Men's Fashion

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Men's Fashion

Post by fluffy »

A place for any questions and/or comments regarding the wide world of men's clothing and accessories...
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Men's Fashion

Post by fluffy »

I know it's a little early in the year for fall/winter clothing to hit the racks but if anyone has ever seen Barbour duffle coats offered locally please let me know. There are a number of online sources but I'd really like to try one on first.

http://www.countryattire.com/barbour-men-s-classic-duffle-coat-long-anthracite-mwo0004gy91-t956.html
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That is a stylish garment indeed.

I'm quite pleased to see more men sporting headwear, fedoras and the like.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

*bump*
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

(Thanks Jo.)

I lucked out on my duffle coat search. I spent some time in Toronto this Christmas past with some dear old friends I'd hadn't seen in over twenty years and did some exploring in that end of the world. I lucked into a high end men's wear store in the downtown area that was closing up after over a hundred years in business and everything in the store was on sale. Found a beautiful Austrian made wool/cashmere blend coat that normally would have taken a second mortgage for me to own. Now to find a suitable winter hat to go with that.

Lady tehMa wrote:I'm quite pleased to see more men sporting headwear, fedoras and the like.

I hear that, the same bug has been nibbling at me recently. I've got a hankering on for a wide-brim fedora, black or maybe dark gray. Something that would have shown up in an old gangster movie. I'm planning a run to the coast as soon as my income tax refund comes through and have a couple of hat shops on my itinerary, among other fashion related stops.

Now if I can just figure out how to claim Tommy Bahama as a dependent I'll be set.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Stollery's on Bloor?

In case someone is looking for Barbour fashions, here's a link for stores that carry the brand.
http://www.barbour.com/shoplocator
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote:...I hear that, the same bug has been nibbling at me recently. I've got a hankering on for a wide-brim fedora, black or maybe dark gray. Something that would have shown up in an old gangster movie. I'm planning a run to the coast as soon as my income tax refund comes through and have a couple of hat shops on my itinerary, among other fashion related stops.

Now if I can just figure out how to claim Tommy Bahama as a dependent I'll be set.

Have you tried the hat shop on Main in Penticton?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

oneh2obabe wrote:Stollery's on Bloor?

Yes. Apparently some rich developers offered them a retirement package they couldn't turn down.

In case someone is looking for Barbour fashions, here's a link for stores that carry the brand.
http://www.barbour.com/shoplocator

Nice stuff. They are really popular these days with some different lines of waxed cotton outerware. Pretty pricey but built to last. I've got a couple of places scoped out in Vancouver that carry their stuff to go and try on a couple, but I have to wait till I get back to work before five hundred dollar jackets start taking a serious place on my shopping list.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote:Have you tried the hat shop on Main in Penticton?

Didn't even know we had one. Do you recall the name ?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

oneh2obabe wrote:Stollery's on Bloor?

fluffy wrote:Yes. Apparently some rich developers offered them a retirement package they couldn't turn down.

That was part of it - the main reason was the increased competition from Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew. Sad to see them gone after 114 years.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

rustled wrote:Have you tried the hat shop on Main in Penticton?

fluffy wrote: Didn't even know we had one. Do you recall the name ?

Hat Hideaway, 400 block of Main (west side, I think). Sounds like they give good customer service and help you find what you need. A friend was able to order in a men's hat in the size she wanted.
http://www.hathideaway.org/
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

...and closed today darnit. Tomorrow for sure.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Thought it was an odd day to be closed, so I looked online and there's a link to their new site:
http://www.hathideaway.ca/ (sorry for posting the old one). They're at Cherry Lane today, setting up for an event.

Hope you find what you're looking for!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I made it into to the Hat Hideaway and was pleasantly surprised to see that they had a varied selection. Spoke with the the owner and she said they had been around for three years, not bad for a niche product in a relatively small town. They didn't have what I was looking for in my size but I'll be back for sure.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My son and his friends like to dress up for dances. Fluffy, what do you think?
Formal Night Dec 18 2014 002.JPG

April 17-25 2015 001.JPG

He dresses himself - chooses from shirts and such. The tie is his father's (he does NOT think much of his Dad's tie collection "too many cartoon characters - how very 90's") but the bow tie is his (I bought it for him at a second hand place). He was pleased to get references to looking like Dr. Who, not so pleased at being compared to Bill Nye.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”