Vets and Payment Plans for Injured or Sickly Dogs

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
ImRight
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Vets and Payment Plans for Injured or Sickly Dogs

Post by ImRight »

As far as given it a lead pill I agree that is the least expensive option, but I don't think I'd be able to do that to mine, though if a friend would do it for me I could live with that.
If life gives you lemons - Make lemonade.
fabulous50

Post by fabulous50 »

We are humans and we have hearts. Either way you feel a loss for an animal you love. I for one have shed a bucket of tears over the deaths of our animals - horses, dogs, cats....To see their eyes as you say goodbye is heart rendering.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

ya but just like in ole yeller you just pick up where you left off and get a new one. its just a dog or pet...no big deal.
doc2013
Fledgling

Post by doc2013 »

You get a new one because there are soooo many abandoned dogs out there and irresponsible owners that think spaying and neutering are not important. Or they think an animal is disposable.....
fabulous50

Post by fabulous50 »

All of ours were spayed or neutered immediately. The last dog we got was a rescue dog and she was pregnant. We didn't know it. Took her in to get her spayed and the vet called to say she was pregnant. Found homes for all 4 pups and all were spayed including mama. Turned out to be a terrific dog, loving and she was two days away from being euthanized as the shelter was overflowing. Hasn't taken the sting out of losing the other dog, but she has filled a hole in this household and the other dog loves her to bits. They sleep and play together.
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

I put small animal veterinarians’ in the same category as lawyers
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

lol so true!!! make money where they shouldnt have to or be able to.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I've spend thousands on my one dog. Why, because I love her and that is what responsible pet owners do. However insurance would not have covered my dogs needs and I would have been out of pocket either way. Pet Insurance has some serious fine print. they'll happily take your money each month, but time to pay up? Good luck. just sayin.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

We looked int pet insurance .Big ripoff as far as I am concerned.You got that right the fine print covers just about everything important.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

motorhomebabe wrote:We looked int pet insurance .Big ripoff as far as I am concerned.You got that right the fine print covers just about everything important.

Yep! I stay away...far away.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
ImRight
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ImRight »

shrory wrote:I put small animal veterinarians’ in the same category as lawyers

I don't. They are highly skilled highly trained and have a huge overhead.
If life gives you lemons - Make lemonade.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

motorhomebabe wrote:We looked int pet insurance .Big ripoff as far as I am concerned.You got that right the fine print covers just about everything important.

My cousin in law who spent 3000 on a 16000 surgery to replace both of her 1.5 year old American Bulldog's hips would disagree with you.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Imagination
Board Meister

Post by Imagination »

ImRight wrote:lots of good points here.

A vet is a business. They went thru many years of schooling. They have a huge overhead. If you can't come up with the money why should they do "their trade" for free? They are not a bank. Do you go to the store and ask them if you can take $400 worth of groceries home and you promise that you'll pay them back when you can?....

Oh but they are not just a business really. In essence they are supposed to be caregivers and looking after the welfare of animals which puts a different code of ethics onto those of being just a business. Those who are in it for the bucks, like many medical professions are not to be encouraged at all IMO. They are the ones selling drugs and shots that are not only unnecessary but keep them in business treating the resulting illnesses. They are the ones with shiny well decorated offices where there never seem to be a lot of people with animals in the waiting room. They are the ones who should be out doing something else for a living because they are supposed to be there as caregivers first.

Yes, they have to pay their bills but you know as they have raised their prices, learned to apply guilt and manipulation to get us to open our wallets, and have put aside what is best for the animal, they have lost business. So they raise their prices more, apply even more guilt, and wonder why the are struggling. Those who are known for their hearts as well as their knowledge have a loyal group of clients, full waiting rooms, and flex as needed when an animal is in need. They may work more, but they are making great livings and animals are being cared for.

How many people now have to hesitate when there is an emergency or problem just because they know walking in the door is going to cost them $100+? How many are being gouged on medicine and treatments which are marked up so high they become extreme considering they can be had at a normal pharmacy for a reasonable price? How many are simply selling product and too bad if the dog or cat doesn't need it?

Do you know at a recent convention of vets they actually had a seminar telling them that each client was worth $$$$ and gave them the tips on how to ensure they got that money out of each and every one of them? The truly good vets don't buy into that game and we have to do our best to support them and encourage those only interested in income to find other work.

I know they are out there... the vets who are all about the animals. They usually make a great living and are the bane of the other vets who do what they can to bad mouth them in an effort to convince people they need to pay more. Unfortunately, they are sometimes hard to find but when you do you can see why they can make a living while keeping their principals intact.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

When we had our fur babies, the vet we went to also wouldn't do anything without payment. Our youngest was poisoned when he was 6 months old and we finally told them to stop at $1,000.00, we just couldn't pay out any more. Luckily he survived and was fine after that.............we had a very difficult time coming up with that money but did. I agree that there should be a payment plan offered if someone is having a hard time........things happen, people get hurt at work, income isn't what it was when you got the pet , someone finds out they have cancer, have to leave their job................all kinds of things that are totally unforseen.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

People should learn to put a little $ aside every paycheck for emergencies if they don't have the credit etc.

Payment plans sound great until the person stops paying for whatever reason and the "lender" (in this case the vet) is on the hook for the remaining balance...

Return to “The Pet Lounge”