Wednesday, October 22nd9.3°C

Virus scanner is finding Blackhole exploit kit from castanet

Suggestions and questions about the forums. For comments on the news page, contact news@castanet.net

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Virus scanner is finding Blackhole exploit kit from castanet

Postby NoComply » Nov 13th, 2012, 3:18 pm

I think that this site may be compromised with a blackhole exploit kit. I would look into your site security.
NoComply
Board Meister

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Virus scanner is finding Blackhole exploit kit from cast

Postby Nebula » Nov 13th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Posting this in the forums is not the best way to get a response. Contact Troy at Castanet.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby Troy » Nov 13th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I found and fixed the problem. Thanks for letting me know.

Troy
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby binky11 » Jan 14th, 2013, 4:27 am

According to my techie guy, and yes he is one of the best in western Canada, having done all the electronics for Expo ect....well anyway, he is claiming to be so far behind on the demands of calls he is getting from people getting some type of virus that is coming from castanet.net somewhere. My friend got it from being in the classifieds. Tech said that it's one of those things, you can go on castanet 80 times and be fine, but that 81 st time will get ya. This guy is working around the clock fixing the many problems that have come from castanet. GUess I myself am taking a chance, I even had it set as my homepage, but he says to give it another 2 weeks to be sure its gone. Sounds like something is obviously wrong somewhere, just passing on what I heard.
binky11
Übergod

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby UltraViolet » Jan 14th, 2013, 10:57 am

I also have heard from 2 other women that they were getting a virus from castanet last Thursday or Friday. One said it suppossedly wiped part of her hard drive out.
I didn't think it was possible, also, I never heard any news about this last week, so I thought it was not true.
Out of 100 people in Kelowna, 25 are normal and 75 are out of control idiots and don't even know it!
UltraViolet
Übergod

Liked in: 109 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 14th, 2013, 11:05 am

It might depend on where she has gone. Just because you start with Castanet you can get linked to many other sites from there. So not Castanets fault per se.

Too many people are not vigilant enough with their Virus protection. They do not do scans, they do not keep the programs updated. etc, etc.

Ultimately they are their own worst enemies and with a little care they would not get the Virus in the first place. Now having said that there is nothing that is 100% safe.

If you think there is a Virus on Castanet then inform them directly! Don't post it on here and think they are going to read it because they may not.
Recent medical research has shown that a Woman who carries a bit of excess weight lives much longer than a man who mentions it!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 2685 posts

Postby Troy » Jan 14th, 2013, 5:02 pm

There was one problem on our website Thursday morning. It was from a 3rd party advertisement that made its way on to the site and triggered a Javascript Obfuscation (type 2260) alert from anti-virus software - which then blocks it from doing anything else to your computer. This issue was blocked and removed within approximately an hour of us being notified about it.

A general discussion about the ransomware virus going around can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=48538 - As mentioned in that discussion, it looks like the ransomware virus was even showing up for people when they looked at their email.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Troy Ryder
troy@castanet.net
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Liked in: 82 posts

Return to Suggestions, Concerns, Questions