Fired for a song

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Fired for a song

Post by Donald G »

To jamapple ...

Are you saying that the taxpayers should pay Public Servants to proactively support the political party of their choice ??

Can you imagine the absolute schemozzle that would result if the entire Public Service was allowed to "argue it out in public" during every election ?? Morale and employee cooperation ZERO after every election, with any number of taxpayers objecting to the service from that damn (name your party here) supporter.

The role of paid employees is to facilitate Government service to the taxpayers. Not to say what, in their opinion, the government is doing right or wrong.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote:The role of paid employees is to facilitate Government service to the taxpayers. Not to say what, in their opinion, the government is doing right or wrong.

Not even on their own time away from the job ?
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Donald G wrote: with any number of taxpayers objecting to the service from that damn (name your party here) supporter.

When the time comes for someone to wipe your bum I don't think you will object which political party that person supports.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Hurtlander ...

Their job is to facilitate Government (OF THE DAY) service to the taxpayers. Not to use THEIR interpretation of inside information in order to sewer the government. The same goes for the police who are paid by the taxpayers.

If you accept the money you do the job you are paid to do without branding your employer as an *bleep* or a saint.

It does NOT include their families.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Donald G wrote:Not to use THEIR interpretation of inside information in order to sewer the government.

Inside information ? It's out there for everyone to see. You just don't want to see it.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Smoke ...

Inane.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote:To Hurtlander ...

Their job is to facilitate Government (OF THE DAY) service to the taxpayers. Not to use THEIR interpretation of inside information in order to sewer the government. The same goes for the police who are paid by the taxpayers.

If you accept the money you do the job you are paid to do without branding your employer as an *bleep* or a saint.

What an absolutely stupid thing to believe, and worse, spell out for the world to read..
According to Donald absolutely no public employee of any stripe from dog catcher or nurse in a public hospital, or a soldier or firefighter, an employee of revenue Canada or the Canadian mint, or an air traffic controller or border guard etc, should ever be allowed to run for office or support a local candidate or voice a public opinion because they may be privy to inside information.
Donald this is Canada, not North Korea...
Póg Mo Thoin
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

You have taken my comment and, by wilfully misinterpreting it out of context, made it say something that I in no way said regarding running for office.

Typical NDP approach to real life.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Also, Donald, do you believe that any civil servants or public paid employees should be thoroughly muzzled from expressing their opinion on public Internet forums ?
Póg Mo Thoin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote:You have taken my comment and, by wilfully misinterpreting it out of context, made it say something that I in no way said regarding running for office.

Typical NDP approach to real life.

What about public employees supporting candidates or having a public opinion ?
Póg Mo Thoin
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Hurtlander ...

I think it is a severe conflict of interest for a Civil Servant to accept a salary from the taxpayers TO EXPLAIN AND FACILITATE THE GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS OF THE GOVERNMENT IN POWER and profess to criticize or laude those programs for the benefit of their own political party.

There is a political and a civil service part to the Government. If it is right for a CS employee to enter into the political fray should it not also be acceptable for politicians to promote and otherwise manipulate the PS positions ?? How far are you willing to go with that ??

You obviously want to break the hard won strict division between the two distinctly separate Government factions.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

While on duty a public servant should not present opinions of the government. They should present facts which may fall either way, or remain silent.
On their own free time, they may say anything they like, with the same rules as any citizen.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I think it is a severe conflict of interest for a Civil Servant to accept a salary from the taxpayers TO EXPLAIN AND FACILITATE THE GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS OF THE GOVERNMENT IN POWER and profess to criticize or laude those programs for the benefit of their own political party.

There is a political and a civil service part to the Government. If it is right for a CS employee to enter into the political fray should it not also be acceptable for politicians to promote and otherwise manipulate the PS positions ?? How far are you willing to go with that ??

You obviously want to break the hard won strict division between the two distinctly separate Government factions.

I'm certainly glad that's only your opinion and not actual law..just imagine Donald that when you wake up on October 20th to find that your new government is NDP..wouldn't you want the existing civil service to have the right to point out any mistakes they feel the new government is making ?
Póg Mo Thoin
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Hurtlander ...

I am afraid that just as in Alberta it is up to the Civil Service of ALL stripes to support their new government and not only personally adapt to the possibly new expectations, but to do their best to help the citizens understand and possibly benefit from the new guidelines, rules and regulations.

If you want to be a politician go into politics. If you want to be a civil servant best you learn what your role in a Democracy is rather than pretending to be a self procalimed genius regarding utopian truth that is unwilling to accept the will of the people until the next election.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Thousands of bureaucrats slam harper daily,
Smell the coffee.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Political Arena”