BC MSP rip off

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

BC MSP rip off

Post by Logitack »

BC Taxpayers are being ripped off by the Liberal BC government with our Medical Services Plan premiums …and the BC Greens have launched a campaign to STOP the abuse.

Kudos to BC Greens Deputy Leader for calling out the government’s ever-increasing “health” tax system … unparalleled ANYWHERE ELSE in the country.

“BC is the only province in the country to charge MSP premiums – a flat rate tax – that charges a fixed- and low-income earner the exact same amount as a millionaire. That’s just wrong,” Weaver pointed out recently.

In fact, it’s even worse than that.

In Alberta …which also has NO provincial sales tax … there are also NO health premium fees; in Ontario, the fees are part of annual income tax calculations and not only do higher income earners pay higher health premiums, anyone over 65 pays NONE at all; same in Quebec and other provinces where health premiums are now calculated as part of income tax revenues.

ONLY in BC do we still pay SEPARATE monthly health premiums … and I don’t know about you, but they sure have RISEN a lot faster than my Pension income!!!

Here’s this year’s MSP Premium charges …paid by all of us earning $30,000 or more … individually or as a family: Effective January 1, 2015, monthly rates went UP to $72.00 a month for one person, $130.50 a month for a family of two and $144.00 for a family of three or more.

Last year, the rates were UP, hitting $69.25 for one person, $125.50 for a family of two and $138.50 for a family of three or more; the year before that individuals paid $66.50 … UP from $64 a month in 2012 and families paid $128.50 in 2013 … UP from $120.50 in 2012.

Get the picture?

There, of course, is no such thing as “free” health care … but BC’s premium system is the MOST UNFAIR in the nation.

The BC Liberal government …. again, unlike ANY OTHER PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT in Canada … has been hitting its residents year after year with increase after increase under a totally non-discretionary EXTRA compulsory tax …. almost totally unrelated to income: and … not even giving a break to RETIRED SENIORS LIVING ONLY ON PENSIONS.

“There are far better ways of funding our healthcare system. They are called “progressive” options: taxing residents based on their ability to pay (ie: their income level), such as through income taxes, as is done is every other province in Canada,” Weaver said.

The Green’s BC deputy leader (who has also announced his intention to run for party leader) wants the government to ELIMINATE MSP premiums in next month’s budget.

Bravo!

And if you agree, there’s a petition on line you can support to urge just that: http://www.greenparty.bc.ca/msp.

http://harveyoberfeld.ca/blog/

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC MSP RIP OFF

Post by flamingfingers »

Giant ripoff indeed!! MSP premiums bring in as much revenue to the government as CORPORATE TAXES!!

MLA Andrew Weaver calls for new MSP premium payment structure

Andrew Weaver says B.C.'s health care fee structure is "robbing from the poor to give to the rich"
By All Points West, CBC News Posted: Jan 23, 2015 1:10 PM PT Last Updated: Jan 23, 2015 1:10 PM PT

Andrew Weaver, Green Party MLA for Oak Bay, is calling for the province to collect health care premiums through income taxes instead of a flat monthly fee.

"Let's be realistic, it is a tax," said Weaver. "It's a means and ways of hiding a tax increase as you increase MSP premiums."
All other provinces gather income for health care through income tax, which allows for those with lower incomes to pay less than those who earn more.

Currently in B.C., individuals making more than $30,000 a year are charged the same monthly rate as those in the highest income brackets.

"It's robbing from the poor to give to the rich," said Weaver.

There are subsidies for MSP premiums available depending on age, disability and number of children. More than 800,000 people — 20 per cent of the province — don't pay any premiums at all.

Weaver said MSP premiums have doubled in the past 15 years, and they bring in as much money as corporate income tax.
"Not only are we the only province doing it, we're charging rather large amounts," said Weaver.

He suggested moving to an income tax based system could save the province money as it wouldn't need to collect the fees separately.

Premier Christy Clark said the province was not considering restructuring the MSP fee structure ahead of the next budget.

"But I do want to say thanks to him for coming up with ideas in advance of the budget," said Clark.
Weaver said he's hopeful that a discussion could eventually be in the works.
"I think this is a conversation they are willing to listen to," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2928966
Chill
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Meh.

Either through the fees or through income taxes, we're paying for it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Captain Awesome wrote:Meh.

Either through the fees or through income taxes, we're paying for it.

