How much money would you spend on your pet!?

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
gth85

How much money would you spend on your pet!?

Post by gth85 »

For all those loving pet owners, when do you say enough! We all love our pets, do we put a price on that love? Is more test and medication maybe making matters worse!
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: How much money would you spend on your pet!?

Post by xjeepguy »

gth85 wrote:For all those loving pet owners, when do you say enough! We all love our pets, do we put a price on that love? Is more test and medication maybe making matters worse!

Depends on whats wrong . If it's terminal cancer then you might have to sit down and have a heart to heart with the family , if its diabetes or a broken leg well those things are still costly but worth the price IMO .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Has your vet known you and your pet, do you trust your vet? If it is a new vet to you and pet, get second opinion.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Depends too on the age of the dog. A $2k surgery (or more) on an older dog might not be reasonable. Among my friends with dogs, I'm in the minority because I have already made the decision to not spend thousands of dollars on surgeries, etc for my dogs. I would be heartbroken to put my dog down instead of do treatment, but I don't have thousands of dollars to spend. I give my dogs a really good life, better than they'd have had without me, and that will have to be enough.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

There is also the animal to consider. Pets don't benefit from being kept alive year after year through operations and etc. just because the owner can't bear to part with them. We already do that to humans, to our discredit, but do we have to make animals suffer as well? The whole 'life at all costs' is ridiculous, and harmful to both humans and animals.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

It all comes down to quality of life when we consider treatments. We have spent lots on meds which allowed our older dog to remain comfortable and active, but have turned down surgeries which would have prolonged a life which would have been a lesser quality. You have to ask yourself if you are doing it for you, because you do not want to say goodbye, or for your pet. Fortunately, we have a vet who thinks the same way we do.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

That is a key thing, getting a vet who thinks along the same line.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”