment, regret, grief, shame, sorrow, and love, everything a human being can feel, is right there in front of you on your television set. Who cannot respond? It is irresistible.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

exactly l n t . and i think that alot of what the commentaers said during the games made it just al that much better, its a defining moment in our history now. now lets dream a little more and rally behind our vancouver canucks and try and help them bring the cup home to us. o my what a year 2010 would be if that happened . i just had get one more picture of joanie in
Attachments
joannie.jpg
GO CANUCKS GO
Liberty and Truth

Westside - if the Canucks make it to the second round I'll meet you at a bar on the westside to watch a game and we'll toast Joannie together. :)

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”