Bill 11 - Education Amendment Act

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Bill 11 - Education Amendment Act

Post by Hurtlander »

rustled wrote:I've posted before about my disillusionment with how difficult it is, under our current model, to effectively target resources to students. The people we once put our trust in, our locally elected school boards, have struggled over the past two decades to fulfill their responsibilities, caught between a rising tide of public indifference, powerful board administrators, and decisions duked out between the provincial government and a very powerful political/social activist organization and a second very powerful union, CUPE.

One of the scariest aspects of Bill11 would be the governments ability to replace any elected school board with it own hand picked cronies if the school board doesn't do as directed by the government. Right now for instance the school boards have been directed to slash 23 million from administration costs this year, and 25 million next year. The other day on the radio they interviewed Karl de Bruijn, the new superintendent of SD 73, district 73 has the reputation of being one of the best managed, most fiscally responsible districts in the province, de Bruijn says there isn't anywhere else to shave admin costs, but if they don't, under bill11, they stand to be replaced. Administration costs include things like cleaning and transportation. Two of the things they're being forced to consider are reducing janitor services, but the question is how to do that while keeping the schools properly cleaned, and forcing all students in district 73 to walk to school if they live within 5k of the school...these will be tough choices to make.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ "Hand picked cronies" would include any appointees by any government?? Therefore, a superintendent would be one of the "hand picked cronies" for a school board? Anyway, it's always been true that districts have to balance their budgets and they can be replaced if they don't obey the law. So Bill 11 doesn't seem to represent anything new in that regard. My potential concerns about Bill 11 are about central control but the government still should have the right and the responsbility to lay down some fiscal perameters.

Yes, there are school board members and superintendents telling us that now it really is true that budgets have been cut to the bare bone. The problem is that we've heard the rhetoric about the "cuts to the bare bone" over the past two decades and yet the system hasn't exactly imploded. In fact, there are still a lot of district superintendents, assistant superintendents, directors of instruction et al as part of the "bare bones" operation so I'm not going to start screaming "more money" just yet.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hurtlander wrote:One of the scariest aspects of Bill11 would be the governments ability to replace any elected school board with it own hand picked cronies if the school board doesn't do as directed by the government. Right now for instance the school boards have been directed to slash 23 million from administration costs this year, and 25 million next year. The other day on the radio they interviewed Karl de Bruijn, the new superintendent of SD 73, district 73 has the reputation of being one of the best managed, most fiscally responsible districts in the province, de Bruijn says there isn't anywhere else to shave admin costs, but if they don't, under bill11, they stand to be replaced. Administration costs include things like cleaning and transportation. Two of the things they're being forced to consider are reducing janitor services, but the question is how to do that while keeping the schools properly cleaned, and forcing all students in district 73 to walk to school if they live within 5k of the school...these will be tough choices to make.

We don't accept what the government tells us at face value. Should we accept what de Bruijn tells us at face value?

These same complaints of underfunding go back to the sixties and seventies, when I was in school. While I was a student, a parent, and an employee (in several different districts, some better managed than others) what we heard at budget time was always "we don't get enough money", and yet it was pretty obvious throughout the year they were routinely spending more money than they needed to in many areas which did not directly benefit students.

I don't believe any of our governments are truly out to destroy public education, so I'm not convinced any government will be itching for an opportunity to appoint their own "hand picked cronies" to sort things out. If our school boards truly can't get their houses in order, something needs to be done. I'm not sure what would we would have the upper levels of government do. To me, handing over more money without ensuring accountability for what we're already handing over is a scary idea.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Urbane wrote:^^ "Hand picked cronies" would include any appointees by any government?? Therefore, a superintendent would be one of the "hand picked cronies" for a school board? Anyway, it's always been true that districts have to balance their budgets and they can be replaced if they don't obey the law. So Bill 11 doesn't seem to represent anything new in that regard. My potential concerns about Bill 11 are about central control but the government still should have the right and the responsbility to lay down some fiscal perameters.

Yes, there are school board members and superintendents telling us that now it really is true that budgets have been cut to the bare bone. The problem is that we've heard the rhetoric about the "cuts to the bare bone" over the past two decades and yet the system hasn't exactly imploded. In fact, there are still a lot of district superintendents, assistant superintendents, directors of instruction et al as part of the "bare bones" operation so I'm not going to start screaming "more money" just yet.

