IP Addresses

Comments about the discussion board. Site-related comments should be addressed to the applicable department through the Contact Us form.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Re: IP Addresses

Post by Troy »

Barney Google wrote:I too have a website and understand what purpose a company could use them for. I also can see how using IP addresses to 'block troublemakers' can be useful. Is this information kept private at Castanet or do all moderators, who I understand are volunteers, and staff have access to IP addresses?
The reason I ask is because a former Forum participant suggested to me that IP address information was not kept secure and I'd like to get to the bottom of that to dispel this concern. I would like Forum users to feel like I do and know and trust their personal information is protected and respected. I enjoy my Castanet exchanges and the thought that anyone thinks their personal information is being used to 'find out where posters live' and 'who we really are' is a disparaging one. Frankly, I could care less for myself, who cares about an old Fart, what bugs me is the thought that apparently 'everyone knows this' and I don't believe it to be correct information.

The moderators and our classifieds admin staff can see IP addresses because of features in the forums and classifieds to help deal with troublemakers. As the person taking care of all this stuff behind this scene, I can also see it. Beyond that, the rest of the staff don't see, nor care, what a user's IP address is. Your IP address is not shared publicly at all.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

kgcayenne wrote:I bet it's interesting to see who's posting from the same computer. When you come up against that, do you dig a little more to see if two accounts are posting with differing devices etc?

I'm adding up all the different devices I use on a daily basis and wonder if each device shows up. If so, what's the maximum you've seen?

^^^ and that is the kind of question we just don't answer. :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

But but but.... I just love analytics.

So many questions...
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

So while we have a few of the Mods and Admin "on the horn/line". Another suggestion a disgruntled forum poster shared was the belief that Mods and Castanet Staff had/has access to our private messages. Could one of you address that to clear this up please - once and for all? Tanks!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

hahaha no, we don't. Ye Olde Urban Legends die hard. we can't see what you say in your private messages.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Barney Google wrote:So while we have a few of the Mods and Admin "on the horn/line". Another suggestion a disgruntled forum poster shared was the belief that Mods and Castanet Staff had/has access to our private messages. Could one of you address that to clear this up please - once and for all? Tanks!

As a former mod I can assure you we have all your PMs posted on the wall of the control room in the mod bunker.

I know all about that thing you said to that person that time.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I think it's time to move this one to the "Conspiracy forum". :spitcoffee:
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Barney Google wrote: anyone thinks their personal information is being used to 'find out where posters live' and 'who we really are' is a disparaging one.

From PC Workd
"What can website administrators find out about you from your router's IP address? They can identify your ISP and figure out approximately where you're located. They will likely be able to identify your neighborhood, but not your home. And they can see how often you (or someone else sharing your router) visit their website."

I suppose if someone dug far enough they could figure out where you live but that's getting a bit paranoid isn't it?
Just don't broadcast things like when you will be away etc.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Thanks for the replies...just trying to dispel rumours and in-you-endos.
Having things out in the front and open will squash behind the scenes squawking...
:up:

:sunshine:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Barney Google wrote:So while we have a few of the Mods and Admin "on the horn/line". Another suggestion a disgruntled forum poster shared was the belief that Mods and Castanet Staff had/has access to our private messages. Could one of you address that to clear this up please - once and for all? Tanks!

The mods definitely do not have access to your private messages and, to be honest, the only staff who could even potentially see them would be those of us in the programming department (me and 2 others) who have direct access to the database server.

Return to “Feedback and Requests”