BC MSP rip off

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Re: BC MSP rip off

Post by Keith Duhaime »

Merry wrote:I just noticed that Keith rides his bicycle to work.

As designated bike lanes cost money to implement and maintain, I think cyclists such as him should pay some kind of road license fee to help cover the cost. And they probably should buy insurance too to cover the cost of any potential accidents they may cause.

Gee, I'm really catching on to this "user pay" idea. I wonder how many more costs I can unload onto other folks just so I can pay less? MSP is just the beginning; there are so may other possibilities out there!!!!!

I'd love to see that put in place. I remember in my last year of engineering at McGill doing the cyclic loading calculations to determine wear and tear on public infrastructure. We hardly use our car (which weighs about 2600 lbs.), so it would be great to see us move to a system that assesses costs per ton-mile of public infrastructure use, instread of getting screwed as we are under the current system. And I seem to recall those calculations involving non-linearities as a function of mass - big win for cyclists if we could get this in place. Victoria Transport Policy Institute has also been advocating for pay-as-you-drive (PAYD) insurance for years too, and this would fit in perfectly. Yes, bring it on as it would set the legal framework in place to make it all happen. And the black boxes in current automobiles, etc. would greatly facilitate it too.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Re: BC MSP rip off

Post by Keith Duhaime »

Merry wrote:I just noticed that Keith rides his bicycle to work.

As designated bike lanes cost money to implement and maintain, I think cyclists such as him should pay some kind of road license fee to help cover the cost. And they probably should buy insurance too to cover the cost of any potential accidents they may cause.

Gee, I'm really catching on to this "user pay" idea. I wonder how many more costs I can unload onto other folks just so I can pay less? MSP is just the beginning; there are so may other possibilities out there!!!!!

Good news! We might be getting our wish. Check out what Oregon is up to:

http://tinewsdaily.com/stories/51062510 ... tax-system

Only a matter of time before vehicle weight and/or mass is included.

Return to “Political Arena”