Harper Government Spends $700,000 Fighting Veterans

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Harper Government Spends $700,000 Fighting Veterans

Post by maryjane48 »

a statement of defence filed by federal lawyers, the government argues Ottawa has no special obligation or "social contract" with veterans, and that it is unfair to bind the current government to promises made nearly a century ago by another prime minister.

One of the plantiffs, retired major Mark Campbell, who lost both legs in a mine blast in Afghanistan, said he's not surprised at the extent of the legal costs and that he's resigned to a long court battle.

But he said he wonders if the Conservatives realize the political damage they're doing to themselves.

"I'm not sure they're aware of the depth of anger, widespread anger in the community that's out there," said Campbell, who identified himself as a life-long Conservative voter. "I don't think they get how much dismay they are generating with veterans."
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Harper Government Spends $700,000 Fighting Veterans

Post by maryjane48 »

A wounded soldier who lost both legs in Afghanistan and has had to prove to Veterans Affairs every year that he still needs a wheelchair, will now only have to go through the experience every three years.

The change in policy was quietly announced in the House of Commons by Pierre Lemieux, parliamentary secretary to the veterans minister.

In addition, Lemieux told opposition parties that veterans who are required to complete these renewals under the veterans independence program will have six months to hand in the paperwork, considerably longer than under the current system.

Paul Franklin, who was a master corporal when he lost his legs in a 2006 roadside bombing in Kandahar, has long complained about the veterans system and its annual review.

He says he was well looked after at National Defence, but has faced a bureaucratic nightmare since retiring almost six years ago and coming under the veterans department.

His plight caused a political sensation and even drew the attention of comedian Rick Mercer, who devoted a rant to the subject.

Franklin wasn't immediately available to comment Friday.

In early February, he spoke to CTV's Canada AM and said veterans affairs treats him and other ex-soldiers as though they are trying to cheat the system.

The department required him to justify annually why he still qualified for home-care services and income replacement because of his disability.

The disputes got so bad, Franklin had his wheelchair taken away from him twice because it wasn't clear which department should pay for it and which doctor's notes were needed.

Lemieux told the Commons that Veterans Affairs Minister Erin O'Toole has spoken to Franklin personally.

NDP MP John Rafferty called the situation "unbelievable."

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/133 ... lost-limbs

what a embarrassment, making our soldiers prove every year that they lost a limb , now its changed to 3 , but still , i'm pretty sure once a leg is blown off , it not growing back
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

lakevixen wrote:A wounded soldier who lost both legs in Afghanistan and has had to prove to Veterans Affairs every year that he still needs a wheelchair, will now only have to go through the experience every three years.

Well, it's nice to see the Harper Government so effectively responding to the criticism of its wretched and pitiful treatment of our veterans (yes - that is sarcasm). Only $700,000 in tax payer dollars spent trying to justify and perpetuate their gross negligence (did this government learn this strategy of using tax money to fight battles against their taxpayers in Court from the BC Liberals or was it the other way around?). Seems we have the money to fund and fight these wars on behalf of our government, but not to care for the men we throw in harm’s way. This government is a disgrace to Canadians.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

At first glance this sounds stupid, but I am assuming it is more to make sure that the government is not paying for a wheelchair for a veteran that has since died. It is the only thing that makes sense to me, as quite likely the computer system that tracks wheelchair payments does not talk to the computer that tracks deaths.

Stupid yes, but as a computer professional, I have seen this thing before. Especially in government!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Muzza wrote:At first glance this sounds stupid, but I am assuming it is more to make sure that the government is not paying for a wheelchair for a veteran that has since died. It is the only thing that makes sense to me, ...

... if only it were an isolated incident in the treatment of veterans by this government.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

No big surprise, they want people to sign up go risk there lives. When they need help __________________, oh your still here waiting.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Blast

Post by Blast »

lakevixen, are you just attempting to stir the pot against the current government in the hope that your party of choice forms the next government? This is an old story that started in May 2012 with the government filing a defense in June 2013. It is still before the courts.

I am NOT defending the governments case. I am NOT defending VAC. Most of the problems with VAC is the culture of the workers, inefficiencies, thus the rejection level/glacial pace of files.

Do you know the origins and how the current Veteran's Charter came about? Bet you don't. Hint: it was not the Conservatives legislation.

P.S. I am a Vet, know Mark, and his wife worked with me for years.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

After saying this was going to be a short note, I don't want to stop typing. I really enjoy getting to know you, and want to know more about you, like what your life was like growing up, and all that stuff...... so please tell me more about you!!

