First time home buyers

The Riposte & Parry is a private forum for serious discussions.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: First time home buyers

Post by fvkasm2x »

Captain Awesome wrote:
PS: DON'T go with RE agent recommended inspector to avoid conflict of interest. Get someone else, hopefully a real shark. RE agents will never recommend somebody very anal as it can stop a deal from closing. They all swap recommendations and don't want to step on each others toes to guarantee future business.

Sounds logical
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

fvkasm2x wrote:Sounds logical

Yes, but most people will go with whoever RE agent will recommend thinking they're all the same - especially if they are new to the area like yourself and can't get a good recommendation or too lazy to pickup a phone book and call around. Good inspector works AGAINST agent's interest (unlike a lawyer or mortgage brokers - they help RE agents close the deal smoothly). When I told my agent who I'll be using for inspection he literally rolled his eyes and mentioned that my inspector is somewhat famous for ruining deals by finding flaws with passable homes. But everything went well, and no big flaws was found.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Captain Awesome wrote: When I told my agent who I'll be using for inspection he literally rolled his eyes and mentioned that my inspector is somewhat famous for ruining deals by finding flaws with passable homes. But everything went well, and no big flaws was found.

do tell, who is the inspector you used...share the wealth of knowledge....or at least IM me.. cuz i am skeptical of most if not all home inspectors who just tick off from a checklist without actually doing any inspecting.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Logitack wrote:do tell, who is the inspector you used...share the wealth of knowledge....or at least IM me.. cuz i am skeptical of most if not all home inspectors who just tick off from a checklist without actually doing any inspecting.

Yes, I am worried about some guy just walking through casually for an easy pay day. I want the place really inspected, not given a cursory glance.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I've never purchased a house before (though I "bought" several empty city lots today for 5% of market value in tax sale), but I've been told by many, many people who have that a good quality home inspector is worth his weight in gold.

A friend of mine threw a low-ball offer on a foreclosure last week. His offer was accepted, but he backed out after the home inspection revealed some shoddy construction in the rafters. I've had other friends who weren't so lucky tell me horror stories about shoddy inspectors who didn't bother to inspect the scrawl space, which turned out to be moldy and rotten.

Interesting Market Place episode on home inspectors with Mike Holmes.
Last edited by Glacier on Oct 8th, 2012, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

One thing to be very wary of is homes on the Easthill in Vernon, as it is mainly clay and prone to shifting. Unless it's a brand new home, if you don't see cracks it's probably been covered up.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Glacier wrote: but I've been told by many, many people who have that a good quality home inspector is worth his weight in gold.

so where are these "good quality" home inspectors. why are posters not naming these inspectors? it isnt against the rules to give good reviews in the forums, is it? it seems to me the more information shared by everyone the better off the OP and others in the market for home inspections will be, right?
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Sorry, it's been too long since I used one so can't remember his name.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Home inspection does not guarantee you won't run into some trouble with the home once you own it. Most of what they see you can too. Before you buy, take some time to learn about how a house is built. You should always plan and be there when the inspection is done. This is when you ask questions and learn. If you see something that concerns you ask them to explain. Ask him to check the attic first. If he doesn't climb right in and take a look around with a good light so you can actually see what's up there, I'd end the inspection right then and there.

I used the inspector that the agent suggested on a place quite few years back.I have some knowledge about homes as I've owned a few over the years. Some of the problems were quite visible but he did find something that I wasn't comfortable with. We could see a potential problem but there was no way of knowing for sure without getting in the wall to check The inspector advised us to walk away from the deal. The agent flipped out as she had the sold sign in her hand when she showed up to close the deal. It was quite funny the way she acted. Next day the inspector called us to tell us she was demanding to see the inspection report. Since it was me that paid to have it done I told him not to give it to her unless she paid me for it.

Remember, an inspection won't get you off the hook to purchase for minor problems. If you can see the windows need replacing don't think you can walk away from the deal just because the inspector puts in his report that the windows need replacing. You knew that when you put in the offer to purchase. Just make sure you want to buy that house before you sign on the dotted line. As I said before, knowledge is the key here. In a market that I believe is in serious trouble, I wouldn't be in any hurry to buy.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.

Return to “Riposte & Parry”