BUT, if it were through income tax, those that made $300,000 per year (like Christy) would pay more than someone making $30,000. As it is, both pay the same; thus MSP premiums are regressive whereas income tax is progressive. Face it, for someone making $300,000 per year, a monthly payment of $70 and some odd sticks affects them MUCH less than it does someone making $30,000 per year, no?
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I think this is a great idea. If it works elsewhere then why not at least contemplate it. It's times like these that I wish we had at least one other viable option to vote for in this province. What does the NDP say about this? Why is it that Weaver is the one coming up with these ideas? No wonder the NDP is hiring mudslingers to attack him on Twitter.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Well, maybe Christy would consider not increasing individual income tax rates and raising the CORPORATE tax rate to a level that would offset the MSP premiums... oh wait!!! No WAY is she going to cut off her life blood Liberal political contributions by raising corporate tax rates. Ever!
Chill
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

flamingfingers wrote:BUT, if it were through income tax, those that made $300,000 per year (like Christy) would pay more than someone making $30,000. As it is, both pay the same;

I see what you're saying. If it was a sizable amount of money then perhaps including them in income taxes would be feasible. I just don't see it being worth the effort. Don't see it as a "rip off", some people are not happy with the way the cat has been skinned, personally I'm ok with it.

PS: People who make $300,000/year rarely pay MSP anyway but their employer pays it for them. It become a taxable benefit and they are taxed on it.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I see what you're saying. If it was a sizable amount of money then perhaps including them in income taxes would be feasible. I just don't see it being worth the effort. Don't see it as a "rip off", some people are not happy with the way the cat has been skinned, personally I'm ok with it.

Well, I am glad to see that you make so much that you don't think $70 bucks out of a $2500.00 a month pension is a 'sizable amount'. Consider also that there is a separate entity that collects the MSP premiums and turns it over to the government - administration of that entity requires funding (out of the MSP premiums collected).

PS: People who make $300,000/year rarely pay MSP anyway but their employer pays it for them. It become a taxable benefit and they are taxed on it.

And WHO in the great wide BC universe is 'their employer' who pays their MSP for them? Sheesh!!
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:Well, maybe Christy would consider not increasing individual income tax rates and raising the CORPORATE tax rate to a level that would offset the MSP premiums... oh wait!!! No WAY is she going to cut off her life blood Liberal political contributions by raising corporate tax rates. Ever!

I get that you and others like you think that the corporations in this province are this giant teat that can just be sucked on as needed but it's not quite how things work in the real world. If you want to ever win an election again, perhaps come up with something more original than just "raise corporate taxes". I actually laughed out loud when Iker was crying to the media during the strike that all that had to be done to find the billions that he and his thuggish BCTF gang were demanding would be to "raise corporate taxes". Of course. And those billions of dollars would just flow unfettered, without causing any huge slow-downs in corporate capital spending or employee lay-offs. Just unbelievable.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Feb 3rd, 2015, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

flamingfingers wrote:Well, I am glad to see that you make so much that you don't think $70 bucks out of a $2500.00 a month pension is a 'sizable amount'.

Hey, seventy bucks is seventy bucks, but to overhaul an entire system over $70 ... perhaps not worth it. I mean you can, but it would not make BC MSP "free", it would just mean you pay more in taxes, and given how much people love paying more in taxes, I'll venture a guess that it will also not going to be popular with people living in this province. "Damned if they do, damned if they don't" at its finest.

And WHO in the great wide BC universe is 'their employer' who pays their MSP for them? Sheesh!!

Three out of my five employers paid my MSP premiums. And I make like 1/10th of the amount you're referencing.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:

Every single employer I've had has done this. It's actually very common and even expected. Government employees' premiums are paid for by the government too, at least the ones I know. Then this payment is considered a taxable benefit, and added to your year-end salary. It's very simple actually.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Every single employer I've had has done this. It's actually very common and even expected.

Yep. And do they do this out of their generosity? No. The cost is passed on to the consumer.

Government employees' premiums are paid for by the government too, at least the ones I know.

And WHERE does 'the government' get its money from? Big huge money trees?
Chill
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

flamingfingers wrote:The cost is passed on to the consumer.

So are higher corporate taxes.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Captain Awesome wrote:
So are higher corporate taxes.

Shhh....they might learn something.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Not in a dollar for dollar amount. However, we are getting of topic with regard to MSP being a personal responsibility vs one that us monetarized through government revenue. While I am in the position to pay ever increasing MSP premiums, I can certainly empathize with people who find their money runs our before the end of the month. Especially because of the ChristyLiberals increased 'fees, tolls, carbon tax ad nauseum' - which they proclaim does not increase our income tax burden. What a bunch of liars!
Chill

Return to “Political Arena”