IP Addresses

Comments about the discussion board. Site-related comments should be addressed to the applicable department through the Contact Us form.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

IP Addresses

Post by Barney Google »

Not sure if this is a complaint more than a question.

Do Castanet Forum Moderators have access to Forum Member's IP Addresses and if so for what purpose?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: IP Addresses

Post by ferri »

yes we do. it comes with the software. :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Thanks Feri - what purpose are our IP Addresses used for?

IP Addresses allow specific locations to be obtained...is there a purpose for this?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

some boards use them for banning members. or spammers. that's about it. :)
― Albert Einstein
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Basically every website you visit on the internet can access your IP.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I understand and know how IP Addresses are used and obtained. My question is, are Forum Member IP addresses being used for some purpose? Marketing demographics, advertising, or ????? ? Are our IP Addresses being shared with others?
Is Forum Members private information being kept confidential?
- Unknown
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

The only thing IP addresses are possibly being used for here in the forums is to block troublemakers. However, these days, most troublemakers know how to get a different IP address if we do that.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Barney Google wrote:My question is, are Forum Member IP addresses being used for some purpose? Marketing demographics, advertising, or ????? ? Are our IP Addresses being shared with others?
Is Forum Members private information being kept confidential?

Google Ads use cookies planted on your computer to show you advertising that is relevant to your browsing history or Google requests. You might see ads for website you've recently visited. Castanet doesn't share your IP addresses but cookies planted by website (or Google itself) you've visited do interact with Google ads Castanet runs on some pages.

Aside from this it's impossible to advertise to a specific IP address, so sharing IP addresses isn't something that is done.

Castanet however uses Google Analytics to tracks where visitors are coming from to see breakdown between cities or area of town. They use your IP address for it, but it's done automatically by Google Analytics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Even Steven, you sound like a Castanet employee at this point.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Queen K wrote:Even Steven, you sound like a Castanet employee at this point.

LOL. It might sound like it, but it's common knowledge for anyone involved in running a website. I run a small website, I also have Google Analytics installed, I have Google Ads on it. I'm also familiar with the concept of re-marketing - placing ads for website you've already visited on other websites through cookies.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I too have a website and understand what purpose a company could use them for. I also can see how using IP addresses to 'block troublemakers' can be useful. Is this information kept private at Castanet or do all moderators, who I understand are volunteers, and staff have access to IP addresses?
The reason I ask is because a former Forum participant suggested to me that IP address information was not kept secure and I'd like to get to the bottom of that to dispel this concern. I would like Forum users to feel like I do and know and trust their personal information is protected and respected. I enjoy my Castanet exchanges and the thought that anyone thinks their personal information is being used to 'find out where posters live' and 'who we really are' is a disparaging one. Frankly, I could care less for myself, who cares about an old Fart, what bugs me is the thought that apparently 'everyone knows this' and I don't believe it to be correct information.
- Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i have never, ever heard of any of the volunteers here sharing anyone's ip address with anyone else. that's just nonsense.

as far as ip address go, have you ever tried to trace one? :) i suppose if you live in the Shaw or Telus building you could worry, other than? not so much. :D
― Albert Einstein
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I bet it's interesting to see who's posting from the same computer. When you come up against that, do you dig a little more to see if two accounts are posting with differing devices etc?

I'm adding up all the different devices I use on a daily basis and wonder if each device shows up. If so, what's the maximum you've seen?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Interesting point KG. I use multiple devices too at times to access the Forum.
Another point that at one time got in my craw was that in a query to a Mod it was suggested that I was using another avatar to post on the forum. Turns out that another person living on my property who occasionally used my computer was posting on the Forum and the Mods thought that was me. I wasn't too happy about that. I tried to clear that up and hope I did but have always wondered if the Mods believed me or if I'm on 'The List' or being 'monitored'...LOL

As far as 'nonsense' Ferri - I agree and was really taken aback when this was suggested. That's why I'm asking so the person(s) who have suggested this can read that it's not so.
Actually, from what I understand, if one has the skills IP addresses can get pretty close to a computer's location.
Wonder how that works for Iphones and laptops?
- Unknown

Return to “Feedback and Requests”