I don't like the increase increase in central control either, Urbane. But given the current situation: public complacency over who we elect to our school boards, the lack of public support for the fiscally responsible (yet unpopular) decisions they make, the inability of local boards to direct the most effective use of their most costly resource (labour), and the degree to which the locally elected trustees' hands are tied (or at least, that's what they are telling us)... well, I'm not sure there's an effective alternative.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Póg Mo Thoin
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hurtlander wrote:An interesting article....

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/04/02/BC ... s-Bill-11/

Lots of bias and hyperbole, from the headline right on through, and not a thorough examination of what the Bill 11 actually contains. While I'm still trying to find time to wade through Bill 11 properly myself, it would be nice to get someone else's take on it. But I'm afraid I can't put a lot of stock in opinion pieces from the Tyee. They have a very blindered view of every subject they cover, and their sales depend far too heavily on them sensationalizing whatever facts there are.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

rustled wrote: They have a very blindered view of every subject they cover, and their sales depend far too heavily on them sensationalizing whatever facts there are.

Sounds to me like you have a very black and white outlook, it's either what you want to believe to be true, or it's wrong..
Póg Mo Thoin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

rustled wrote:But I'm afraid I can't put a lot of stock in opinion pieces from the Tyee. They have a very blindered view of every subject they cover, and their sales depend far too heavily on them sensationalizing whatever facts there are.

Sure, and there are many people who feel any coverage of BC politics by the Vancouver Sun, any Black Press publication, or Global BC is just as biased.....
Póg Mo Thoin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Póg Mo Thoin
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

rustled wrote:But I'm afraid I can't put a lot of stock in opinion pieces from the Tyee. They have a very blindered view of every subject they cover, and their sales depend far too heavily on them sensationalizing whatever facts there are.

Hurtlander wrote:Sure, and there are many people who feel any coverage of BC politics by the Vancouver Sun, any Black Press publication, or Global BC is just as biased.....

Yes, I agree. Especially when it comes to the various agencies' opinion pieces, which are even more targeted to their own particular audiences.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

It is my belief that the Liberals are trying to reel in ALL unions and have started (for the most part) on the teachers union. There have been recent changes in the governance of this provinces paramedics that have been largely ignored. I guess if it does not effect your babysitting expenses then it is no real problem until you need an ambulance. The liberals are all about cuts to services and those who provide those services. The only time it is complained about is when you require said services.
The teachers strike is fresh in every ones mind and the wounds are still open. The fact that this provinces paramedics have been legislated back almost more times then a negotiated settlement has been reached and that at no time did their strikes effect in one iota the timely response to your emergency has never once been noticed by anyone in politics or on this board.
Just to be clear on one argument that is sure to come the Paramedics did not initiate the RAP protocol that prioritises responses and delays calls, that was another government initiative.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

mrs.bandaid wrote:It is my belief that the Liberals are trying to reel in ALL unions and have started (for the most part) on the teachers union.

That's exactly what this governments agenda is. Look how the government just ordered school districts to cut 23 million from admin costs this year and 25 million next year, school custodial services and transportation fall under administration costs according to a recent interview with the superintendent of SD73, the writing is on the wall, these well paying CUPE jobs are about to be contracted out, Bill 11 will ensure that happens. Just like the well paying Union laundry services in IH are about to be contracted out....is it any wonder the unions were so quick to settle with the government, the read the writing on the wall, and even bending over for the government obviously hasn't helped them. There won't be very many of their members around at the end of their present contracts.....
Póg Mo Thoin
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

In so far as the cuts to education goes, what did the teachers think was going to happen? School boards still have to balance their budgets with the monies allotted them. Please don't kid yourselves about cuts to administration. These people are experts at finding ways to make themselves invaluable. The only ones that are going to be hurt by cuts are the new teachers. Once again thrown under the (school) bus by their union. Once again wondering what their union has done good for them lately?
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

So Bill 11 passed a week ago. Any parents out there have concerns about how your child's private data will be shared and used with the loosening of restrictions?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/lizanne-fo ... 66606.html
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Apparently not. I'm glad my last kid graduates this year.

Return to “Political Arena”