The Draft

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.

Should we institute a draft?

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 20

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: The Draft

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Tacklewasher wrote:Pervert

:)

Jack Nicholson does make some valid points in that video.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

having served my county myself, it might make men out of the so called punks running the streets these days
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Men are made by the way they are raised. While some "punks" can be rehabilitated, the last thing needed is a bunch of them running around with high-powered weapons!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

having served my county myself, it might make men out of the so called punks running the streets these days

Have to agree.
Although my parents were great and I had a pretty happy and stable upbringing....I still managed to screw it up and develop the usual "who gives a S#it" attitude when I hit my teens. Joining the primary reserves for a summer job really opened my eyes.
They taught me self respect, personal discipline, and instilled a sense of citizenship I had been lacking. My parents did what they could....but it just doesn't burn in like it does when you serve.
Months in, I remember apologizing to my father for all of the stupid childish things I had put him through over the last couple of years. He was literally in tears after hearing me out.
I served in the reserves for two years and seriously considered going Reg forces afterwards. But things didn't pan out (grades were not high enough for ROTP) and I went on to university as a civy and lived happily ever after.

Anyway, it was a great experience....and it effectively pounded the "punk" right out of me.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Yeah, you wouldn't want people asking questions like those Vietnam redskinned turncoats.

I'd love to go to war in a foreign country, get my legs blown off and have to prove to Veterans Canada every year that my legs haven't grown back while my government argues in court that they have no obligation to care for me.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I went through military service (not in Canada), it was a great and rewarding experience. While it helps to turn boys into men, it's not for everybody.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Atomoa wrote:Yeah, you wouldn't want people asking questions like those Vietnam redskinned turncoats.

What the hell is a "Vietnam redskinned turncoat"? I tried googling it and nothing came up.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

IMO, the biggest complainers about the draft and or the military in general are the people that have never served there country and or had family members serve, but have no problem enjoying all the freedoms that come with living in a great country like Canada, hundreds of thousands of Canadian men and women have gone to wars overseas over the last 100 years
to serve this country ,if not for them good chance fourms like this would not even exist, many of you on here should try to remember that
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

My Grandfather served :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.2943398

...and told me never to fight a politician's war.

- Buckminster Fuller
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup, I get that part of it for sure
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Atomoa wrote:...and told me never to fight a politician's war.

Name one war that wasn't started by politicians.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Atomoa wrote:
...and told me never to fight a politician's war.

so then he'd be cool if you went over to Syria to fight for ISIS. That's a religious war.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:Name one war that wasn't started by politicians.

To expand on this : my Grandfather was 17 and desperately wanted in on the war like most boys his age. Being a North Western Ontario lumberjack, he signed up for a unit that promised to get him in the war quick.

Turns out if was the FSSF, where every mission they went on was a suicide mission. My Grandfather was blown to hell. Lost 3 fingers on his right hand, a grenade went off close to him and he took shrapnel in the chest, and he got shot. All separate occasions. His entire body was a scar, but he lived.

Being a young/dumb kid he didn't know what he was getting into. When he came back he never was the same. I never heard any detailed or direct stories aside from some training jokes and some tidbits of information. Every Christmas he would disappear and not really participate with the family. From what I understood there was a Christmas ceasefire on the front lines, in which his camp was raided by Germans in the middle of the night which resulted in hand-to-hand combat. Whatever happened was not good.

He then went on to see the Americans claim the glory of WWII which forever irked him. VIetnam was not our fight he would say - foreign interference. 1991 rolled around and there he was yellin at CNN that Saddam was our friend and now he's our enemy and it was all "*bleep*". It was around that time he told me that he would never want to see me fighting in another man's war.

Hitler could have been stopped way before he did what he did, but up until he invaded Poland the US considered him a valuable business partner in Europe.

Gee - where have we seen that before?

- Buckminster Fuller
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Atomoa wrote: Hitler could have been stopped way before he did what he did, but up until he invaded Poland the US considered him a valuable business partner in Europe.

Gee - where have we seen that before?

We're seeing it right now with the loony fruit loops crying for us to leave ISIL alone.

Wait until ISIL controls Iran's nuclear facilities they say ...

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Atomoa wrote:
To expand on this : my Grandfather was 17 and desperately wanted in on the war like most boys his age. Being a North Western Ontario lumberjack, he signed up for a unit that promised to get him in the war quick.

Sounds like the story that a lot of veterans have. Which is why whenever I see one, wearing his medals, I shake his hand and thank him profusely for all that he did for me.

Turns out if was the FSSF, where every mission they went on was a suicide mission. My Grandfather was blown to hell. Lost 3 fingers on his right hand, a grenade went off close to him and he took shrapnel in the chest, and he got shot. All separate occasions. His entire body was a scar, but he lived.

Sounds like the story that a lot of veterans have. Which is why if I ever had run into your grandfather, I would have shaken his hand and thanked him profusely for all that he did for me.

Being a young/dumb kid he didn't know what he was getting into.

None of them did. And if they had, a lot fewer would have joined up.

He then went on to see the Americans claim the glory of WWII which forever irked him.

That explains your irrational hatred of America at least.

Hitler could have been stopped way before he did what he did, but up until he invaded Poland the US considered him a valuable business partner in Europe.

Almost the entire world considered Germany a valuable business partner. Once again your need to revise history bares its ugly head. It was the Great Depression. People weren't just having to go down to one Ipad or work at McDonalds like in the baby depression we had in 2009, they were actually starving to death. Germany was strong and needed raw materials, and so the rest of the world needed to eat, so they had to do business with Germany.

What I don't get is how Sweden to this day continues to get a free pass from the leftist history-revisers. What is that about? Even as the war raged on all around them, and details of the atrocities in Auschwitz and Dachau were leaked out to the entire world, Sweden continued to sell Germany all the iron ore it could manufacture so that the Germans could continue to turn out Panzers and rolling stock to carry Jews to their deaths. Why does Sweden always get a free pass for that, while lunatics cry about how the US traded with Germany before the war. Who cares about that? Everybody did!

Return to “Political Arena”