The Canadian Federal Election of 2011

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

The Canadian Federal Election of 2011

Post by NAB »

Have at 'er LOL.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
daria
Guru

Re: The Canadian Federal Election of 2011

Post by daria »

This makes me really glad I don't have television! At least with the internet, I can avoid all the negative campaign ads that are sure to be spewing across the airwaves shortly. I'll just have to turn down the radio when I hear the telltale signs that an ad is about to be aired...
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Just remember, Blue Door or Red Door, Blue Door or Red Door, Blue Door or Red Door, Blu.....

There is no Orange or Green Door ;-)

Or, if one chooses no door at all, that's fine by me too.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Just remember everyone, the reason given by Ignatieff for this election is that "Parliament has lost confidence in this Government" (or words to that affect).

To me, that is patently untrue. Approximately 154 members out of a total of 300 members voting on the motion claim they have lost confidence in the government on instructions from their leaders. Now we find out if the majority of the people those 154 represent agree with them.

Nab
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

With any luck each individual riding can some how make just how each opposition MP voted on this matter part of their re-election campaigns.
To me if/when after the election nothing really changes as far as the balance of power then it is clear the Liberals, NDP and Bloc (especially their leaders) are not in touch with reality or the wishes of their constituents aka the public in general. They will have needlessly wasted everyone's time and millions of taxpayer dollars and should in some way held accountable for the waste (LOL like any person in government will ever be accountable for what they do or have done).
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

actually the the harper government lost the confidence of parliament because " a majority of MPs voted that they believed the government was in contempt of Parliament."

The motion says the House agrees with a Commons committee report tabled earlier this week that found the government in contempt of Parliament, "which is unprecedented in Canadian parliamentary history, and consequently the House has lost confidence in the Government."

harper government breaking rules and thinking they are above the law is the real reason they lost the confidence of parliament.

lets hope the next MINORITY government is more transparent. (well, i can hope it will be a minority, I think it will be a majority government)
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Part of what I posted in another thread is a very real issue in this campaign..

This whole thing in my view has been a cooked up situation by the opposition from the very start (and probably long before that). What is interesting is that the media are right now pressing Ignatieff very hard to answer the question concerning what he will do should the Conservatives return with another minority government (or for that matter a minority government of his own). Will he or will he not try to form a coalition government with the NDP and the Bloc? He skates all around the question without giving a definitive answer, and that to me suggests he is trying to hide his intentions by simply saying he is hitting the trail with a view to forming a Liberal Government. It is very impotant IMO that he answer that question, and the media is not going to leave it alone until he does, and Canadians have a right to know the answer before they vote. In other words, if an election puts us back to where we currently are, will he accept that decision by the electorate and accept it, or will he try to do an end run via coalition once again?

Even when another question that should be even easier to answer was put to him he didn't give an answer. That question was simply was he of the view that the party with the most seats must form government, or whether a Governor General could ask a coalition to form a government. He walked away from the question claiming he had made his views clear and that was that. Still no answer to either question. This guy IMO is not to be trusted.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

cv23 wrote:With any luck each individual riding can some how make just how each opposition MP voted on this matter part of their re-election campaigns.
    To me if/when after the election nothing really changes as far as the balance of power then it is clear the Liberals, NDP and Bloc (especially their leaders) are not in touch with reality or the wishes of their constituents aka the public in general. They will have needlessly wasted everyone's time and millions of taxpayer dollars and should in some way held accountable for the waste (LOL like any person in government will ever be accountable for what they do or have done).
Yes. At the same time that the opposition leaders were condemning the budget and saying that Conservatives weren't listening to the Canadian people a poll was taken showing Conservative support up. Polls have consistently shown that people don't want an election either. Ironic. Who is it that's not listening?

Ignatieff talks about democracy and yet he himself was more or less appointed to his position during the messy coalition business a couple of years ago. He also talks about transparency but when asked about another coalition he talks about a blue door and a red door. Again, ironic.
bottleman
Fledgling

Post by bottleman »

Deleted By Trip
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Logitack wrote:actually the the harper government lost the confidence of parliament because " a majority of MPs voted that they believed the government was in contempt of Parliament."

The motion says the House agrees with a Commons committee report tabled earlier this week that found the government in contempt of Parliament, "which is unprecedented in Canadian parliamentary history, and consequently the House has lost confidence in the Government."

harper government breaking rules and thinking they are above the law is the real reason they lost the confidence of parliament.

lets hope the next MINORITY government is more transparent. (well, i can hope it will be a minority, I think it will be a majority government)

Ya LOL. I was quoting Iggy giving verbal lectures about "Democracy". Even he cannot get it right. Oh, and by the way, no one has proven the Harper Government "broke the rules thinking they are above the law". And a stacked in favour of the opposition committee doesn't cut it with me as to any kind of final word on the matter. But as I said before, it doesn't matter now that the dirty deed has been done.

Nab
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bunch of freaking fools. Great waste of taxpayer money. I sure won't be voting for the Libs or NDP.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
CJT84
Board Meister

Post by CJT84 »

grammafreddy wrote:Bunch of freaking fools. Great waste of taxpayer money. I sure won't be voting for the Libs or NDP.

so Canadian Action party for you then? lol
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

If I had but one wish for this election, it would be that the media (particularly the CBC) concentrate on COVERING the election and related news, and stop trying to interprete and create the news. Often I have a hard time figuring out which are really campaign issues and the various parties plans for them, and which are just attempts to spin them into something else of their own interpretation or even bias. These political "panels" for example turn into little more than regurgitation and speculation, but that speculation can often leave voters with a very wrong impression of the real facts.

I would like the media to concentrate on drawing out and articulating the various party leaders plans should they win an election (like they are trying to do with the coalition issue for example). Funny really that the opposition in the last parliament makes such a big issue about the government not being forthcoming with all the information they thought they needed, yet on the campaign trail don't feel obliged to be forthcoming to the electorate with the detailed information they need to make an informed decision. The media needs to do a far better job in that regard and quit with all the self generated filler and fluff.

That's my wish, although I don't hold out much hope for it.

Nab
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

grammafreddy wrote:Bunch of freaking fools. Great waste of taxpayer money. I sure won't be voting for the Libs or NDP.

The government is in contempt of Parliament. Just like lying in court - you get kicked out of the courtroom and/or fined.

So in terms of "bunch of freaking fools" - who exactly are you mad at? The government in minority power refuses to play by the rules, they got caught and now have to deal with their actions - people that don't follow the rules don't get rewarded - but your voting for them anyways and giving them the ultimate nod and pat on the back ;)

What would you say if the Cons let Paul Bernardo walk free? Get mad at the police for saying its a bad idea? Harper breaks the rules and thumbs his nose at it and a election is called and its the "other guys" fault.

Oh, since the Cons have been campaigning since January and have spent more money than any other party previously in Canadian history on attack ads in the last 9 weeks - its funny that "they don't want a election" and are blaming it entirely on the opposition - but the whole time they have been paying money out their bums on attack ads and were the only ones that could have prevented a election - because of that pesky minority government thing and "getting along with the rest of Canada".

What a pain democracy is eh? Why can we just make Harper king so he doesn't have to deal with all those pesky rules and elections?
TedD
Board Meister

Post by TedD »

Can we send Ignatieff a bill for the cost of this election? If he wants it so bad, he can pay out of his own pocket.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”