Yeah, it was the Liberals, and all parties voted for it. That seems to get forgotten....... conveniently.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Do you know the origins and how the current Veteran's Charter came about? Bet you don't. Hint: it was not the Conservatives legislation.
well i will tell you what i do know my grampa joe campbell was a pow in honk kong in ww2 and my mom has had many dealings with veteran affairs over the years . how you know what party i might choose? am i stirring the pot ? proudly yes as that is a right people from canada had fought previusly for all of us to enjoy , do i think harper is doing the best job for vets? my answer is no
Blast

Post by Blast »

well i will tell you what i do know my grampa joe campbell was a pow in honk kong in ww2 and my mom has had many dealings with veteran affairs over the years . how you know what party i might choose? am i stirring the pot ? proudly yes as that is a right people from canada had fought previusly for all of us to enjoy , do i think harper is doing the best job for vets? my answer is no

Base on the reply, that's what I was afraid of.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Base on the reply, that's what I was afraid of.
meaning what ? dont be shy , inform the masses of what they do not know. as far as i'm concerned there is no reason to take a vet or group of vets to court or defend against in court unless they committed a crime.my mom has been involved with vetrans affairs to the point that she had a company , that assisted in looking after vets in city she is in , mainly the older vets , but some newer ones . she sold the company now , but it was out of respect that she made veterans affairs , give her the local contacts in the city she was in to assist them through her company . and i can tell you with discounts she gave the vets to be able to better help them , veterans affairs was always trying to cheap out , which was sad , very sad
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

veterans affairs was always trying to cheap out , which was sad , very sad

Just to clarify, by "always", do you mean Liberals as well, before the Conservatives? I am asking so we can determine if this is simply another anti-Harper tirade, or are you actually concerned about vets, and it should be discussed seriously.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Just to clarify, by "always", do you mean Liberals as well, before the Conservatives? I am asking so we can determine if this is simply another anti-Harper tirade, or are you actually concerned about vets, and it should be discussed seriously.

it was pretty clear , i said veterans affairs, this last embarrassment just happens to be harper . yes when my mom was first involved it was the end of the libs goverment
Blast

Post by Blast »

lakevixen
meaning what ? dont be shy , inform the masses of what they do not know. as far as i'm concerned there is no reason to take a vet or group of vets to court or defend against in court unless they committed a crime.my mom has been involved with vetrans affairs to the point that she had a company , that assisted in looking after vets in city she is in , mainly the older vets , but some newer ones . she sold the company now , but it was out of respect that she made veterans affairs , give her the local contacts in the city she was in to assist them through her company . and i can tell you with discounts she gave the vets to be able to better help them , veterans affairs was always trying to cheap out , which was sad , very sad

A couple of points.

lakevixen: "....there is no reason to take a vet or group of vets to court or defend against in court unless they committed a crime."

There are many reasons gov't/company's/individuals have criminal or civil court cases. In this case, the gov't is defending the law (New Veterans Charter) that was passed unanimously in Parliament by all political parties, not just by the Conservatives. Until the law is changed by an Act of Parliament, it is the law of Canada. If the NDP or Liberals think the law is unfair, they should/should have introduced a Bill to change the law. They didn't.

By the way, the New Veterans Charter was Liberal legislation of the Paul Martin government that died on the Order Paper due to the Election. The Conservatives won the election. Shortly after the election, PM Harper visited the Netherlands for their Liberation celebration. He graciously took all the leaders of the political parties to represent Canada at the celebrations. On the return flight, PM Harper got all the leaders together in a meeting where they all agreed to immediately pass the New Veterans Charter in Parliament in the first new session.

lakevixen: "...but it was out of respect that she made veterans affairs , give her the local contacts in the city she was in to assist them through her company ."

Wrong! VAC would never, never, never release the names of it's "clients". That would be breaking the law, several laws.

You do not know of what you speak, or write without sentence structure/punctuation.

Give your Conservative bashing a break until you are at least a tiny bit knowledgeable.

P.S. VAC is very difficult to deal with as a Vet. But it is the VAC culture of deny,deny, deny until the Vet is dead. The government has taken steps to sort out VAC with a new Minister who is a Vet, and the Deputy Minister (a Public Servant) who was the former CF CDS. Will VAC change? We all hope so.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

^^^Oh balderdash, it's this government that's been shafting our soldiers with PTSD or ones who've been physically wounded by giving them the boot before they have enough whiskers to collect their pension, by making them take a onetime small payment for permanent loss of a limb or mind. Just hang around any Royal Canadian Legion hall and talk to these young guys that've been shafted in the last few years by the Harper government. It's truly sad to hear their stories. The liberals never treated our wounded soldiers like that, ever..I
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “Political Arena”