Post Edit Reason Option??

Comments about the discussion board. Site-related comments should be addressed to the applicable department through the Contact Us form.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post Edit Reason Option??

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I've been on the internet for a long time now, and one thing I've noted is that on most forums, when you go to edit a post, one of the features available, is an entry box you can fill in regarding the reason for the edit, which then accompanies the edit notation and time at the bottom of the post.

Why is there no such option here?

Personally I think it is useful.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Post Edit Reason Option??

Post by alanjh595 »

You can just add a message at the end of your post.

I would like to see a "dislike" option made available.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If you are so inclined you can add it at the bottom.

eg: edited for spelling error!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I am aware of that option, and resort to it when I remember, however that tends to make it look more like part of the post, whereas the other method makes it evident that it's part of the forum software at work.

I'm sure it's present in the software because the mods apply it, so it makes no sense to me why it's not available for all?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Old Techie wrote:I am aware of that option, and resort to it when I remember, however that tends to make it look more like part of the post, whereas the other method makes it evident that it's part of the forum software at work.

I'm sure it's present in the software because the mods apply it, so it makes no sense to me why it's not available for all?

I'll go take a look, but I don't remember ever seeing anything like that for members.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

ferri wrote:
Old Techie wrote:I am aware of that option, and resort to it when I remember, however that tends to make it look more like part of the post, whereas the other method makes it evident that it's part of the forum software at work.

I'll go take a look, but I don't remember ever seeing anything like that for members.

Is it not able to be activated for everyone, and for mods you still retain the ability to remove the edit function of a post, as you do already?

As in everyone gets to use that "reason" box, but only you have the ability to remove the edit ability of a post, or lock it if you will.

Any post you currently remove generally just shows up with "removed" as the message, and there is no edit available should the original author wish to reword what was removed. I do recall at one point in time that was available, but not anymore.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Are you thinking of the reason for deletion ... this is what's available on a couple of other forums I belong to if you want to delete a post. The reason can be seen by the moderators but not posters.

Untitled.png
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

No I'm talking about the reason for edit.

Basically it functions the same way, except that the reason for edit can be seen by everyone.

I suppose it's possible your forum software doesn't offer this option, but it would surprise me to learn it doesn't.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

I'll ask and let you know when I hear back.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

This forum software (or at least the version we are currently running) doesn’t have a setting to turn this feature on for users who aren’t mods/admins. It’s something I could looking into adding though.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Troy wrote:

This forum software (or at least the version we are currently running) doesn’t have a setting to turn this feature on for users who aren’t mods/admins. It’s something I could looking into adding though.

Thanks for the reply.
Certainly not pressing by any means, but it would be a useful feature.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I looked through all the settings yesterday and the only way I could find to do it would be to make all of you moderators. Heaven forbid. :crazy:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

ferri wrote:I looked through all the settings yesterday and the only way I could find to do it would be to make all of you moderators. Heaven forbid. :crazy:

:200: There's a terrifying thought :200:

Return to “Feedback and Requests”