Antler Chews?

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Antler Chews?

Post by Fancy »

I don't let the antler chews in the house - outside only.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
uni_gal

Post by uni_gal »

Where do you get the cows ears that were mentioned?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

LeadingEdgeGlass wrote:I can't stand the smell of those pigs/cow ears... YUK

They're not supposed to be still on the cow/pig. Their ears are awful!
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

uni_gal wrote:Where do you get the cows ears that were mentioned?

Ummmm. on cows? You have to be really quiet and then really quick and then really quicker.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Sunshine Pets ... individual or bags of 20-25 last time I was there.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Fancy wrote:I don't let the antler chews in the house - outside only.

Us too. My Dad gave us a BIG set he found in the bush. Hubby just saws of a chunk for the dog. they last for almost forever.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

My 60 lb Labradoodle has a chipped tooth. Not saying it was from the antlers but we don't give them to her anymore, just incase. The chipped tooth was in the back so we never noticed it until the vet pointed it out. She is a heavy chewer, the way she gnaws on the antlers it's not a surprise.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

As safe as people think rawhide or pigs ears are the fact is they aren't. There is no other dog treat I've ever heard of with more cases of salmonella poisoning. On top of salmonella, rawhide does not digest properly in a dogs stomach and can cause blockages and in some cases death.

There are so many better treats for dogs, why give them garbage? Why feed your dog a pig ear that likely comes from overseas where safety standards are far too low? Even north american suppliers have salmonella problems with pig ears and rawhide. If you love your dog, stop feeding them this crap.

Bully sticks (bull penis) is much safer, raw bones are probably the best treat they could have. Deer antler is pretty decent also although I've seen dogs ignore it after a short time. Nothing beats the taste of raw marrow....and raw bones don't splinter. Just make sure it's an appropriate size for your dog.

When your dog chews on a raw recreational bone, especially a meaty one with cartilage and soft tissue still attached, his teeth get the equivalent of a good brushing and flossing. This helps to break down tartar and reduces the risk of gum disease.

Dogs in the wild have beautiful teeth and healthy gums. It's humans that feed them garbage that promotes gum disease and yellow teeth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I give my dogs the big beef soup bones. They love them. Once they get the marrow out I fill it with peanut butter.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

The marrow can give some dogs the runs, so best to start out with only a few minutes at a time. My dogs aren't aggressive chewers but they've split an old soup bone after it had dried out in the yard. They seem to prefer gnawing on antlers.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”