Investing for Financial Freedom

The Riposte & Parry is a private forum for serious discussions.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Re: Investing for Financial Freedom

Post by Homeownertoo »

I guess that depends on what worked for them in the past. For me, things haven't changed since 2008. And I haven't suffered as a result. I've more than beaten inflation even though the TSX is still well off its June 2008 peak. And I follow what, for me, is a fairly conservative style. Maybe 'they' were flying a little too high then as well.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Keeping it together for the next two years, and particularly the next year, is going to be a serious challenge for far too many folk I think. And for those who were unable to do so over the past 5 years that pain is going to be extra severe IMO.

Nab
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Why do you think the next year is going to be especially tough on many Canadians? Interest rates are going nowhere, and that's the key.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

I think the consumer is key now moreso than low interest rates, which IMO have outlived their usefulness and are now becoming too harmful in the longer term view.

Nab
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Nabs,

This is not an educational video about investing. This is a professionally made ad for investing newsletter/advising services designed to scare you into signing up. While inflation is a concern for just about anybody, claiming they can save you from it by signing up for their advice that is only available to rich people and you for some reason (5 easy payments of 89.99! Don't wait, call now!) destroys all credibility - personally I shut it off after 2 minutes.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

LOL, I never gave an opinion about what it was, I simply said it was interesting. But you cannot get much out of it to form an opinion on anyway if the attention span is limited to 2 minutes ;-)

Nab
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

NAB wrote:I think the consumer is key now moreso than low interest rates, which IMO have outlived their usefulness and are now becoming too harmful in the longer term view.

Nab

I agree that for the longer term they probably are too low, but the fact they remain low is a measure of the continuing crisis we are in. I see people still spending, jobs are relatively plentiful; I don't see any dramatic shifts there in the next year or two, at least until interest rates climb. Which is why I see them as key.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

I've seen lots of videos like that (or read articles like it) over the years. Nothing new there. Just another example of scare-mongering to sell you something. And I'm not buying, thank you very much.

Since I initiated this forum, I think I am permitted to state that I consider such 'advice' detrimental to the kinds of sound investment approaches that I like to see discussed in this forum. Let's talk about what we can do secure our financial futures, not put them in the hands of salesmen who claim to have access to secret knowledge about what's going on in the world.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

So...uhmmm....

Has anybody checked out Smith Maneuver strategy by now? I know Glacier raised this question some time ago.

The idea of making your mortgage payments (interest portion of it to be precise) sounds like a great idea to me - while growing a stock portfolio at the same time.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

I discussed it earlier. Try it at your own risk.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Homeowner,

I am currently putting some $$$ (not nearly maxxing out, but plan to be once debts are paid off) into TFSA & RRSP Mutual Funds through TD, picking the TD Dividend Growth ( https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/Download/TDB972E.pdf ) which has averaged return of 7.7%. I am 27, and plan to use this TFSA and RRSP as retirement only, saving for ~40 years.

Before we go any further, I can tell you are not a fan of mutual funds, but I do believe they're better than nothing!

Moving forward, I have been listening to a few financial podcasts, and have been hearing very good things about long-term investing in the S&P500.

Do you have any opinions or information on the S&P500?

I am a complete newb to investing, and until now I thought mutual funds were pretty much the only thing....

Thanks!!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Homeownertoo wrote:Why do you think the next year is going to be especially tough on many Canadians? Interest rates are going nowhere, and that's the key.

Central Banks will keep rates low, but at the end of the day, the market sets lending rates. There is a risk the market will no longer accept zero rates and begin to sell off government debt(U.S. namely). This will drive rates up in the process. I believe this is a legitimate risk in today's economy.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Should I sell Pepsico? It's at 52-week high. P/E getting into 20 zone.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Captain Awesome wrote:Should I sell Pepsico? It's at 52-week high. P/E getting into 20 zone.

What did you pay for it?

Return to “Riposte & Parry”