Wednesday, September 17th21.5°C

Suggestion: Moderation (thread move) Place Holders

Suggestions and questions about the forums. For comments on the news page, contact news@castanet.net

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Suggestion: Moderation (thread move) Place Holders

Postby neroas » Dec 24th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Hello,

I've seen this on other forums and it is useful, when threads are moved they just disappear. The place holder option leaves a thread (locked) with the link to it's new home. When I see threads moved, I find it a guessing game to which category it had been moved. We ended up getting a lot less posts "where did that thread go?"
neroas

Liked in: 7 posts

Re: Suggestion: Moderation (thread move) Place Holders

Postby Jo » Dec 24th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Yes, we have that capability, but we found that forums quickly filled up with the placeholders. People have been better lately about posting in the correct forum, so it might be worth revisiting.
jo@castanet.net
Old as dirt. Twice as gritty.
Jo
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 1269 posts

Postby Glacier » Dec 26th, 2012, 12:11 pm

How about people simply click "view new posts?" That way category doesn't matter. Easy peasy.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Glacier
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1267 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » Dec 26th, 2012, 12:44 pm

I wish there was an ignore button for threads. Say, I don't want to see the thread again, and it disappears from all my views.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1416 posts

Postby neroas » Dec 27th, 2012, 1:57 am

Jo wrote:Yes, we have that capability, but we found that forums quickly filled up with the placeholders. People have been better lately about posting in the correct forum, so it might be worth revisiting.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The site I was moderating on had 300,000 + users, when we started it was mainly a problem in a catch all type sub forum. We did do it for general moderation as well to be more transparent. Though, we had one mod that got a little overzealous in moving threads in one particular forum area in a short period. (nothing like seeing a full page of moved thread placeholders) So I understand what you mean.
neroas

Liked in: 7 posts

Return to Suggestions, Concerns, Questions