Interest rates

The Riposte & Parry is a private forum for serious discussions.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Interest rates

Post by Captain Awesome »

What are short term predictions for mortgage rates?

We have 1 year left on our current mortgage and will have to refinance next May. At the same time the interest rates right now look very appealing - we currently pay 3.89 and I can find 2.89 with the same terms. Should I wait till mortgage is up or should refinance now? Refinancing right now would trigger some sort of penalty, I'm sure.

Variable rate is even more attractive at 2.30% but I don't know how I feel about variable.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Interest rates

Post by kgcayenne »

Mine us up for renewal, and the current offer is 2.59% 5yr.

Shop around, the offers will get better.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I remember having a real deal at 18%. Almost wish I needed a mortgage.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Smurf wrote:I remember having a real deal at 18%.

I can't imagine paying anywhere this much. We'd go broke, probably.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Smurf wrote:I remember having a real deal at 18%. Almost wish I needed a mortgage.

I remember those days.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

If we ever see rates rise like that again or even close to it I believe a lot of people will join you CA. If I remember right rates did go above 20% but don't quote me. If you just paid regular payments there wasn't much going to your balance.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Smurf wrote:I remember having a real deal at 18%.

Captain Awesome wrote:I can't imagine paying anywhere this much. We'd go broke, probably.

Many did actually, or a very least had to give up their homes or businesses (or both). But it had the positive impact of teaching people to lower their expectations, spending, and attitudes toward exposing themselves to excessive debt.

But the lessons learned didn't rub off on so many in the next generation that they are now poised to experience even worse.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Sadly, those who did not learn the lessons surrounding the cycle of interest rates, debt and inflation (or chose to ignore them) have not only screwed themselves long term, but in the process screwed those who learned them well (thanks to the Economics challenged Trudeau Senior) and adjusted accordingly.

Many of them now even rant about how great Paul Martin was as Minister of Finance because of his "cuts" during the 90's (he of course was a total flop as PM later), while at the same time failing to acknowledge that it was his party (under Trudeau) that launched Canada (as well as its provinces) into an irreversible river of mounting debt in the first place.

Long term pain in exchange for short term gain is more entrenched now than it ever was.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:What are short term predictions for mortgage rates?

We have 1 year left on our current mortgage and will have to refinance next May. At the same time the interest rates right now look very appealing - we currently pay 3.89 and I can find 2.89 with the same terms. Should I wait till mortgage is up or should refinance now? Refinancing right now would trigger some sort of penalty, I'm sure.

Variable rate is even more attractive at 2.30% but I don't know how I feel about variable.

My philosophy is that when every expert is in agreement about something, the opposite is most likely true. This situation is no different as no financial expert got saw this coming. Bank of Canada rate is now at 0.75%, which means my variable mortgage will be dropping down close to the 2% mark.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

As will mine and a few others I know.

Am I 'off' in thinking that they are hoping those who can will engage in greater consumerism? It's a grave mistake that our economy is so much more dependent on consumerism than it had been in the past.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Riposte & Parry”