Associations, unions and federations

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Associations, unions and federations

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    Essentially what you are saying is that workers anywhere, whether they belong to 'Unions', 'Associations' or 'Federations' should NOT have the option of 'withdrawing services' (striking) because they feel they are being unfairly treated by the employer. Is that correct?
No, that is not correct. You are completely and utterly wrong.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Well, then kindly explain why teachers should not have the right to withdraw services when it is perfectly alright for doctors and lawyers to do the same.

I would be so bold as to suggest that the services of a doctor or a lawyer are more critical to the welfare of many more people than those of a teacher. Can you refute that statement?
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Well, then kindly explain why teachers should not have the right to withdraw services when it is perfectly alright for doctors and lawyers to do the same.

I would be so bold as to suggest that the services of a doctor or a lawyer are more critical to the welfare of many more people than those of a teacher. Can you refute that statement?
Where did I say that I favoured doctors having the right to strike? Nowhere. That's where. Those in essential services, and that should include doctors and teachers, shouldn't have the right to strike. There are lots of areas where unions with the right to strike are appropriate but teachers and doctors don't fit into that category as far as I'm concerned. You see the problem now with the names?? It's not the names, i.e. associations, unions, or federations, but what the organizations actually are. Perhaps you're in favour of everyone having the right to strike?? Firefighters on the way to a fire could turn around and head back to the station to man picket lines? How about if you explain your position on the right to strike?
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

As I mentioned earlier, I was in a trade union for 30 years. The union I was in gave absolutely every member the opportunity to vote for the executive at both the local and national levels. I believe that federations only allow delegates to conventions to vote for local and national executives, so again, that's why I believe there is a slight difference between trade unions and federations, with trade unions being the more democratic of the two.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urb wrote:

Where did I say that I favoured doctors having the right to strike? Nowhere. That's where. Those in essential services, and that should include doctors and teachers, shouldn't have the right to strike. There are lots of areas where unions with the right to strike are appropriate but teachers and doctors don't fit into that category as far as I'm concerned

I guess you have not had a lot of exposure to doctors and lawyers and where they will make a stand. They are the penultimate professionals and will not stand - I repeat - WILL NOT STAND for mere politicians dictating to them. They will make their stand - and the government recognizes that and will adjust their negotiating tactics to 'work' whereas teachers are not held in such high regard and the government feels it can manipulate the electorate into making the teachers the 'bad guys' in witholding services. Politics 101.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    I guess you have not had a lot of exposure to doctors and lawyers and where they will make a stand. They are the penultimate professionals and will not stand - I repeat - WILL NOT STAND for mere politicians dictating to them. They will make their stand - and the government recognizes that and will adjust their negotiating tactics to 'work' whereas teachers are not held in such high regard and the government feels it can manipulate the electorate into making the teachers the 'bad guys' in witholding services. Politics 101.
You avoided answering my question AND you're drifting further off topic. I'm in favour of those in essential services not having the right to withdraw services and I consider teachers to be essential. I also believe that those in essential services should be treated fairly and I favour the idea of linking salary increases of teachers to those of other public sector workers.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Hurtlander wrote:As I mentioned earlier, I was in a trade union for 30 years. The union I was in gave absolutely every member the opportunity to vote for the executive at both the local and national levels. I believe that federations only allow delegates to conventions to vote for local and national executives, so again, that's why I believe there is a slight difference between trade unions and federations, with trade unions being the more democratic of the two.
One member one vote should be the way of the world. I'm glad to see a movement within the BCTF to bring full democracy to that organization and allow members to vote for their leaders. I hope that the movement is successful in doing just that.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

I was in a union for 35 years and though they may have disagreed with what I had to say I really didn't give a *bleep*.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “Political Arena”