Presidential debate

The Riposte & Parry is a private forum for serious discussions.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Presidential debate

Post by Homeownertoo »

It was with some relief for this conservative observer of the upcoming US election that Mitt Romney cleaned Obama's clock in tonite's debate. No, he didn't score a knockout blow. That was not in the cards. But to this observer, it was Romney who came across as poised and presidential, in command of his facts and his rhetoric, who scored the strong points and was seldom if at all on his heels. Obama, by contrast, looked uncomfortable, especially through the opening thrusts and parries, speaking in platitudes far too often, and looking at best vice-presidential. I think it was an eye-opener for many observers across America; even the very liberal, but still professional, Mark Shields had to admit it was not a good nite for the president. Still, I'll be keen to see how Obama's lapdogs in the US media will play this.

On to you now ...
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Presidential debate

Post by Urbane »

No question that Romney won the debate hands down. As even James Carville said on CNN it looked like Romney wanted to be there and Obama didn't. I do remember Kerry besting Bush in each debate that they had, however, so the jury is still out on whether or not tonight's debate and the final two presidential debates will really make a difference. In a close election, as this one appears to be, the debates could be crucial. Anyway, Romney definitely had a very good night.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

IMO neither will have any positive effects on the US economy Republicans & Democrats have evenly screwed that up over last 5 Presidents especially.
(neither knows how to budget within their means)
**Before Reagan took office the debt was 930 Billion:

When Reagan left office it was 2.697 trillion
when GHB left office it was 4.167 trillion
when Bill left office it was 5.636 trillion
when GWB left office it was 11.315 trillion
Obama today 16.171 trillion**

What has my concern is turning back the clock 40 years on women's rights.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Even though presidential debates are nothing but a clown show, it was painfully obvious that Obama looked very weak.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I got the feeling that Obama was holding back on purpose and this was strategy. You could see his jaw tensing and he would start to talk and then stop himself. Romney had said earlier in the campaign that he would be rebranding the campaign for the general election (where the Etch-a-Sketch comments started) and I think he was wanting to see which direction he would go in the debate. I suspect we will see a different style in the next one.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

jennylives wrote:I got the feeling that Obama was holding back on purpose and this was strategy. You could see his jaw tensing and he would start to talk and then stop himself. Romney had said earlier in the campaign that he would be rebranding the campaign for the general election (where the Etch-a-Sketch comments started) and I think he was wanting to see which direction he would go in the debate. I suspect we will see a different style in the next one.
I tend to think that you're right about Obama holding back on purpose but if so it was a terrible decision and perhaps a decision that will sink his reelection chances. Romney had the energy and he looked presidential. Obama looked tired, detached, somewhat hesitant, and rather robotic. If he had had a strong debate he could have pretty well put Romney away but now we have a real horse race. And I wouldn't be putting a lot of money on Obama at this point.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: ..., it was painfully obvious that Obama looked very weak.

Yes, disappointing. Still, it seems Romney still has some ground to cover:

Electoral Outlook2012
Based on HuffPost Pollster charts and analysis

Romney: 191 Electoral Votes

Obama: 303 Electoral Votes

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/0 ... 37173.html

"When he was asked what he'd actually do to cut the deficit and reduce spending, he said he'd eliminate funding for public television. That was his answer. I mean thank goodness somebody is finally getting tough on Big Bird. It's about time,"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/0 ... 39852.html

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/ ... 5#49286675
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I have not watched the debate, but if it's anything like ones in past years, the people watching will often pick a winner, but then change their mind the next week once the Media Party tells them who actually won.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

jennylives wrote:I got the feeling that Obama was holding back on purpose and this was strategy.

I was talking to somebody about it, and apparently if it was his strategy, it's a losing strategy. The first round of debates are the most watched, and after the first round the viewership drops off sharply. Which means it's all about the very first expression and he blew it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*please review the rules for the forum you are posting in
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:
jennylives wrote:I got the feeling that Obama was holding back on purpose and this was strategy.

I was talking to somebody about it, and apparently if it was his strategy, it's a losing strategy. The first round of debates are the most watched, and after the first round the viewership drops off sharply. Which means it's all about the very first expression and he blew it.

Yes, from what I’ve been watching from the American news analysis (CNN, etc.), many pundits believe Obama could have (based on his televised post-debate statements) and should have called Romney on his flip-flops, inconsistencies and misdirection. Definitely a lost opportunity to put this race away. It will be interesting to see what happens now.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

jennylives wrote:I got the feeling that Obama was holding back on purpose and this was strategy. You could see his jaw tensing and he would start to talk and then stop himself. Romney had said earlier in the campaign that he would be rebranding the campaign for the general election (where the Etch-a-Sketch comments started) and I think he was wanting to see which direction he would go in the debate. I suspect we will see a different style in the next one.

It's understandable you might see it that way. Realistically, however, I strongly suspect what we saw was not Obama holding back but his weak grasp of the issues. He responded to Romney's obvious grasp of them and willingness to deal in details with platitudes and generalizations.

Though I dread the prospect of him being re-elected, I winced as he embarrassed himself, right from the start (after the bit about his anniversary). My wife, who is not very political, was stunned at the contrast the two men presented in their opening statements, both how 'presidential' Romney looked and sounded, and how lame Obama was.

I was not surprised as I never thought of him as having much of a grasp of anything except a teleprompter, despite his reputation as a policy wonk. It's not there in his background as a senator and it's not there in his presidency (though any suggestion that he was a mere 'community organizer' prior to that is well off the mark). It showed in the debate. It also showed, as some had predicted, that the great orator Obama was lost when confronted with a live debater rather than a microphone, and spent far too much of his time scrambling to come up with plausible responses.

It has been said that Reagan was the 'great communicator', to which he responded that he was not but that he communicated great ideas. That really is the difference between these two who have been similarly branded. At only one point did Obama project, with little success, any sense of communicating any great ideas, and that was when he discussed the role of government as creating a framework for the social and economic achievements of people. I know what he was trying to get at. But lordy lordy, given the years he must have spent pondering the idea and the weeks spent preparing for this debate, why was the great orator unable to put it into words with any semblance of elegance and simplicity.

Now the Dems face the uncertain joys of watching Biden go up against Paul Ryan, which will be a fascinating display of contrasting styles, either of which could win out though the smart money's on the latter. After that, we'll see if it was just an off night for the Obamessiah or if he truly is the hollow man.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

An American friend commented that it was further confirmation that Obama is a "puppet president", not able to think/respond on his own.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

His performance as a senator lends weight to that assessment.

Return to “Riposte & Parry”